Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball Season

brewcrew00

That is correct. 7:00 tonight at the Kohl Center. Admission is free. We're planning to go.

I don't know if it's a "family" event as such. Last year, I thought they'd had a separate cardinal-white scrimmage. I wonder if tonight's event is more geared toward the student fan.

In any case - if you can't attend in person, check this uwbadgers.com link.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We got back a little while ago. It was an all-ages crowd, though the only people invited to participate in on-court activities (free throw contest, etc.) were students.

Coach and player introductions (done to music with some players and even coaches busting moves), a 3 point shooting contest (Tim Jarmusz won), a dunk contest (Marcus Landry won), and a little bit of warming up. The student contests were free throw shooting and half court (that contestant almost won). This all took about an hour and was followed by an hour long autograph session, but we didn't stay for that.

For reasons I didn't quite get, the Badgers will be honoring the 1941 national champions this season. At one game in December players will dress in 1941 retro uniforms. The auction to buy yourself one of said uniforms starts sooner than that. (I should point out, I don't have a problem with their honoring the '41 team; I don't know why in 2007-08, as it's not a 'milestone' anniversary.)

It was kinda goofy, but fun enough. I don't think I would have traveled from out of town for it.

Finally - there is a basketball Family Fun Day. I think they said Sunday, October 21 but I did not catch the time, and I don't see it on uwbadgers.com.

So that promotional announcement was for the anniversary celebration? I was hoping it would be something like, "in 2007, we're gonna try to get the student section to actually cheer for a change."

Seriously, Kohl Center feels like a mausoleum for non-important games. At least they still sellout consistently.

The Badgers play @ UW-M in December...I wonder what the crowd split will be like as far as fans goes. I will definitely be heading out there for that one. Go Badgers!

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but MU landed a 2009 commitment this afternoon. A guy named Erik Williams out of Cypress Creek Texas. As a sophomore he averaged 11.9 points and something like 8.5 rebounds and also set some record with like 102 blocked shots. He's 6'7'' but says he sees himself as a wing type player in college. Scout.com has him listed as a 3 star player. Nice to see MU with an early commitment.

Did anyone attend Midnight Madness at the AL last night? Any word on Iman Shumpert and which school he's favoring or when he'll make the announcement? He's rated as high as the 15th best overall player in this years class and would be a huge get for Tom Crean and Marquette.

what do you mean, this will be the historic 66th anniversary of the championship team

67th, actually (1940-41 to 2007-08); and once UW can make a compelling case for what's special about 67 years, I'll be fully on board!

So that promotional announcement was for the anniversary celebration? I was hoping it would be something like, "in 2007, we're gonna try to get the student section to actually cheer for a change."
Seriously, Kohl Center feels like a mausoleum for non-important games. At least they still sellout consistently.

The Badgers play @ UW-M in December...I wonder what the crowd split will be like as far as fans goes. I will definitely be heading out there for that one. Go Badgers!

No kidding w-fan. I had student tix a few years, and felt the same thing. Too much of the, "Oh my gaaawd, let's totally get there halfway through the second period and, like, talk to our friends on our cell phooones! Then we can leave halfway through the third quarter - I don't even like basketball anyway" crowd. Give up your tickets to someone that cares! http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/mad.gif

[my son] started watching last year, and likes to guess how many points the shot was worth.

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif Too cute!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Family Fun Day might be a good time to take my son down, he started watching last year, and likes to guess how many points the shot was worth.

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif

Does he know there's only 2 and 3 point shots and free throws are worth 1 point or not yet and you just let him guess any number?

the number of student basketball tickets available on ebay and craigslist is disgusting.

they need to take attendance. give you one or two misses (for classes, studying, etc) but then your tickets are gone. maybe a plan for winter break as well.

or at least if they make you swipe an id and you give your ticket to a friend, you could give them your id to swipe.

most people wouldnt give their id to a stranger to swipe to show they were there.

i understand the people have the right to do whatever with their tickets, but when so many people got nothing, it is just wrong.

(note...i had student tickets 4 years and missed 2 games...had to work)

Did anyone attend Midnight Madness at the AL last night? Any word on Iman Shumpert and which school he's favoring or when he'll make the announcement? He's rated as high as the 15th best overall player in this years class and would be a huge get for Tom Crean and Marquette.
It might be old news to you now, but sources say Shumpert will make his decision on Thursday. He hasn't given any hints yet, and has reasons for picking each of his final three--Marquette (close to home, can play Point Guard for a highly ranked Big East team), North Carolina (history of sending LOTS of players to the NBA, can play in the ACC, but probably wouldn't be a PG) and Georgia Tech (can play PG right away in the ACC). Shumpert looks like the kind of player that could succeed on any team in any league. It would be a great day for MU Basketball if he commits here, and if he does I'll be doing backflips all day. (Actually, first I'll have to learn how to do a backflip....then I'll do backflips.)

Anyone attend the Red-White Scrimmage and what did you think? My brother went and said the red team, which consisted mostly of the bench players, really put it on the white team, which was led by Butch, Landry, Steisma, and J-Bo. Apparently they were up by 20 at the half and then they intentionally evened up the score and the scrimmage ended in a tie. It's nice to see that we have a lot of depth but it's a little concerning when the starters get clobbered so bad. Any thoughts?

Archived