Brewer Fanatic

colbyjack, a question about a former brewer farmhand...

I have a question, I was looking at some midwest league records today and came across Chris Morris, he STOLE 111 bases for Peoria in 2001. He then got traded by St. Louis to Milwaukee for Jamey Wright, and he stopped after 2005, but his .OBP was always high. Anyway, it doesn't look like he was ever that bad, and it appears that he was really, really fast. Did he get hurt, or what happened to him?

Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure what happened to Morris, but he definitely seemed to top out at high A. He went on to play one more year after the last year in the Brewers system, which was 2004, with the Angels at AA Arkansas and posted pretty much the same numbers in 2005 he did every other year during his pro career. Yes, he had a good OBP, but he had almost no power (including a couple of years in High Desert) and didn't hit for a particularly high average. Being a shorter player even with his speed it seems as though teams didn't think very much of his bat to keep giving him opportunities.

Mass or someone else who follows the Brewers alumni may be able to provide you with a better answer than I can (or check the alumni thread).

Archived