Brewer Fanatic

Fox Sports Radio Rumors (Jenkins, Cordero, and other stuff)

I think he's also confusing Otsuka with Gagne, as it was long rumored that Jr. Gwynny was going to be the centerpiece for that trade. Then again, I also remember the hold-up in the deal for Gagne to us being that the Sox were offering "ML-Ready" players while we were only offering prospects, like Jr. Gwynny in AAA. Second of all, I would be ecstatic to imagine Wood shutting games down as our closer and Sheets/Prior/Yo starting next year's NLCS...against the WC winner, our illegitimate brothers to the South.

Prior is a long shot to ever be even an average major league pitcher again. Any deal he signs will be for very minimal guaranteed money with a lot of incentives. So while I wouldn't oppose the Brewers signing him, I also wouldn't hold out hope he ever gets close to what he was.

No way the Cubs pursue Posada. Did the guy who wrote that ever hear of Soto or realize that the Cubs still have Blanco under contract for next year?

I think there's a possibilty Jenkins could come back, but only after the Brewers exhaust other options via trades. But he's worth no more than $10 million/2 years, with an option perhaps for a third. I'd look for the Cubs to get in the mix on Jenkins too.

$26 million/3 years for Cordero is a fair offer. He's not a $10-12 million per year, 4 year guy. Whoever signs him for that will be sorry.

As for Franceour, hasn't the knock on him that he's allergic to the walk? I see he's improved somewhat in that area, and he sure brings a lot to the table in other areas. To quote Mr. Kostanza "he's got a rocket for an arm". It would take a lot to get him though.

Thanks for clarifiying the Gwynn for Gagne issue. Texas makes way more sense - I didn't think there was ANY chance we were discussing him with Boston.

I think that is a good offer for Cordero. I don't think he will take it. But it is fair.

As for Jenkins, the only way I would sign him to a multiyear deal would be if it was in the neighborhood of 3yrs 10million. But I would imagine he will be able to find 2 yrs and 10 million from someone else. The numbers in the rumor just make no sense, if we were going to bid that high we would just pick up his options.

Just to clear up some things that were said about Prior and guaranteed money. If the Cubs non-tender him, then he is a FA and can sign for market value, the 20% rule only applies to players offered arbitration. So once he is a FA, the market will dictate what he gets. That being said, I doubt he is ever a productive ML pitcher again.

I couldn't fathom why the Braves wouldn't keep Francoeur. He's quite possibly the best defensive RF in the league, and his offensive game is on the upswing. I'd kill to get Jeff Francoeur. I'd think the Braves would want at least Gallardo, Gamel, Escobar and Hammond.

Well, look at his numbers. Hart's dwarfed him this year. OBP, SLG...speed.

I think that he's a product of hype as much as ability after the SI cover that labeled him "The Natural".

I certainly think they'd take Gallardo for him straight up. I also don't think we'd comply.

Of course they'd take Gallardo straight up. The Brewers would likely take Gallardo straight up for Hart. Starting pitching is a premium.

i agree, i would not give a multiyear deal to Jenkins. If he wants to come back for let say 5 million to try to get to the playoffs, fine. Other than that, his numbers do not equate to his asking price. I agree on Wood and Prior. The reward is big, and at the right price the risk is small, sounds like another melvin reclamation project, like sharpie.

But he's a 23 year-old corner OF who is already average, and is a top defensive RF. He might well be a star in a couple years.

Yo is untouchable to me, but I think many are undervaluing Jeff. He may not be as goos as Hart, but he's still a year or two younger as well. When he peaks in 2011, he might be top 5 in the game.

And yes, it's scary to consider how good Prince might be as well.

With his plate discipline, I don't see Francouer being a great hitter. .270/30/100 is about his cieling.

Is he better than Mench/Jenkins. Heck yes. His defense is the difference.

No way I want to see Jenkins here next year. He isn't a leader, and is clueless against LHP.

My other question is, if Cordero leaves, what is left of this bullpen? I don't see Turnbow as an important part. Wise is fried. Linebrink might be gone. Would Manny Parra be a good, young, closer? I think Coco or Linebrink is re-signed.

I've just got a feeling that Jenkins is going to be back. The only other team I could see making him a legitimate offer would be the Giants, and you got to think they want to get younger at some point. Otherwise, he's going to pretty much be getting the Reggie Sanders type 1 year-$3 or $4 million offers from bad teams. If the team were to decline the option on Jenkins do they retain negotiating rights with him, or is he one of those 'after May 1st' guys at that point?

Don't want any piece of Prior, but I saw Haren mentioned...wouldn't want to give up the farm for him, but what is the status on Rich Harden?I'd be all over that if the shoulder was sound. He has nasty stuff and could be a nice 2 starter or even a closer if Cordero leaves.

"I've just got a feeling that Jenkins is going to be back. The only other team I could see making him a legitimate offer would be the Giants, and you got to think they want to get younger at some point."

Well, going from Bonds to Jenkins would be getting quite a bit younger, ironically.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I've just got a feeling that Jenkins is going to be back. The only other team I could see making him a legitimate offer would be the Giants, and you got to think they want to get younger at some point. Otherwise, he's going to pretty much be getting the Reggie Sanders type 1 year-$3 or $4 million offers from bad teams. If the team were to decline the option on Jenkins do they retain negotiating rights with him, or is he one of those 'after May 1st' guys at that point?

Don't want any piece of Prior, but I saw Haren mentioned...wouldn't want to give up the farm for him, but what is the status on Rich Harden?I'd be all over that if the shoulder was sound. He has nasty stuff and could be a nice 2 starter or even a closer if Cordero leaves.

No longer any May 1st guys after the last CBA. However, depending on the option the Brewers might need to release Jenkins.

Here you go. More MLB rumors from Fox Sports, I will start with the Brewers again.

Pat Burrell has one year remaining on a deal with the Phillies however holds a no-trade clause. Burrell may be willing to wave his clause if he is traded to a contender and willing to negotiate a long term deal. Phillies have holes in the bullpen, 3B, and OF. They then say the Phillies would take a Crede from Chicago or a Bill Hall from Milwaukee in return.

The Rangers are going to the winter meetings with the intentions of trading some guy name Benoit and Lard. Said if they could package them together for starting pitching that they would be moved. Said that the Chicago Cubs, San Diego Padres, New York Mets, and Milwaukee Brewers could show some interest.

Sorta Brewers news:

With all the unlikelyhood of Brewers accepting the option on Geoff Jenkins it is now looking like Jenkins would like to move else where. It is now looking like Jenkins would like to join old friend Richie Sexson in Seattle as it appears that Ibanez will be traded to Detroit for Nate Robertson.

MLB rumors:

While the Twins are continuely denying that they are willing to trade Johan Santana rumors continue to circulate. Several rumors, Robinson Cano and premium pitching prospect Dan McCutchen to for Santana or a Clement and Jones from Seattle to Minnesota has been talked about.

Expect a fire sale again from Florida this offseason if a new stadium plan isn't approved before the winter meetings. This includes Caberra, Willis, and Olsen.

Add the Texas Rangers to the list of teams interested in the top 3 CF prospects. Hunter, Jones, Rowand will all be pursued hard as CF and SP are the two major holes that need to be filled for the Rangers.

The plan as of now is to keep Joba Chamberlin and move him into the rotation right away in 2008. With the Steinbrenner boys taking over look for the Yankees to ratchet up the trades to fill holes. The Yankees are the most unpredictable team this offseason because they could be the team that does nothing in the trade market or could be the team that makes plenty of deals.

That is all...not as long this time.

"as it appears that Ibanez will be traded...for Nate Robertson".

Robertson and Capuano are very close career-wise, 42-48, 4.39 in NL, vs 42-55, 4.60 in AL, close in age and salary and at the same arby level.

Problem the Brewers would have in making a Capuano for Ibanez deal is even if the Mariners like Capuano, it's a tough sell for the fans who undoubtedly would be made aware of the negative streak he is on.

Still this rumor shows about what it would take to get Ibanez, and it's a little more than Zach Jackson as someone suggested.

As for Laird and Benoit, I'd be asking for Catalanatto too for say Capuano, Turnbow, and Mench.

Please let Benoit make his way to Milwaukee. He's a guy others turned me on to, and I'd love for him to come in & help out of the 'pen. As for Laird, I don't know enough about him myself to weigh in - though his career numbers (and esp. 2007) are not very pretty.

Thanks again for the homework, Madtown.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Robert identified Benoit as a possible target to replace Coco within the last month or so on the MLB forum, and if he is indeed going to be dangled, he makes perfect sense for the Brewers.

I like Laird as well. He's not going to wow anyone with his offensive numbers, but he's a big-bodied catcher that guns down the opposing running game a la John Buck or Jason LaRue, and has that kind of power potential as well.

Archived