Brewer Fanatic

A-Rod just pawn in game of life (Agrees to new deal with Yanks)

splitterpfj
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much did Bonds make when he was in his 40s. And when ARod signed his last 10 year deal what was the going rate for top tier players? In 7 years this deal might well be within "reason" with other high profile baseball players.

And the agent gets 2%? I always thought they got more than that.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I also heard the talk on XM yesterday about how it could possibly be against the CBA for the Yankees not to negotiate with Boras. If that's true what a joke! Yes, Let's just take the best interests of the game and flush them down the toilet.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It'll be interesting to see what happens on the CBA end of this. The Yankees could get in some trouble for not negotiating with Boras, unless A-Rod fires Boras. If a player is represented, teams need to go through his agent. That is what they are there for. If a player wants to negotiate his own deal, he needs to fire his agent.

In any case the best we can hope for is that A-Rod goes back to the Yankees for less dollars overall. That should sufficiently weaken him short term for players to think twice.

Of course if A-Rod fired Borass I would become his #1 fan and I'd start supporting the Yankees--never gonna happen. Dang.

Hate to tell you this, but Boras did his job. He got ARod a huge extension and a raise over his previous deal. Hard to say "Boras relly sucks, he only got his player a 7 year extension into his 40s and a 2 million dollar a year riase"

But he could have done that for A-rod weeks ago and not taken the PR hit. Plus that would've helped the Yankees because the Rangers would still be paying part of his contract for the next three years. I don't think there was any question that he would get a larger contract than his previous one, so I would disagree that he did his job.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

With Boras, the conspiracy theories are numerous, so here's one more: Are the Rangers close to inking any of Boras's other clients for relatively big money? I wonder if the opt-out (thus freeing up big money for Tex.) could potentially have had anything to do with that.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

According to ESPN Sportscenter the Stay-Rod deal is now done. 10 years, $275 million, marketing monies being shared when he breaks the all time home run record. Wow, I wish he was my uncle.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This bit is hilarious.......

"There are a few cynics who say, 'Well, he really couldn't get this there,' " Steinbrenner said. "Trust me, he would have gotten probably more. He is making a sacrifice to be a Yankee, there's no question. ... He showed what was really in his heart and what he really wanted."

Yes, he's making a sacrifice. Taking barely over a quarter of a billion dollars (man, when you say it like that......), he's a true prince.

If a player is represented, teams need to go through his agent. That is what they are there for. If a player wants to negotiate his own deal, he needs to fire his agent.

No, that's not true. Players can represent themselves at any time should they choose.

It'll be interesting to see how much damage, if any, Boras' reputation takes from this debacle.

Boras' reputation won't take a hit at all. He still represents an impressive collection of the best players in the nation, from the big-leagues to high school.

And the big winners out of all of this is the Texas Rangers.

I mentioned this before Arod opted out of his previous contract, wondering if Arod (and Boras) did so intentionally to save the Rangers (and Boras buddy Tom Hicks) some cash in the process. The Yankees claim that Arod will be held accountable so to speak for this when he signs his next deal with them, but a 10-year, $270M deal doesn't exactly sound like a concession.

But he could have done that for A-rod weeks ago and not taken the PR hit. Plus that would've helped the Yankees because the Rangers would still be paying part of his contract for the next three years. I don't think there was any question that he would get a larger contract than his previous one, so I would disagree that he did his job.

Doesn't matter to A-Rod or Boras who pays the salary as long as it gets paid. The Yankees were stupid for not signing an extension to keep $21M of the Rangers money. As far as Boras and A-Rod are concerned, A-Rod got a raise and extension, bottom line.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

What happened to "He's not a true Yankee" and all the venom spewing from the Steinbrenners and the Yankee brass? Obviously they stepped back and realized they needed him just as much as he needed them and they wanted to get it done. It will be interesting to see what Boras has to say about all of this!

Yay! Ten more years of the Yankees NOT winning the World Series!!!*

*-subject to change, based on the baseball gods' mood in late-Sept. through October.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The Yankees were stupid for not signing an extension to keep $21M of the Rangers money.

What extension was that? Boras came in with some ridiculous $350 mil. number. This was an opt-out from the word go. If you couldn't see that he would opt out (especially after Aramis Ramirez's success in doing so at the same position), you don't know A-Rod. The Yankess had nothing to do with losing that money from Tex. The only way they could have kept it was something Alex wasn't interested in considering.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived