Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Starters

Do you think the brewers need to add another starting pitcher before the deadline?I fear when we do finally get Sheets back we may be looking up at the Cubs,maybe even way up.Our starters with the exception of Yo and Vargas are just not getting it done.I know Vargas just went 8 innings the other night ,but hes a 5,6 inning guy,and for the most part all of our starters are.Our bullpen is feeling and looking a little run down.As a result they haven't been very good as of late.I don't think we can WIN the Central if we stand pat.The Cubs have 4 very good starters and one workhorse in Carlos.

One suggestion is maybe Jose Contreras from the sox.I know I know hes been awful this year , but maybe a change of teams and more importantly leagues is just what he needs.Hes a inning eater and has a proven track record.I think he could be had for almost nothing maybe a Lance nix and a low level prospect.Just some thoughts .Like to see we everybody else thinks.

No, we have 7 starters right now who are much better than anyone else we could get.

Sheets, Cappy, Gallardo, Bush, Vargas, Suppan and Villy.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The problem is the Brewers starter aren't getting deep into games. Going into the season it looked great on paper, Capuono, Bush, Suppan all where guys who should be going 7+ innings, Sheets when healthy should be doing the same, but it seems like every game the starter is getting pulled after 6, or getting pulled in the 6th.

Sheets, Cappy, Gallardo, Bush, Vargas, Suppan and Villy.

for that matter you can add Manny Parra. I really like what our rotation might look like next season, but unfortunately i think they are going to keep Parra and Villanueva in the bullpen. seems like a waste.

Quote:
I really like what our rotation might look like next season, but unfortunately i think they are going to keep Parra and Villanueva in the bullpen. seems like a waste.

Assuming all the pitchers stay healthy through the end of the season (which is never a very safe assumption), I think the Brewers will trade at least 2 of Capuano, Bush, and Vargas, in order to open a spot for Gallardo and 1 for Villanueva and Parra to fight over. I would love if they could trade Suppan instead because he has by far the least upside (at least on a team with defense like the Brewers') of any of their 8 good starters, but they probably can't because of his no-trade clause.

How about this team starts going with the best pitchers that it has. That means that Suppan must be held accountable for his lousy performance despite his ridiculous contract. If this team really wants to win they wont let Suppan stay in the rotation any longer. Unfortunately there is no accountability on this team if you have a large contract. Weeks can ride the pine because he is young and making no money yet Suppan can stay in the rotation because he is a veteran and makes lots of money. Sounds like a lot of garbage to me.

How about this team starts going with the best pitchers that it has. That means that Suppan must be held accountable for his lousy performance despite his ridiculous contract. If this team really wants to win they wont let Suppan stay in the rotation any longer. Unfortunately there is no accountability on this team if you have a large contract.

While this sounds like a vile rant, I actually agree with you. I don't want to see Suppan starting. I''ve been right 13 of his last 16 starts (and two of the starts I'm not counting he had a 4.50 ERA). He has not had a sub-3.00 ERA in a start since April nor has he had more than one quality start in a month since April. He is lucky his record is 8-9, and I'd rather see Parra or Villy starting over him right now.

Suppan's game log

Archived