Brewer Fanatic

Winter Meetings

JJHardy7

I noticed the winter meetings are in Nashville this year. I recently moved closed to Nashville and I had a few questions.

Are the winter meetings always in Nashville?

Are there players or events worthwhile for fans? Or is it strictly business? I'm guessing it's mostly strictly business.

And the public is most defiantly NOT allowed.

I distinctly remember reading a blog post that was linked on Deadspin last year where the guy writing (a regular fan with no press credentials) attended. It didn't even sound like he needed to "sneak in".

LINK

Not saying it's encouraged, but crashing exists.

If anyone goes to the PBEO Job Fair, I would really like to hear how it went and what it's like...

I went last year. PM me if you have any specific questions. It's mostly business. It's still interesting though to just see Doug Melvin, Peter Gammons, and the like wandering around. The GM's have areas set aside where they can get down to business in private if they like, but they also spend a lot of the time conversing and hanging out in public areas (like the hotel lobby).

Well, I have not yet found a job (recently graduated), but I've always half-jokingly considered going to the Winter Meetings. I'm starting to consider it...

That's what I want to know. Do they hire college grads for internships or to do entry level stuff, what types of positions are they mainly looking for, ect.

I probably won't graduate for another ~2 years, but my plan is probably to go to as many minor league teams as I can and apply for internships there...

Snippet from the page Patrick linked to:

Many of these jobs are entry-level positions and internships. However, some positions are for those with prior baseball experience or a related background looking for the next challenge. Most Minor League BaseballTM[/sup]and Major League Baseball teams will be hiring for positions beginning in January, 2008. Therefore, it is preferable for attendees to have graduated by December, 2007.

Snippet from the page Patrick linked to:

Many of these jobs are entry-level positions and internships. However, some positions are for those with prior baseball experience or a related background looking for the next challenge. Most Minor League BaseballTM[/sup]and Major League Baseball teams will be hiring for positions beginning in January, 2008. Therefore, it is preferable for attendees to have graduated by December, 2007.

Sweet, thanks. So looks like I'll be attending the 2009 Winter Meetings...

Brewer Fan should have a winter meeting.

As a matter of fact, we've had a "winter meeting" the last three off-seasons - though it's been in January or February.
In 2005 we met at the Water Street Brewery in Milwaukee, in '06 at Weirdo's in Janesville, and in '07 at Pooley's in Madison.
All have been great fun.

I'm sure that brewerjamie15 (our PR mogul) has already begun thinking about this off-season's winter meeting.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I decided I'm going to give it a shot. I registered this afternoon and I will be going. I don't really know what to expect, and I'm finding that I already feel a little nervous, but oh well. If anything it should be a good experience.

Unfortunately I spent most of my remaining money registering for the event and on the hotel, so I only have enough for a mid-level offer to David Eckstein. Let's just say he'll really have to like Milwaukee. Cross your fingers everyone!

Archived