Brewer Fanatic

40 Man Roster

EbbaStClaire

I believe the 40 man roster has to be updated by all major league teams soon after the conclusion of the World Series. The Brewers current roster as published by Brewerfan.net is a document that may change quite dramatically. The Brewers current roster has only 38 players because the addition of Graffanino and Koskie is not official. Presumably, the 40 or less players on that roster are the players the Brewers value the most either as components of the 2008 team, as trade value, or as players who must be protected from the rule 5 draft. There are obvious players who won't be included in the new roster: Cordero, Miller, Graffanino, Koskie, Linebrink and I suspect Jenkins. There certainly are a lot of players who may or may not be included; Anderson, Aquino, Dillon, Jones, King, McClung, Mench, Nix, Rivera, Rottino, and Stetter. I wouldn't include Wise but I know others would. I would include Dillon on my final list. Still depending on how one evaluates the players there could be 15-17 players on the 40 man bubble. The wild card is which minor leaguers have to be protected who currently are not protected. Which of the following players have to be protected? Rogers, Wahpepah, Salome, Chapman, Palmisano, Fermaint, Hinton, others?

As an unrelated side not anyone advocating a stronger pitching staff and better defense for the 2008 team should go to see the movie, The Final Season. I saw a preview this past Tuesday and its is a good but not great movie, primarily because the outcome is known. I was asked my opinion of the movie by a studio rep and told her they ought to send a copy to the Brewers as a training film.

Archived