Brewer Fanatic

What is a "professional hitter"?

sbrylski

Melvin mentioned that he'd like to bring in a "professional hitter" this offseason. It seems many here assume he means a high OBP guy, but is that the case? Could DM have a different definition of a "professional hitter"?

Couldn't a "professional hitter" mean a guy that doesn't strikeout much? And those types of players tend to not go deep into counts and therefore not walk much, the opposite of what we assume a professional hitter is.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is probably referring to guys who:

- Don't strike out a lot

- Are good situational hitters (able to hit a flyball when necessary, go to the opposite field and move runners over, etc.)

- Work the count

- Ability to sustain a decent BA and OBP

I'm thinking he's talking about Mark Loretta type hitters.

Usually that's a tag that a gritty white guy that is old/bad gets.

Scour the free agent list for guys that fit the description.

Jeff Conine

Mark Sweeney

Mark Loretta

Scott Hatteberg

Jeff Cirillo

Aaron Boone

Brady Clark

Darin Erstad

Shawn Green

Trot Nixon

I'm guessing it'll be one of those guys.

ugh, color me unthrilled about that list, if that is really what we'd be going after.

Maybe Doug's thinking the trade route?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Of that list, give me Geoff Jenkins. A one year, $9 million deal should get it done. Even though $9 mil is a little high, its just one season so we won't be stuck with a bad contract a few years down the line.

Hopefully Melvin's idea of an ideal platoon-mate to match with Gross is a guy who posts a line of .314/.343/.558/.901 against LHP in a year where many proclaimed that he wasn't good. OBP? No. Proven production against LHP? Yes.

I'm all for an upgrade to a guy that can hit both lefties and righties as our LFer, but with the price it'd entail (whether in FA or via trade), I question whether or not the answer for LF is already on the 25-man roster. Logan makes a good point that with Dillon around, we likely already have that 'professional hitter' bat off the bench.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

i would NOT have jenks on that list.

lots of Ks. - So? As long as the production is still there, I don't care how he makes his outs. If anything, going deep into counts is a good thing because it can net you more BB and wear down the pitcher.

cant hit leftys. - Niether can Nixon or Hatteburg, and eveyone else on that list can't hit lefties or righties and are 48 years old.

goes for the fences. - Again, so? The production is generally there.

looks like a fool. - Good point, we need a better looking guy in there. Erstad's a good-looking guy, lets get him.

I would say a professional hitter is a guy who knows what the situation is. Like if a guy is at second, he will hit behind the runner to advance the runner up to 3rd. Or if the pitcher is really stuggling to throw strikes he'll work the count and make the pitcher throw one before he'll swing. If a guy is on 3rd he'll try to hit a fly ball to drive the runner in. Thats my idea of a professional hitter

Again, so? The production is generally there.
That's pretty debatable. His lines from the past two seasons are:

2006 = .271 / .357 / .434 / .791

2007 = .255 / .319 / .471 / .790

That's not very impressive for a corner OF, especially when you consider Jenkins was given good matchups during 2007. A low OBP with decent power and lots of K's is kind of a redundancy with the Brewers offense, and that's exactly what Jenkins gave us this last season. I know this has been covered elsewhere, but I think picking up his $9M option for that kind of production would be sheer madness. I'd much rather see Gabe Gross get the playing time, when you figure in salaries.

Again, so? The production is generally there.
That's pretty debatable. His lines from the past two seasons are:

2006 = .271 / .357 / .434 / .791

2007 = .255 / .319 / .471 / .790

That's not very impressive for a corner OF, especially when you consider Jenkins was given good matchups during 2007. A low OBP with decent power and lots of K's is kind of a redundancy with the Brewers offense, and that's exactly what Jenkins gave us this last season. I know this has been covered elsewhere, but I think picking up his $9M option for that kind of production would be sheer madness. I'd much rather see Gabe Gross get the playing time, when you figure in salaries.

And who's better and a FA? I think Jenkins still has some good season in him, and with just a one-year commitment to him its a much lower risk.

And who's better and a FA?
Why does it have to be a free agent? Trades are always an additional possibility. I certainly don't think it would be impossible (or even difficult) to find somebody whose hitting abilities could help the Brewers more than Jenkins next year, and for a lot less than $9M. If we decline the option, and Jenkins would be willing to come back for closer to $4-5M, that might be more reasonable.

I wasn't completely serious in my post, but it's just generally those types of guys who get the label of being professional hitters. Matt Stairs fits the description, and he can still take and rake, and is an FA that made under $1 M this year. But Gross can, too, albeit without the track record of Stairs.

It's pretty plain to see that when you look at the FA list, along with Melvin's comments, that they're not going to go that route (nor should they). They're going to need to trade, and the only position they would do so for is likely a corner OF, or the slim chance they acquire a CF and move Hall to 3B with Braun going to LF.

I have seen the name thrown around before, but the number one guy I'm going after is Carlos Quentin. He's going to be fairly available, I would guess, without having to pay through the nose. He'd be a corner OF (with excellent defense, by most accounts), who is a patient hitter with decent pop and upside. At this point he looks similar to a RH Gabe Gross at the time the Brewers acquired him, probably with a higher ceiling. As far as I'm concerned you can never have too many guys that can get on base.

I kind of reject the idea of depending on Joe Dillon, much like I rejected the idea of Mike Rivera (and still do). To me, something doesn't pass the smell test. His recovery from back ailments due to some miracle cure, his physique, his magical power increase after taking those years off and returning to AAA, etc. It just doesn't seem right to me. I don't have the concerns over the same things with Rivera, just to clarify, I think he's just a classic 4A guy with a terrible approach at the plate.

To me, a professional hitter is someone who you trust at the plate to have a high probabibility of doing whatever is needed in that situation. I would say someone who works the count, has a high on-base percentage, can be trusted to make contact when contact is really needed, capable of drawing a walk, someone you don't mind leading off an inning, and someone who you can trust during a hit-and-run.

It's a combination of the players' stats, their approach, and whether or not people have confidence in him when he steps up. Maybe someone that opposing pitchers also dread facing when it matters.

I think Matt Wise should bat leadoff. He put up a pretty good OBP this year. Joking aside I have no problem with Weeks in the leadoff spot. He gets on base at a good clip. If it comes down to getting a professional hitter and gettig a good bulpen arm, I hope Melvin goes for the arm.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived