Brewer Fanatic

A-Rod just pawn in game of life (Agrees to new deal with Yanks)

splitterpfj

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes a "baseball insider." No better source than that! Boras is telling ARod facts we don't want him to know! Its like brainwashing!

Best part? Steve Phillips say Mets have no place for ARod. Expect him to sign with the Mets by Jan 1st.

I've always felt like Boras is a product of the MLB marketplace, not the reverse. All it would take is for the owners to refuse to cave to what can be outlandish demands, and he would not exist as this present version. Trouble is, Boras is intelligent enough to know that all he needs is one of the 30 teams, and that when the player is good enough, there's no way all 30 will pass.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Can you hate Boras for screwing up the draft so that only the big payroll teams can afford the top line talent he represents? Those players don't have anything to do with the record profits the owners supposedly make.

Yep, that's my main beef too.

Can you hate Boras for screwing up the draft so that only the big payroll teams can afford the top line talent he represents? Those players don't have anything to do with the record profits the owners supposedly make.

Yeah Prince Fielder has nothing to do with the Brewers success!

Actually I think the draft bonuses are about nothing but the players getting a larger share of the owners' money. If Boras hadn't figured out how to do it somebody else would. Boras can't be blamed for the fact that the owners have not agreed to a more balanced financial footing like the NFL.

Actually I think the draft bonuses are about nothing but the players getting a larger share of the owners' money. If Boras hadn't figured out how to do it somebody else would. Boras can't be blamed for the fact that the owners have not agreed to a more balanced financial footing like the NFL.

There isn't more draft slotting not due to union pressure since the union would rather see the money spent on major league rosters. Is due to the fact that MLB requires 25 owners to agree to anything.

There isn't more draft slotting not due to union pressure since the union would rather see the money spent on major league rosters. Is due to the fact that MLB requires 25 owners to agree to anything.

Who said the union had anything to do with it? The players Boras is helping getting more money from the owners in this case are the ones being drafted. The 25 owner agreement rule is solely the creation of the owners. If the owners agree to a more competitive financial footing the best agent (the one you might hire if you were the best player on the market) would not have so much of an effect on the poorer teams..

• 2 weeks later...
You bet. That offer will still be there in FA.

I will die laughing if he turns it down, the Yankees stick to their guns, and A-Rod winds up with, well, nothing.

I honestly think that he's vain enough to turn it down and sign elsewhere just because of how the "New York Media" has treated him in the past. He wants to be top dog and he knows he'll never be that in New York. And to him, his ego needs that far more than he needs the money. He wants to be THE face of the franchise; he does not want to have to contend with a Derek Jeter for that position.

Well it's not really there in FA because the Yankees only have a couple of days to sign him if he declares, after that they are out of the race until May. That extension would net him a career payout of what 400+ million dollars?? Boras may talk fancy about the last leverage argument or whatever, but the CBA has to say that his odds of getting a comparable deal from any other team is small.

I'm getting more and more excited about A-Rod leaving New York. Will they be above .500 next season? Its not like they can find a superstar in FA...there are none.

Of course, the NY media will put 100% of the blame on not having Joe Torre (which will be more like 4% of the reason), and will take out their anger on Stienbrenner and the new manager - While A-Rod leads the Sox, Angels, or someone else deep into the postseason... I'll be loving it.

I have to imagine Boras wouldn't let Arod out unless he knew for sure he'd get a contract worth close to what the Yankees were offering.
I honestly think (or rather, hope) that this is a case of Boras' hubris finally catching up to him.

My guess is that A-Rod gets offers in the $22-25 million/year range over 5-6 years.

Don't the Cubs need a SS? His value only goes up considering he moves back to his natural position.

I don't think the Cubs are going to be big players in the A-Rod sweepstakes, especially not with the team's sale being hammered out. While it didn't preclude spending before this season, I do think it will limit how much more salary the team is willing to take on right now.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but during the broadcast this evening they mentioned that because Arod is opting out of his contract the Rangers are now off the hook for $21M they would pay the Yankees for Arod's deal for the next three years (2008-10). That's a huge chunk of change I'm sure the Rangers are thrilled to have off of their payroll.

While $21M is nothing compared to the extension the Yankees just offered Arod, does anyone think, given how close Scott Boras is to Rangers owner Tom Hicks, that there may be a little money exchanging hands under the table to help make this decision all the easier? I'm usually not a fan of conspiracy theories, but this one at least makes a ton of sense.

I wouldn't rule out the Cubs, and to be honest that frightens me. However, I have read that the Giants plan to make some noise this offseason now that they're not paying Bonds what they were, and of course the Angels and Red Sox have to be in the conversation.

And to be honest, I think the Yankees will be better off in the long run without this deal. I think the revenue sharing has taken a toll on the team in recent years, as the organizatin's re-dedication to the draft and player development in general IMO is no coincidence. It's all relative of course, as they'll still have the biggest payroll in baseball, but the gap won't be as great.

Archived