Brewer Fanatic

What do we do with Escobar?

But Weeks is on the verge of becoming a consistent .850-.900+ OPS guy with an OBP 40-50+ points higher than Hardy's.
I guess that is my point. If Weeks doesn't live up to his potential this year - We might have to accept that this is all he will ever be. Maybe Weeks really is just a .800 OPS and poor defender.

But I agree, if they are that even...you certainly have to look and see who costs less.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I admit that i could be wrong about JJ. But personally I don't like his defense. It's my impression that he doesn't get to many balls. I've always been a pitching/defense guy, and when we've got a lockdown shortstop on the horizon I get excited by that. If Escobar never develops a bat, then I will admit that JJ is probably the better player, but that's a risk I'd be prepared to take given that the Crew is incapable of signing all their young stars. I like JJ the least of the young stars. But I'm by no means saying he isn't a good player. I definitely like Weeks better because it's easier to carry a bad defensive second baseman (especially when he's one of the best leadoff hitters living on this planet) than an average defensive shortstop. Also, I don't see a Brewer replacement for Rickie, not one so obvious as Escobar. Peace.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hardy has a strong and accurate arm, and he gobbles up anything near him but he has pretty poor range.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

But Weeks is on the verge of becoming a consistent .850-.900+ OPS guy with an OBP 40-50+ points higher than Hardy's.
I guess that is my point. If Weeks doesn't live up to his potential this year - We might have to accept that this is all he will ever be. Maybe Weeks really is just a .800 OPS and poor defender.

.800 OPS isn't bad for a 2b at all.

I admit that i could be wrong about JJ. But personally I don't like his defense. It's my impression that he doesn't get to many balls. I've always been a pitching/defense guy, and when we've got a lockdown shortstop on the horizon I get excited by that. If Escobar never develops a bat, then I will admit that JJ is probably the better player, but that's a risk I'd be prepared to take given that the Crew is incapable of signing all their young stars. I like JJ the least of the young stars. But I'm by no means saying he isn't a good player. I definitely like Weeks better because it's easier to carry a bad defensive second baseman (especially when he's one of the best leadoff hitters living on this planet) than an average defensive shortstop. Also, I don't see a Brewer replacement for Rickie, not one so obvious as Escobar. Peace.
JJ is the last guy on this team who we should be worring about for defense. Well maybe not the last, but close to it. The only infield defender we have that can compare to JJ on defense is Counsell.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Also, I don't see a Brewer replacement for Rickie, not one so obvious as Escobar. Peace.

Well, Escobar could be that replacement. For someone who's so big on defense, I'd think you'd be all about a Hardy/Escobar SS/2nd combo with Hardy moving over.

That said, I do agree, I like Weeks more as well, it's just when you said that you don't see Hardy in a Brewers uniform much longer when he's got 3 years left....I took that to mean you thought they'd get rid of him.

Except Hardy really doesn't haev three years left. He likely has two unless his bat excels. And Hardy would be foolish to allow the Brewers to move him of of SS where he'd be a top free agent to anotehr psoiton where he'd be a solid starter. If the Marlins come to their senses and move Ramirez, Hardy has a great shot at more All Star appearances.

Except Hardy really doesn't haev three years left. He likely has two unless his bat excels. And Hardy would be foolish to allow the Brewers to move him of of SS where he'd be a top free agent to anotehr psoiton where he'd be a solid starter. If the Marlins come to their senses and move Ramirez, Hardy has a great shot at more All Star appearances.

Sure he does. The Brewers control Hardy for 3 more years. That was the point.

Second, I don't know how great of a shot he has unless you believe that he can have more first halfs like he had this year. I see Tulo, Reyes, Rollins and very possibly the Escobar from the Braves as being better SS's, and far more likely to get AS bids.

Look,I respect Hardy, but just not as a shortstop. I love the suggestion of JJ moved to 2nd base. We would definiely be better defensively, but Rickie's offense really makes up for the discrepancy. I think Escobar looks like the real deal and given Escobar's athleticism I wouldn't be surprised if he develpoed enough power to more than make up the difference.

Look,I respect Hardy, but just not as a shortstop. I love the suggestion of JJ moved to 2nd base. We would definiely be better defensively, but Rickie's offense really makes up for the discrepancy. I think Escobar looks like the real deal and given Escobar's athleticism I wouldn't be surprised if he develpoed enough power to more than make up the difference.

I don't think anyone argues that Escobar is a great SS. I think the confusion lies with the problem with Hardy as a problem defensively.

Yes the Brewers control him for three years, but if they decide that he isn't worth keeping around, they'll likely trade him before he leaves via free agency. Now if Escobar stalls a bit that might not happen, but you can't count on Hardy being in Milwaukee for three years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't think Hardy has a problem with his arm or handling ground balls, but he has pretty poor range.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There's a decent chance that Hardy and Escobar will never have to start on the same team together but if they do, I could see Weeks in CF, Hardy at 2B and Escobar at SS. As it, Weeks is a very poor defensive 2B anyway.

Yes the Brewers control him for three years, but if they decide that he isn't worth keeping around, they'll likely trade him before he leaves via free agency. Now if Escobar stalls a bit that might not happen, but you can't count on Hardy being in Milwaukee for three years.

Yea, they could trade him, but you can't really say that he only has two years left on the off-chance that they trade him.

I find it hard to believe that they're going to deal their starting SS in two years and go with an unproven prospect when they'll likely have a team that could win. I see the Brewers going much the same way the A's did by allowing their FA's to leave and restocking their farm system with those supplemental picks.

I think that LaPorta and Fielder are gone. Gamel is the only guy that makes sense long term for the Crew at 1B.

The return on those two should be enormous though.

The guy hasn't even played above high A yet, and you're talking about him being gone?

Maybe if the Brewers need a SP'er at the deadline, and they can get one that has a couple years, then I could possibly see them thinking about dealing him. Most likely, I think LaPorta will be a Brewer for a very long time.

Archived