Brewer Fanatic

10/14/07: D-Backs (Hernandez) at Rockies (Fogg) 7:30p CDT

TooLiveBrew

Neither pitcher has been especially hot of late, with Fogg's 5 hit, 5 walk 6 2/3 inning performance on Sept. 26 being the deepest either hurler has been able to go since the 1st of September. Livan Hernandez's 5 hit, 5 walk, 2 strikeout, 6 inning effort back in game 3 of the NLDS (at Wrigley) was good enough for TBS to tag him as the 'Player of the Game,' at which I laughed heartily.

Fogg's most recent start was 4 IP during the one-game playoff vs. San Diego. He surrendered 8 hits, a HR, and walked 2 before getting the hook. So, basically, tonight we've got two pitchers that aren't exactly a sabermetrician's dream going head to head. Both guys pitch to contact, which works because of their defense's success. Both starters allow a relatively high number of baserunners, so double plays will likely help tell this story, too (much like in the game 3 elimination of the Cubs).

The bullpens will likely play a major role in deciding the outcome of what is likely to be a relatively high-scoring game (my guess). I'm not talking 10-8 or anything, but Hernandez was ridiculously lucky to only surrender one run against the Cubs, while Fogg was not lucky and ended up getting touched pretty well back on Oct. 1st. Both bullpens are likely to come into play by the 6th inning or so, and given the teams' familiarity with one another, should make for a great managerial chess game.

My pick tonight is Colorado, since the starting pitchers seem to be a wash, and the home field advantage will likely be huge for the Rockies. However, I really feel that this game could come down to which SP doesn't dole out his average number (or higher) of free passes. Both teams play good D, but the Rockies led the NL (tied w/Philly) in OBP with .354, while the D-Backs came in dead last at .321. In a game where BBs will likely factor in hugely, this could be the difference.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

yea, good call, Automator. Except for that whole pesky name thing http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif But, to be fair, it's a great summary of how much Chip Caray is obnoxious that you mistook him for Joe Suck. I actually made that mistake earlier in the NLDS, fwiw.

Did either Buck or Caray work Division Series games? Because I didn't mind the NLDS guys I heard on TBS. I didn't see much of the ALDS.

Every year, nowadays, this is one of the few silver linings I take from the Brewers not being in the postseason: no bad national coverage. Though I wonder what factoids about the 2007 Brewers they would have insisted on beating like a dead horse.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I like hearing Tony Gwynn, but I do have to wonder if Brenly + Caray v2.0 > Gwynn. Those two dopes are awful.

HEY! HAVE THERE BEEN ANY DOUBLE-PLAYS THIS SERIES? http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/mad.gif

EDIT: Though I wonder what factoids about the 2007 Brewers they would have insisted on beating like a dead horse.

p-b-p guy: 'Now here's a guy - Chris Cappa-wanno - who didn't get a win in SIX-TEEN straight starts. And now here he is, PITCHING IN THE NLCS. What a story'

color guy: 'My! I think that was a product of him pressing - trying to do too much. I think you see now he's been able to settle down, and help his team reach the postseason. He really was able to get his curveball going again, and that's been a key.'

Not the NLDS, my bad. Caray did the Yankees-Indians series and seemed to be openly rooting for the Yankees at times. That probably played a big role in why I mistook him for Joe Buck.

And if the Brewers were in the postseason, we'd probably be hearing some crap about how the "veteran presence" of Johnny Estrada and others "led the way" for the rest of the incredibly young team.

Ryan Spilborghs' walkup music appears to be that infectious (like the plague is infectious) Gwen Stefani song whose title I don't know or need to know, but the chorus includes "woo-hoo! YEE-hoo!" For me, this cancels out the local attraction that he used to be a Madison Mallard.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Caray: "Taveras has really put a lot of pressure on this Arizona defense..."

Yea, if you call an 0-fer including multiple crappy attempts at bunt hits 'putting on pressure,' you're right, Chip. Seriously, why do guys think that just speed will earn you bunt hits? That first one Taveras laid down was just embarassing - looked like a last-minute sacrifice bunt, not a drag bunt. I miss Kenny Lofton executing the drag bunt back in his heyday. THAT was a thing of beauty.

hawing, your Stefani repulsion has entertained me numerous times on this forum. I love it! http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif

Best quote so far in this vein: "that infectious (like the plague is infectious) Gwen Stefani song whose title I don't know or need to know"

This can apply to any G.S. song.

Caray: "I'm amazed by the fearlessness of these young Colorado pitchers so far." ??? Chip, go home.

Did either Buck or Caray work Division Series games? Because I didn't mind the NLDS guys I heard on TBS. I didn't see much of the ALDS.

Every year, nowadays, this is one of the few silver linings I take from the Brewers not being in the postseason: no bad national coverage. Though I wonder what factoids about the 2007 Brewers they would have insisted on beating like a dead horse.

The NLDS and ALDS were both on TBS so no Buck during that round since he broadcasts for Fox but as another poster mentioned Caray worked the Yankees-Indians series.

I'm guessing the Cecil-Prince relationship would have been one thing beaten to death if the Brewers had made the postseason.

We would have scored quite a few more runs in all likelihood. 4 runs at Coors Field would likely not beat our Crew. With a shortened pitching rotation of Sheets, Yo, & Soup (or Yo, Soup, & Villy), I think we could have given the Rockies (or whomever) a run for their money.

*sips blue Kool-Aid* http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/happy.gif

Archived