Brewer Fanatic

A-Rod just pawn in game of life (Agrees to new deal with Yanks)

splitterpfj
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't get it either. I mean anyone would try to get as high of a salary as they could, no matter what job they had.

That's not necessarily true. A lot of factors go into whether or not to take a job, even in baseball. This past year Ron Villone turned down offers to stay with the Yankees, even started the year in the minors, because he wanted to be close to his kids in Jersey. Interestingly his agent is Boras.

Really don't see how ARod not getting $30 million is a victory for fans. Do you have a party when Attanasio makes an extra $10 million?

First off, I don't hate or demonize A-Rod. Don't know where that came from. The slower salaries escalate, the slower ticket prices escalate. That's all I meant. Why would I ever say a guy shouldn't get as much as he can? That'd just be hypocritical of me.

Btw, my Attanasio +$10 mil.!WOO!T!!@!T! party will be taking place after the final game of the 2008 WS. End, you can be the guest of honor. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If there is collusion then the owners (GMs) are deciding amongst themselves who will get A-Rod. I just don't see any teams deciding they really don't want A-Rod when they can outbid for his services.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Really don't see how ARod not getting $30 million is a victory for fans. Do you have a party when Attanasio makes an extra $10 million?

First off, I don't hate or demonize A-Rod. Don't know where that came from. The slower salaries escalate, the slower ticket prices escalate. That's all I meant. Why would I ever say a guy shouldn't get as much as he can? That'd just be hypocritical of me.

Btw, my Attanasio +$10 mil.!WOO!T!!@!T! party will be taking place after the final game of the 2008 WS. End, you can be the guest of honor. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Ticket prices are fairly independent of salaries. Ticket prices go up when demand goes up.

Trust me, if a business owner thinks you'll pay more for what he's selling, the price is going up. They won't care one bit about how much they're paying for labor, materials, whatever - they'll keep raising prices until their customers show them that they've maxed out.

Ticket prices are fairly independent of salaries. Ticket prices go up when demand goes up.

they'll keep raising prices until their customers show them that they've maxed out.

Ok - didn't think that was the case.

Rodriguez apparently approached the Yankees through a third-party intermediary. "He went to them," said the source.

Wow - this just got interesting.

"Alex is going to be back with the Yankees," the source said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been made public. "The Yankees don't have a choice. How are they going to compete without Alex? They need him back."

If this is true, I'd say it's a reasonable deal for both sides. The funny thing is any way you slice it, Boras helped manufacture this. If he'd have been pushing that A-Rod would get $375 mil., he might've gotten a few more mill. added on.

A second Yankees source said that the team believes A-Rod is trying to restore his image, which has taken a beating since Boras announced the opt-out during Game 4 of the World Series.

By taking a contract below market value, Rodriguez would be showing fans that it wasn't all about getting the most money, and that he truly wants to finish his career in pinstripes.

Whaaa?? Who said that he's signing below market value? Wouldn't there have to be higher offers that he turned down?

As the CS Lewis character would say, "Logic! Why don't they teach logic at these schools?"

The confusing thing is that the Yankees cannot NOT negotiate with Boras, since that is against the collective bargaining agreement. At least that's how they made it sound on XM earlier this afternoon.

How could it be against the CBA? Doesn't A-Rod ultimately get to say who represents him?

Ok I never thought I would be kind of disapointed in someone getting multiple contracts over a quarter million.......... but I want to see something crazy where ARod gets $300M+ and screws over the Yankees. I was kind of pumped to see everyone go, but now everyone is back, and they might sign Lowell to play first.

This was kind of like getting ready for Rhythm and Boom fireworks and getting the county fair variety. Even if you don't like the fireowrks, you still have to watch and admire them when they're good.

Someone is saying 10 years, $275M.

Given the money in baseball, i can see why a team would pay a great talent like Arod 27 million per, but 10 years? By all accounts he keeps himself in great shape, he'll be in his 40's though for a few of those seasons the Yanks would be paying him that 27 million per. I know the Yankees have their own money printing press, but if this rumor is true, i'd have a hard time giving any player already in his 30's a huge cash 10 year deal.

Archived