Brewer Fanatic

need help w/ milwaukee tv & internet

crackley

Ive been in whitewater for the last 6 years. i dealt with charter. i thought they were ok... until i moved to milwaukee.

i now have time warner cable (bundled?) with RR internet. i pay extra money for the super high speed crappy slow cable internet. i cannot figure out what i am supposed to be getting in terms of speed. i am pretty sure the regular high speed internet just went up to 7 mbps. i went to the rr.com site and did a speed test. for DL, it was something like 2.3 mbps. it was so slow, it couldnt even finish the UL. btw, i live in an old hospital that was rebuilt into apts. they could be old cables, but thats no excuse. i dont think my computer is the problem, because i have a real computer, my girlfriend has a mac, and i also have an xbox 360. the connection always sucks. ive called rr numerous times. they say thats just the way it goes deal with it.

by the way, i cannot go with a dish because i live in a "historic" apartment complex. i am only allowed to show my plain white blinds from my windows and there can only be AC units seen from above.

a few questions.

1. what SHOULD my speed be knowing that i pay EXTRA money above and beyond the regular internet.

2. what can i do to help things? would securing my wireless router make a noticeable difference by keeping other apts off my system?

3. do routers get old and out of shape? ive had it for a while, but it worked great right up until i moved to milwaukee.

4. would att be better? i think they offer 3mpbs dsl.

i dont care if each Q is answered. i just would like some help, im getting EXTREMELY frustrated. we pay 120/month and it takes me 10 seconds to load bf.net homepage. i keep getting kicked out of my HALO 3 games. it goes on. all i ask is some good advice!! PLEASE!http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/ohwell.gif

1) you should be getting about 5mbps. At peak it may slow down but 2.3 mbps isn't cutting it.

2) Do make sure you wireless network is closed. If someone is leaching off you they could be killing your speed.

3) The router is unlikely the problem

4) Maybe

The problem could either be the wiring or the load. Has no one from Time Warner come out to test the connection? They almost are over eager to send people out to me. If its that just too many people in the building are using cable internet not much can be done except changing to DSL.

Archived