Brewer Fanatic

How old is Alfonso Soriano?

adambr2

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2842

Although as many of us remember, Soriano "aged" 2 years from 26 to 28 earlier in his career when he was traded to the Rangers. I'm quite curious, what is there to be certain that Soriano isn't still lying? Who's to say he's not 33? 35? Now, that'd be a blockbuster for sure.

It seems to be a case for staying away from certain foreign free agents just as a precaution, do we have any way of proving that these players are how old they say they are?

In any event, considering Soriano has likely peaked at this point in his career, it seems to be a deal that the Cubs may sorely regret, since they'll be paying Soriano till he's, well, at least 38.

Livan Hernandez - age 32?

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif

I think you're onto something here adambr2. If Soriano admitted to being two years older, does that mean he's really 3, or 4, etc. years older? Kudos to the Caribbean players (and their agents) who take advantage of this kind of loophole, though. Well played. Kgb, I think the point is that after the age-34 season, most players begin declining (esp. in power).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Age is only a number as long as they're producing.

Don't get me wrong -- I don't think that a player can't earn MVP if he's 40, or that some of the great superstars can't continue to be successful in their later years. But the facts are pretty clear. Players peak normally sometime around 27-30, and often begin a progressive decline in their early 30's that continues with each passing year. There are exceptions, but they are very rare.

Imagine if Soriano WAS 35 right now. Do you really think that he'll be a 40/40 type player, still earning big bucks from the Cubs? No way. At age 40, Soriano will be lucky to still be a starter. Maybe earlier.

TooLive, I agree the loophole is definitely there for the taking. It's just something I think we should be aware of in our signings. Soriano isn't the first one to lie, he won't be the last one. Who knows how many how many were never caught? Good example on Livian Hernandez!

The age thing seems to have been taken care of since the new visa rules stemming from 9/11 have been implemented. The documentation required just makes it very hard to hide ages. Now if you have a complicit government, you can still have a Yi occurrence, but it basically takes altering government documents. For baseball outside of Cuban players, thats not really an issue since Japanese players are tracked early on and Latin American players are often signed in their early teens to camps.

Even if he is 35 (which I doubt), he still has some good years ahead of him, right during the prime period we'll have our young guns all together. I'm not sure the Cubs are worried about getting their money's worth at the tail end of his contract, why should we be?

One time Frank Sinatra came in her and sat down in this chair. And I said Frank, you hang out with Alfonso Soriano, between me an you, how old is Alfonso Aoriano? And you know what Frank told me? He said hey ... Alfonso Soriano a hundred and thirty seven years old.

A hundred and thirty seven years old!

One time Frank Sinatra came in her and sat down in this chair. And I said Frank, you hang out with Alfonso Soriano, between me an you, how old is Alfonso Aoriano? And you know what Frank told me? He said hey ... Alfonso Soriano a hundred and thirty seven years old.

A hundred and thirty seven years old!

Oh there they go. There they go, every time I start talkin 'bout baseball, a Cub fan got to pull Alfonso Soriano out their (butt). That's their one, that's their one. Alfonso Soriano. Alfonso Soriano. Let me tell you something once and for all. Alfonso Soriano was good, but compared to Prince Fielder, Alfonso Soriano ain't (crap).

Coming to America is a great movie. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/laugh.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived