Brewer Fanatic

2008 Nashville Sounds

JJHardy7

To keep my mind off of the stadium issues going on down here, what players are likely to start out at AAA? I must say I really enjoy the 10 - 15 games I went to and I can't argue about $10 front row ticket. My only regret is that I moved here about a month after Braun and a few weeks after Yo were here. I know the Brewers have the majority of their prospects at lower levels, but who should I hope is on the opening day roster that has a shot?

Most of the Huntsville Stars squad should be bumped up to Nashville for next season, along with a handful of holdovers and a few minor league free agents sprinkled in.

Lou Palmisano, Hernan Iribarren, Brendan Katin, Adam Heether and Steve Sollmann IMO have nothing left to prove at AA, and should receive the bulk of the playing time at catcher, 2B, RF, 3B and 1B/UT respectively. Steve Moss may move up by default, having spent a couple of years at AA (along with the need to clear a spot in the AA OF for someone else).

Sam Narron, Steve Hammond, Mike DeFelice, Robert Hinton, Dave Johnson, Luis Pena, Lindsay Gulin and Derek Miller should all see Nashville at some point this season.

You're not going to see anyone like Braun or Yo next year, unless it's on a rehab assignment. Katin hit 24 homers in the Southern League last year, and has a shot to make the big leagues even if it is more likely as a 4th OF. Palmisano should make the big leagues at some point in the next two years, although its hard to know what to expect from his bat. I think you'll enjoy watching Heether quite a bit, who was born to play the game. He's rock solid defensively and makes good contact. Iribarren could also make the big leagues, but it remains to see in what capacity. These guys aren't can't miss future starters, and you're probably at least a half season, if not a full season away from seeing positional prospects that profile as everyday regulars (Gamel, Gillespie, LaPorta, Cain, etc.).

Given the Brewers bullpen woes, keep an eye on Luis Pena, Robert Hinton and Dave Johnson, who all could sneak up to the big-leagues if they enjoy early success in Nashville.

Thanks colby! I'm hoping for Lou, Hernan, and Heether.

Is there any chance that LaPorta gets called up to Nashville later in the season? I won't complain if he starts out in Huntsville or gets called up there...I'm only about an hour from Huntsville and if LaPorta is there I will be going to those games a lot more.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that LaPorta will follow the progression that Braun did, beginning next year at Brevard County and getting called up to Huntsville at mid-season. What he does in the Arizona Fall League could effect that, as he could start at Huntsville and end at Nashville, but we'll have to wait and see.

Archived