Brewer Fanatic

What is a "professional hitter"?

sbrylski
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "professional hitter" tag has always bugged.

I have never really understood the tag either -- It seems to me to refer to --

1.) Players that have defensive liabilities

2.) Players without crazy power, or starter level OPS

3.) Players that do not have really extreme splits against LH/RH

I always think of Matt Stairs, when I hear "professional hitter"

Stairs had a great season with Toronto. He could always get on base and had some power. I'd take him over Mench any day.

I've been an Oriole fan since I was little kid. In recent years they always called guys like Surhoff and Conine professional hitters. So I take the term to mean old players who no longer have any power but have learned to poke singles over the infield, trot to first base, and get thrown out at 2nd on a force play. That's the Oriole version anyway....

I still think the best option is Fukudome from Japan.

http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=1064

His Japan League stats match up with Hideki Matsui's numbers there albeit with less power.

http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=163

I'm not sure if he'd hit 25 - 30 home runs, but he'd get on base and hit for average.

I totally agree, but the chances the Brewers can get a pricey import like him are pretty slim.

And according to MLBTradeRumors.com the Padres also have him on their radar. So it's not like we can bring him through the backdoor without some market competition.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"And according to MLBTradeRumors.com the Padres also have him on their radar. So it's not like we can bring him through the backdoor without some market competition. "

Well yeah I never inferred that. Of course there's going to be competition but given the rate of success of Japanese players with similar stats, I would definitely take a look at him.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Without turning this into a lineup thread, I'd like to see Corey Hart inserted into the 2-hole. Corey could be good at many spots in the lineup, but he's our best option there right now due to his unique mix of contact, discipline, power and speed. He and Weeks could cause havoc on the base paths, which is something Hardy doesn't bring to the table (amongst other things).

As to the question, I'm assuming what they mean by "professional hitter" is just rephrasing what they tried to emphasize last offseason - getting more guys in the lineup who strike out less. I'd like to think it means higher OBP (even if it comes with more Ks), but to some extent I think it'll mean higher OBP to a point limited by the ability of a guy not to strike out. Maybe they just mean a nice BB/K ratio. I skimmed the rest of the thread so these names have already been brought up, I apologize, but here's some guys I think they're thinking about when they think "professional hitter":

Kenny Lofton

Pat Burrell

Mark Loretta

Shannon Stewart

Jack Wilson (puke)

David DeJesus

Mike Lowell

My attempt at mind reading Doug when it comes to a professional hitter would be a high OBP guy that reaches that OBP via more a high batting average/solid amount of walks moreso than a guy with say a .260 batting average that walks a ton.Kinda like a Carlos Lee light type of hitter since obviously Melvin wasn't talking about a guy making truckloads of cash.A consistent .280-.300 batting average hitter who walks enough to carry a .350 plus OBP,some power included being an added plus.

What's more professional than contact? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Are you really Johnny Estrada in disguise?http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My definition of a professional hitter has always been guys like Todd Helton, Larry Walker, Lyle Overbay, and Jeff Cirillo. Guys that do the little things well. Get on base, go the other way, drive in runs...basically whatever the situation asks for.

Also known as the anti-Estrada.

The possession receiver is a good analogy.

so the key is to play half your games at coors?

matt holiday's the best hitter in baseball?

i'm just kidding...larry walker is definitely one of the first gusy that popped into mind for me as well...chipper jones does a ot of the same stuff...he's good at every aspect of hitting and he's been consistant at it for a full career

Archived