Brewer Fanatic

What do we do with Escobar?

There are simply some players in the minors where you have to actually see them play to understand why they are so highly regarded and Escobar is one of those guys. This is why you'll see such a large disparity between where he ranks on a site like Baseball America and on some online rankings that are going by his stats and what they read somewhere. I wouldn't base an opinion soley on a scouts firsthand accout or just a player's stats, but instead take them both into account. His numbers are just as similar to Edgar Reteria as to Ramon Santiago. I'm not sure why you would automatically assume the glass is half empty. Sure, he could turn out like Santiago, but that's probably the low end of the spectrum for him. The reason he gets rated so high is because he has the potential to be much more than that, and you probably have to watch him play a bit to see it.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To say that Escobar can get the ball into gaps, whereas Gwynn can't, is a bit of a stretch.

Gwynn is faster than Escobar, which explains the triples. Escobar just simply has a better swing than Gwynn, which isn't really that difficult to do.

Just to add if Gwynn was a shortstop I'd think he was a decent prospect too.

"This is why you'll see such a large disparity between where he ranks on a site like Baseball America and on some online rankings that are going by his stats and what they read somewhere."

I've seen him play a bunch of times...he doesn't draw walks...no amount of excitement will get him on base

• 1 month later...
Let's face it: Alcides is probably the next Ramon Santiago. He's not going to get on base with any regularity or hit for ANY power. His only asset is going to be his glove.

I totally agree with this.....I don't know what all the media-hype is about with Alcides. Personally I hope we move him this offseason while he's still on some hotlists. Sell while the stock is high...

I totally agree with this.....I don't know what all the media-hype is about with Alcides. Personally I hope we move him this offseason while he's still on some hotlists. Sell while the stock is high...

Media hype? Sell while the stock is high?

Escobar is what he is, a slick fielding SS, potential gold glover, that has a limited ceiling with his bat. Even if he never hits enough to become a starter, he could become a very valuable utility player, possibly replacing Counsell when his contract is up in a couple of years.

I could see Escobar being a part of a prospect package in some kind of trade, but dealing a prospect because his ceiling seems to be high just sounds extremely bizarre.

Is he able to play second base or third base at all? If so, he would make a very valuable utility player. If we could insert him late in a game as a defensive replacement for Weeks or Braun that would be good. And we wouldn't have to pay him like Counsell (even though the contract we gave Counsell last year was a joke)

With Escobar, I still view him as a long-term backup solution. He should be able to capably fill in at SS, 2b, and 3b. Although theoretically, he could start at SS, Hardy at 3b, Braun to the OF. That way his defense would be emphasized

• 3 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ken Rosenthal at Fox Sports

Another prospect in Milwaukee

The Brewers, who will face difficult choices when deciding which of their young players to keep long term, will not lack for options if they keep churning out prospects such as shortstop Alcides Escobar.

One scout is so taken with Escobar, he says the Brewers should trade second baseman Rickie Weeks and move shortstop J.J. Hardy to second - a notion the team eventually might consider, but not yet.

Escobar, a native of Venezuela, has yet to play above Class AA. He is a terrific defender, and the Brewers' statistical analysis suggests that his offensive performance is similar to what Edgar Renteria's was at the same age.

"Escobar, a native of Venezuela, has yet to play above Class AA. He is a terrific defender, and the Brewers' statistical analysis suggests that his offensive performance is similar to what Edgar Renteria's was at the same age."

Now that's interesting. Very much puts Escobar's potential into perspective. Thanks for the update, MH!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I could swear I just read someone mention (Haudricourt?) that Escobar has put on 20 or 25 pounds in the last 18 months and is clearly taller and heavier than reported? This was just within the last week....

Let's face it...there is no way the Brewers keep all these young guys....they won't be able to afford them (cruelties of baseball economics). They'll have to make some tough decisions. If Escobar continues to develop, maybe allowing JJ to walk or trading him before free agency and saving their powder for another player is something they'll consider.

From seeing him in Arizona I would guess him to be 6'2 and 170 pounds - probably about 20 pounds heavier than when I saw him three years ago. It would not shock me if Ted Simmons agreed with that scout quoted above - he was clearly enamored with Esky.

I would hope the Brewers keep the glove, they've certainly seen the impact of bad defense. If Escobar is that good, he's the shortstop, they can deal one of the other infielders.

I'd love to see Weeks cement his position as the team's leadoff hitter this year, then the Brewers would be free to deal either Hardy or Hall, perhaps in a move for a young catcher, or to help replace Sheets or Gagne, who both seem destined to walk.

I still find it funny we're worried about what to do with this 21 year-old who still has all his options and is quickly turning into a top prospect.

Let him play and get better, that's what we do with him. Until he's better than JJ, it's all moot.

I must admit...I have been very leery of Escobar thus far. Having the glove is great - but I definitely (and still do) doubted his ability to hit MLB pitching.

After seeing him in Spring Training this year, however, he was pretty impressive. It's taking awhile, but I am starting to come around.

dadofandrew[/b]]I still find it funny we're worried about what to do with this 21 year-old who still has all his options and is quickly turning into a top prospect.
Up until very recently we haven't exactly had good MLB players. I think these threads are going to become more and more prevalent in the coming years as players like Escobar, and more specifically LaPorta next year, get stuck in AAA because they are blocked. I take it as a good sign that we have MLB caliber players in the minors that we don't have room for on the MLB team.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I still find it funny we're worried about what to do with this 21 year-old who still has all his options and is quickly turning into a top prospect.

Let him play and get better, that's what we do with him. Until he's better than JJ, it's all moot.

Let me see if I understand: We aren't supposed to speculate about the best future use of an interesting prospect because the only thing that matters is whether/when he becomes better than the incumbent at the position that both currently happen to be playing? Does that mean that, if Escobar never gets better than Hardy, we just leave Escobar in AAA indefinitely? When, per your mores, may we start a discussion about the possibility that one of these guys could better serve the team as trade bait, or at another position? The Brewers as a team have arrived at a point where figuring out how to get value out of a prospect is a more complicated discussion than it used to be; plus, Escobar's offensive unpredictability makes him a complicated prospect.

Greg.

I think he's a good bet to be on the roster next season, though displacing counsell rather than a starter, at that time (barring injuries). I don't have any doubts that his average will be OK for a middle infielder. Walking and Slugging is another matter, though it could well come in time. I don't see him ever being a starting 3B.

Greg, he won't be out of options until 2011 or '12, when he's 24 or 25. I'm not worried about him wasting away. Heck, we don't even know what we have with him yet, and I have no interest in dealing him until we know, or think we do.

The thing is, by the time you know what you have, he might net you less in a trade. You know what you have on the major league level right now. If you can plug other organizational holes in a way that overwhelms you, I don't think you sit on fool's gold to pass it by.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see Escobar as a Brewer in the future. I just think that the decision doesn't necessarily have to wait because he has options remaining. That's just procrastination, while being proactive in this case might be better for the club in the long run.

Adam Everett is probably an appropriate name to put out there as a Major League comparison for Escobar. John McDonald is always who I have thought of. Escobar might have a higher BA than those guys but I don't know how much better, and if he dosen't start walking more he would undoubtedly be a liability with the bat.

I will admit I do, kind of like the idea of Hardy at 3rd and Escobar at SS. That would be assuming the Brewers don't have another offensive liability in the everyday lineup. If Escobar, Gwynn Jr. and Kendall are "everyday" players then the Brewers are in trouble.

Archived