Brewer Fanatic

Leyva won't be back

patrickgpe

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, what are the criteria used in such a decision? Was Leyva also the OF coach? Or was that Sedar. Honestly, isn't the fact that we didn't really notice Nick this season a sign that he did a solid job? I don't understand, aside from the 'we're rewarding Kremblas' notion.

Conspiracy theory alert - Kremblas to become a part of the ML staff as a part of the 'short leash' policy?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I heard about Leyva on the radio today, and it seemed almost comical. I don't recall too many bad decisions by the third base coach this past season. In fact, I don't remember any.

I don't know what his other responsibilities were or whether there may have been personality differences, but it just seems comical to let Leyva go but somehow Yost gets to stay despite all his severe mismanagement.

It just seems silly to me.

Actually those who don't like Yost should see this as a positive. Especially if they hire Kremblas. Then he will be with the big club all year and ready to step in if Yost gets fired mid season. People who support Yost should look at a promotion to MLB for Kremblas as a negative because all the Yost detractors will be saying that Kremblas is right there to take over at any time.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think TooLive may have hit on it. It could be that the Brewers were satisfied with how he coached third base, but weren't satisfied with how he performed whatever his other duties were.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Was Leyva the catching instructor? This reminds of when Rich Dauer was let go. We had been hearing how he was a manager-in-waiting, how innovative he was, then he was fired. Why I am thinking conspiritorily I wonder if Ned takes a page from Joseph Stalin and purges anybody who is a threat to power. Having managed before, Leyva may have brought new ideas and Ned may have seen that as a challenge to authority.

That was just one scenario.

This one stinks. Not as in, 'Dude! I love Leyva, what a bummer!', but as in, this one stinks of something. Not quite sure what, but I'm wondering if it indeed has something to do with Nick questioning decisions made along the way this year. Unless there are other areas of his job responsibilities in which he stunk (which is entirely plausible), I don't see how he hurt the team. If it's just a reason to promote Kremblas, it'd seem the old "moving in a new direction" line would be far more applicable from Yost than, "not on the same wavelength."

I do recall that he was in charge of guiding the bunting, although I can't recall if he was just working with the pitchers (I recall him specifically mentioning he was in charge of the pitchers' bunting work), or if it was everyone. If the reason for his dismissal is as trivial as that, I think someone needs to remind Yost that bunting with guys who hit 25+ HR is a really poor idea. I still lean toward my conspiracy theory of having the replacement in-house, but who really knows.

EDIT: (from the article) "Nick did a nice job for us in a couple of areas, but we're not going to comment on it too much," Melvin said.

Yea, why disclose rationale on a questionable decision? http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/eyes.gif

"I felt like I did my job." We did too, Nick. Best of luck to Leyva, who will "seek a position in another organization."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Aside from his in-game duties at third base, Leyva worked extensively with players on bunting and, with Sveum, compiled reports with the team's computerized scouting system used to position infielders.
Nick's Wikipedia page says he was an infielder as a player. Maybe he was the fall guy for some of the infield defensive issues?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Aside from his in-game duties at third base, Leyva worked extensively with players on bunting and, with Sveum, compiled reports with the team's computerized scouting system used to position infielders.
.Maybe he was the fall guy for some of the infield defensive issues?

I doubt it. Everybody knew the infield defense wasn't going to be good so that's a horrible excuse if it is what they used to determine if he was going to get fired.

"Nick did a nice job for us in a couple of areas, but we're not going

to comment on it too much," Melvin said.

Yea, why disclose rationale on a questionable decision?

If there is something in particular Nick didn't do well, you don't talk about it publicly. He's looking for another job. It does sound more like there's not a real reason so there's nothing to comment on though.

"Nick did a nice job for us in a couple of areas, but we're not going to comment on it too much," Melvin said.

Yea, why disclose rationale on a questionable decision?

Fans who act like they have a right to know this kind of information drive me nuts. Why in the world does Doug Melvin need to tell the fans why they let a coach go? It's none of our business. They are going different ways for whatever reason. They don't need to explain themselves to us. It is the same with injuries. What happens with the team stays with the team. To expect to find out these types of things as a fan is unreasonable.

I guess I will just agree to disagree......

If you are working at a corporation and johnny from office #2 gets let go for "undisclosed reasons" but every one knows it's because he came late, smoked weed, and tried to hook up with the boss's wife......do you think that the general public needs to know it? Or do you think it's OK to just leave it as.."he was let go".

Why should the Brewers be any different? You are just a fan of the team. There is a lot that goes on that you never hear about. Why a coach was let go SHOULD BE one of them if the company (or in this case franchise) is run with any integrity and credibility.

We're not just the general public, though we're customers.

If I was a customer of a business and a key employee was let go, that I felt the employee was important to the services I received from the business I would want to know why. And it's not out of line to ask why. It certainly is the perogative of the brewers to explain as little as they want, but to just say it's none of your business, now hand over your money, is not good policy IMO.

Add another one to the list of guys that "aren't on the same wavelength" as Ned. First it was Dauer. Then Yount (unless you believe the story that he just wanted to spend more time with his family) and now Leyva. Is there anybody I'm missing? Is it possible that those guys were on the right wavelength? That seems like kind of a lot of guys not seeing eye-to-eye with the manager. And it sure seems to me that those guys were all brighter than Dale Sveum.

You are talking about a public figure and entity. You don't want to get a reputation as being an organization that bad mouths people when they leave. You also don't want to be accused of slandering a former employee.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived