Brewer Fanatic

Over 12,000 tickets left to game 1 & 2 of NLCS?

I don't have a link to back this up, but I saw a bit in the espn.com video player about there being over 12k tickets left for the first two games in Arizonia. I went to the Dbacks site and was able to still find 4 tickets together in reasonably good locations. Of the four championship teams, they're the only ones you can go online and still buy tickets to the games. I know they had attendance issues during the season, but this is just incredible.

I think there are a lot of people in the Phoenix area who are from somewhere else in the country and didn't grow up as Diamondbacks fans. It's just one of those kind of cities.

It's actually only about 95 this month!

It was the same thing in 2002, 2001, 1999 in Phoenix. They are just a fickle crowd of (no offense, here) older folks who are probably holding out for WS tickets. It's not right, but I did the whole D-Back thing in the playoffs 6-years ago and plan on enjoying it on tv this year. Oh, and I live 3 1/2 hours away, so it's not logical for me to drive back and forth for the games.

But, yeah, it's very disappointing to see and hear about.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator

It's a strange situation. The crowds at Chase Field were definitely the most tame out of all the divisional series stadiums. They just don't seem to be into it the same as back in 2001, despite having an extremely talented team.

On the other hand, virtually everyone in the state of Colorado is now on the Rockies bandwagon. I imagine there will be a large number of Rockies fans in Arizona. Coors Field South perhaps? Who would have ever thought that would be possible?

I think the big difference between the two has more to do with a previous World Series championship than number of fans. Maybe since Arizona already won the World Series recently, the casual fans aren't as interested this time? Maybe there just aren't many casual baseball fans in Arizona?

It's a strange situation. The crowds at Chase Field were definitely the most tame out of all the divisional series stadiums. They just don't seem to be into it the same as back in 2001, despite having an extremely talented team.

On the other hand, virtually everyone in the state of Colorado is now on the Rockies bandwagon. I imagine there will be a large number of Rockies fans in Arizona. Coors Field South perhaps? Who would have ever thought that would be possible?

I think the big difference between the two has more to do with a previous World Series championship than number of fans. Maybe since Arizona already won the World Series recently, the casual fans aren't as interested this time? Maybe there just aren't many casual baseball fans in Arizona?

I wonder how much "star power" has to do with this....that 2001 team had plenty of well-known players that even casual fans were familiar with (Schilling, Johnson, etc.)

As has been stated, the Phoenix area by and large is full of retirees and transplants from elsewhere who couldn't care less about the Diamondbacks. They'd rather be golfing. Much of the rest of the population views soccer as their number one sport. It's the same reason baseball doesn't do well in Florida.

Much of the rest of the population views soccer as their number one sport.

This may be true for a small part of the Phoenix demographic, but overall, people could care less about soccer. The Phoenix area catches on with what is trendy. When the Suns are hot, everyone is a Suns fan. At the start of the NFL season, everyone is a Cardinals fan. When the Coyotes signed Gretzky, everyone was a Yotes fan (for about half the season), even though much of the crowd had no idea how hockey was played.

The Dbacks do not have the 'it' factor, and the organization doesn't do enough to promote how good, or deceivingly good, they actually are.

On ESPN's First Take this morning, they had a representative from a bar in Phoenix talking briefly about the series. When the ESPN dude mentioned the fact that around 8,000 tickets were still available for the game, she tried to blame it on not enough Rockies fans being willing to drive down from Colorado and pick up their share of the ticket burden. Blaming a visiting team's fans for your team not selling out doesn't make much sense to me.

A couple of my friends lived went to ASU and were able to buy tickets for the clinching game in the WS versus the Yankees. I was astounded they could buy WS tickets that easy at face. Both guys are from WI they just thought hey I have a chance to go to the WS. As a baseball fan I would go the WS given the easy chance like that in heartbeat even if my team wasn't playing. I'll never forget going to the All Star game in Milwaukee it was a great experience and I don't even remember which Brewer was picked for the game.

razzzor my friend goes to MIAD and they have a strict 3 or 4 missed days per semester policy or yuou are dropped from the school. He said if the brewers make the post season this year He would drop out to go to every game. I was going to do the same I told my teacher for my night class I may miss a night or two in October too bad that didn't happen http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

amazing considering that over 100,000 people here entered the post season lottery. From what i saw of round 1 playing the cubs helped them dramatically in games 1 and 2 attendance wise. If I moved out of Milwaukee to another major league city and I had an opportunity to go to a cs game id be over that.

EDIT: I looked at the Rockies site and there are still single seats available for game 3 so they are not out of the water either.

I read once that the playoff teams experince the attendance bounce the following year. It's not an excuse to not watch a playoff game but obviously they just aren't following the team yet.

I'm not so sure this team is gong to have the same success next year as they are this year so by the time the fans catch up the team will suck agian.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I suppose the number of 'transplants' (vs. 'natives', neither of which is probably the best term) in Phoenix makes it more understandable that they'd have trouble selling out playoff games - at least compared to the jadedness of Atlanta after the Braves' umpteenth consecutive postseason.

Doesn't mean it doesn't rankle me, though. You want attendance? Come to Milwaukee!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived