Brewer Fanatic

A-Rod just pawn in game of life (Agrees to new deal with Yanks)

splitterpfj
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who knows,maybe he doesn't care about things like that.I'm just thinking if i was in his shoes,these things would matter to me,to what degree though i'm not exactly sure given i'm not in his shoes.

You're onto it right here, danzig. He cares more about his money than anything like allegiance, etc. He's going to go down in history as MLB's most talented mercenary.

Sounds like Boras (not surprisingly) tried to hold the Yankees hostage and force their hand. An ok strategy, given that they have the deepest coffers in MLB. But it backfired, and now Boras is going to have to settle for a bidding war without the luxury of having NYY on which to lean for leverage. Sure, Bos. & others can pay almost as much, but I really think Boras goofed when he burned bridges with his highest potential bidder.

That salary quote is absurd - not in the 'athlete makes millions' kind of way, but in the 'why would you even try that' kind of way. Imho Rodriguez is going to get considerably less with the Yankees out of the picture. And if that's true, this was a horrible gamble by Boras, and one that he lost.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Noone should take his contract, Boras is going to ruin baseball. A-Rod is probably the best 3B, but look how many hitters are on the Yankees for him to drive in. Now you have to wonder how much Braun should be worth, jeez. Braun could get a 20 mil a year deal if he was a FA

Stevo wrote:

Can't blame the guy for asking when the owners are willing to pay it.

Scott Boras: Could I perhaps have two Mega Rangers?

Team Owners: Yes, darling. You can have anything you want.

I think we need Cesar Milan to come and straighten some things out.

Who knows,maybe he doesn't care about things like that.I'm just thinking if i was in his shoes,these things would matter to me,to what degree though i'm not exactly sure given i'm not in his shoes.

You're onto it right here, danzig. He cares more about his money than anything like allegiance, etc. He's going to go down in history as MLB's most talented mercenary

That what i was thinking in my post.You see most superstars after they retire, they have usually played in at least one place for quite awhile and are fondly looked upon forever by that team and it's fans.The player comes back here and there for various team functions/ceremonies long after that player is retired to an adoring fan base.

At this point so far, if Arod was retiring today, would any city he's played in have any sort of long standing affection for him?Think of almost all of the truly great players in any pro sport, you usually connect them with at least one team even if they played for more than one. Arod may go down as the greatest player of all time in baseball and when he retires, possibly not a single team he's played for will have fans with a strong affection for him.If he signs another huge contract and a few years in forced another trade, mercenary might be his label.Have cash, will travel.He'd then maybe have to flip a coin to see what hat to wear into the Hall.

I don't hate the guy like many do, but if he does care about his legacy beyond just being a great player, establishing himself with a team/city might help.

Danzig, what you say makes sense. But he's only 32, and because I don't hate him, I choose to believe he's simply still trying to find a home. If he finds a team to give him his 7-8 year contract he wants, he would be there until he's 40 if he plays it out. He may find a place where the fans appreciate him, and ownership truly wants him there.

A-Rod is worth whatever some clown will pay him. Also, he may take this one in the shorts (if having to settle for $300-million is taking it). However it falls, all I know is I shudder to see what the 'Crew is going to face with Prince, et al. A good problem that other teams actually vaule your players, but still.

Just thinking outloud, but just suppose some Japanese team came up with $3billion Yen or something...?

Apparently, many believe Boras has overplayed his hand on this one. Agents are openly rooting against him, and telling the press that anyone who hears he has an offer from another team should "Demand to see the fax."

With Miguel Cabrera as an awesome fallback for teams who missed on Mike Lowell in the first place, it is very possible that A-Rod won't get the monster deal he had envisioned.

The Mets are hovering around A-Rod, and it seems as though both the Angels and Giants have legitimate interest, but the Red Sox and Yankees claim they're out, and a lot of the teams you'd think of are trying to deal for Cabrera first.

Oh please....I could use a good laugh.

That brings up an interesting question...would you like to see the Cubs sign A-Rod? On the one hand, in the short term, he would make their lineup deadly, and probably take them deep into the playoffs, if not get them a World Championship. In the long term, such a huge contract, coupled with their huge spending last off-season, could potentially cripple the Cubs organization for years to come.

I'm thinking A-Rod on the Northside wouldn't be such a bad thing for the Brewers (in the long run).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

No thanks. The Cubs will be hard-pressed to have money troubles. A high payroll with players who aren't worth the full amount of their contracts? Yes. Crippled? Doubtful. A-Rod not in a ChC uni in 2008 is all I ask.

Apparently, many believe Boras has overplayed his hand on this one.

Count me as one.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And because Boras overplayed his hand and now A-Rod and the MLBPA are stuck trying to save face:

The union is crying about potential collusion by teams over A-Rod

Cry me a river. If Boras wouldn't engage in underhanded tactics like phantom bids, this discussion would never be taking place. I think what's happening is a perfectly acceptable response to Boras' past and present actions.

It would be a huge victory for the owners (& indirectly, the fans) if A-Rod didn't get $30 mil. AAV. Salaries are escalating quickly enough as it is.

I think the number of years his also a huge factor. My guess is at least a few teams would be willing to pay Arod 27-30 million, but the biggest thing i'm curious about is the number of years he gets at that huge yearly salary. Will a team go 8-9 years?

I think fans have been conditioned by the owners to feel that way, End. The owners have done a good job, if that's the case.

Owners will pay the players whatever the market can bare. If you want to argue that the severe financial inequality between teams is bad for the league, you won't get an argument from me. But to demonize players for trying to take the greatest share of the league revenue that they can just doesn't make sense, IMO.

Really don't see how ARod not getting $30 million is a victory for fans. Do you have a party when Attanasio makes an extra $10 million?

As to New York, ARod wanted out and obviously parts of the Yankees wanted him gone.

On the other hand, why would I have a party about one player making more than the owner of the entire team does?

Archived