Brewer Fanatic

Luis Castillo

pogokat
If the Brewers were to move Weeks to Left Field and sign Luis Castillo to play 2nd, the team would likely improve substancially in obp and somewhat in defense. Castillo's lowest obp is .344, and that number came in the only season he ever batted under .290. While he doesn't swipe many bags anymore, he still gets on at a nice clip. best of all, he's a ffree agent and is only looking for a 2-3 year deal at 5 million per year or so.. so the brewers could pay for him with the money saved from graffy and koskie... there's probably something i'm missing here, but he's someone i've thought of as a decent targter for awhile..

I'd like to see Castillo in Milwaukee, but for defensive purposes I'd do something like this...Castillo to second, Weeks to center, Hall to 3rd and Braun to left. The obvious problem with that is 2/3 of the outfield learning a new position. With Castillo, would you bat him leadoff and move Weeks to 6th or 8th, or bat him second and move Hardy to 6th or 8th?

If we are going to start moving guys around again, why not fix last year's problem and move Braun to LF and Hall to 3b while sticking Gwynn in CF?? I mean, if the goal is to make the defense better I think that would go a long way in doing so. Weeks wasnt that bad last year.

If we are going to start moving guys around again, why not fix last year's problem and move Braun to LF and Hall to 3b while sticking Gwynn in CF?? I mean, if the goal is to make the defense better I think that would go a long way in doing so. Weeks wasnt that bad last year.

I suppose that depends on how good Gwynn Jr. really is. I'm not just talking about Defensive Range and glove ability, I mean can he realistically outproduce someone like Luis Castillo?

Given Jr's apparent lack of power, he'd have to be a .300 batter with efficient skills at both basestealing and taking walks- consistantly- in order for his presence to not be a literal blackhole in the lineup.

Remember the Counsell/Graffanino nightmare before Braun came up? Can Gwynn do better than that?

Castillo is 32, and he's averaged an obp over .360 for the last 5 years

Gwynn is 25 and he has averaged an obp of .345 or so in AAA..

yeah, I really don't think they are comparable...castillo can also slug over .380, something TGJ has only done once...and gwynn is coming off a season where he had an ops 40 points lower than castillo's, onlt castillo was in the majors and gwynn was in AAA...

improving defense is a small part of this...adding a great deal of obp to the lineup in the form of a player that hits .290 for 5 million bucks was the main point...he hits about as well as aaron rowand has over the last 3 years, except he'll cost 70 million less

hhaah thats funny, lets move all our young players around when Melvin and Co have said about 10X thats not going to happen.. remind me again whats your position in the Brewers organization.. o ya.. forgot sorry

people got all the answers nowadays I love it

hhaah thats funny, lets move all our young players around when Melvin and Co have said about 10X thats not going to happen.. remind me again whats your position in the Brewers organization.. o ya.. forgot sorry

people got all the answers nowadays I love it

Waits for b19 to lay down the smack.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

I like the idea of Castillo but I just get the feeling that he's going to re-sign with the Mets who don't really have a 2nd baseman (unless you have confidence in Jose Valentin or Ruben Gotay.) Never hurts to give it a shot though.

Thanks, it's nice to know that at least some people acknowledge the rules that we have around here.

Well let me say you have a certain presence when you enter the room, or in this case umm forum I guess. Your moderating skills are better than Vince Condella's weather forecasts. Wow that was pretty lame.

Catillo's legs are falling apart. He's had nagging injuries the past few years and his defense and running ability have suffered because of it. While playing on grass would probably be a huge improvement from playing on the asphalt at the Metrodome, I'm not sure how wise it would be to sign a player who probably can't stay healthy enough to play more then ~130 games or so, even with the kinder playing surface.

Castillo is ok, but I don't think he's worth shuffling around 3-4 positions to make room for him.

I don't think we'd be shuffling the defense for him. I believe this team would be better defensively with Braun in Left and Hall at 3rd, regardless of whether or not we get Castillo

I just don't see us shuffling the positions. After the stride Rickie made last year at 2B (at least early in the year), I think the Brewers have a lot of faith in him.

If we were going to move anyone to the outfield - Braun obviously make the most sense.

I think the bigger picture here, and I thought of this a few weeks ago as well - is that the Brewers might very well be in the market for a new leadoff hitter. Hart looked great in the 5 spot, and I expect him to man that position as well next year. Weeks really discovered his power stroke in the last month of the season and might need to be moved down to accommodate his home run power. (And I pray Gwynn is playing in Colorado next year)

Archived