Brewer Fanatic

Troy Percival - Brewers in the mix?

Percival has not pitched 57 innings in a year since 1998. With his recent injury problems, I regard Kerry Wood as actually less of a risk, which should tell you something. 6 million for Percival would make me ill - just too much risk associated with that type of contract. Chad Cordero is a workhorse, meanwhile, as he has thrown 73 innings or more in each of his last 3 years. I do not think Percival could close effectively on back to back days.

He pitched 3 times back-to-back in '07, 3 IP, no runs allowed.

He's far from a perfect solution, but again, i like him at a "cheap" price, though I'm not sure what that is in today's market. Percival has been rumored to be shopping himself as a closer, so he apparently feels he can do it.

Percival has not pitched 57 innings in a year since 1998. With his recent injury problems, I regard Kerry Wood as actually less of a risk, which should tell you something. 6 million for Percival would make me ill - just too much risk associated with that type of contract. Chad Cordero is a workhorse, meanwhile, as he has thrown 73 innings or more in each of his last 3 years. I do not think Percival could close effectively on back to back days.

I wouldn't be thrilled with signing an old guy like Percival and would prefer Chad Cordero as i'm sure everyone would. He's not a free agent though, if they want silly amounts of talent back in return, at some point you just gotta say no. Then your left with what's realistically out there and Percival might end up being the best option.

Maybe he can't pitch quite as often as you'd like from your closer, but if he was effective when he did pitch, i'd be fine with that and having to use someone else to close a couple games where Troy couldn't go. Overall, the bullpen just needs to add a couple of guys that can get outs late in close games.

On another note, we could sign Percival and trade for C Cordero. He won't be expensive until Percival is gone.

2008: Percival 6mil

Cordero 2mil

2009: Percival 6 mil

Cordero 4 mil

2010: Percival- gone or retired

Cordero- gone or signed to an extension

I like the idea of trading some of our AA and AAA prospects, since our infield is full until Hardy hits the FA market. With all the picks we've acquired, we could easily re-stock our lower minor leagues. If we have to trade our prospects now, I think we can afford it.

Archived