Brewer Fanatic

Steinbrenner at it again: Torre likely to be fired if team doesn't reach ALCS

Trombone482

Steinbrenner: Yankees must win or Torre likely gone

Well he is at it again. Just another reason I hate steinbrenner. He also seems like he is going senile or is become just a sore loser

Here a couple of quotes

"Steinbrenner also criticized umpire Bruce Froemming for not stopping play when insects invaded the field during Game 2 in Cleveland on Friday. Rookie reliever Joba Chamberlain threw two wild pitches that allowed Cleveland to tie the game in the eighth, and the Indians went on to win 2-1 in 11 innings." It didn't seem to cause any problems for the Indians

He also stated that A-Rod would probably re-sign with the yankees and that if Torre doesn't get to the ALDS then he will be gone. He says that he is in full control. HAHA http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/roll.gif

Ways to help...

• A clear thread title. I've changed "Steinbrenner at it again" to "Steinbrenner at it again: Torre likely to be fired if team doesn't reach ALCS"
  • Putting text in the link (if you can master the process http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif). I've added the article headline.
  • And as TC says, a brief summary or a quote or two:
    Steinbrenner said:
    [Torre's] job is on the line. I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series.
    He also criticized the umpires for not stopping Friday's insect-infested game. "[Froemming] won't umpire our games anymore... It was terrible. It messed up the whole team, (Derek) Jeter, all of them," Steinbrenner said.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

the boss does this every year.

get over the article. its from NY.

im sure if you look hard enough you can find some idiot that writes that jeter is going to get traded too.

Actually, it's a AP article, not someone writing for a rag. And it wasn't "some idiot" writing the article, it was someone quoting Steinbrenner directly.

the boss does this every year.

get over the article. its from NY.

im sure if you look hard enough you can find some idiot that writes that jeter is going to get traded too.

Umm......... yea this kind of stuff happens every year, but this article is from the AP. I think we are starting to see that you don't have to spend 300 million dollars on payroll to have a good team. Look at the teams still in the playoffs (rockies, d-backs). I think the losing is finally starting to get to Steinbrenner

Well, not to get too off topic, but 1 team can beat 25 players, no matter how well they are paid. I think the Yankees are learning that the hard way.

I'm sure this is the kind of pressure Joe Torre needs right now, not that he probably wasn't aware to begin with.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Way to stay classy. I think if I were Joe Torre I'd consider termination a sweet release.

I'll bet Bruce Froemming won't umpire any NYY games, starting in 2008. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Steinbrenner will either hire Girardi out of the booth or just give the job to Don Mattingly, who managed a handful of games this year when Torre was suspended. I think King George would figure out quickly that neither are as good as Torre at stroking the egos in the Yankee clubhouse.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Torre started his major league career in Milwaukee. It's likely he would retire, but who knows after a year maybe he'll get the itch to manage again and what better place than where he started with a talented young team. Attanasio has been a Yankee fan his entire life and has to love the idea of Torre managing the Brewers. Heck Jack McKeon managed well into his 70's and Torre is "just" 67.

The article with the Steinbrenner interview was written by Ian O'Connor in the Bergen Record. It's a good paper and not at all a tabloid. O'Connor used to write for USA Today, and I don't think his work was ever of questionable integrity. Then, the AP took the story and did their own take on it.

The most compelling part of the article should be that Steinbrenner seems to have a lot more going on than we thought. There was another piece written recently that made him out to be a somewhat pathetic figure, seemingly having lost a lot of mental prowess. And while he may not have his best fastball anymore, it doesn't look as though he's ready to be spoon fed his oatmeal.

My thought is that it just may be time for Torre to go. It's Steinbrenner's team, and he has every right to establish his own expectations. If the team isn't meeting them, then he's in his right to make a switch. Who knows if another guy can light a fire under that Yankees team, but the stoic, controlled father figure on the bench may just not be reaching these guys anymore.

Let Girardi or Mattingly have a go at it. . .or my personal fave, Bobby Valentine.

ryne100, your avatar just about made me spit out my water. awesome.

And while he may not have his best fastball anymore, it doesn't look as though he's ready to be spoon fed his oatmeal.

This made me giggle, too.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While I agree with what you say JIMH5 about it being "his" team, it is comforting to know that in our decisions we plant the seeds of our own destruction. Steinbrenner may indeed be a wiser man in some ways, but Torre has forgotten more baseball than George will ever know. If he continues to throw money at players he will insure his unhappiness, which quite frankly, delights me. His attitude of "I deserve to win because I've got the biggest payroll" flies in the face of logic and hard work and intelligence. Maybe in a bygone era could the rights of Kings and Tyrants be asserted, but the world has left the George Steinbrenners behind.

I agree with King Georgeabout the insect thing. His millionaires couldn't be expected to compete with a young Indian team with merley half the millionaires if the game was infested with insects. After all the really rich guys expect first class treatment and perfect conditions where as the merely rich guys more or less expect some minor inconvienences. It was blantanty unfair to the best team money could buy to have to deal with the exact same conditions as the other team. That's just not the Yankee way.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

While I agree with what you say JIMH5 about it being "his" team, it is comforting to know that in our decisions we plant the seeds of our own destruction. Steinbrenner may indeed be a wiser man in some ways, but Torre has forgotten more baseball than George will ever know. If he continues to throw money at players he will insure his unhappiness, which quite frankly, delights me. His attitude of "I deserve to win because I've got the biggest payroll" flies in the face of logic and hard work and intelligence. Maybe in a bygone era could the rights of Kings and Tyrants be asserted, but the world has left the George Steinbrenners behind.

That was a good post, Tbadder. I shudder to think that I'm now about to take George Steinbrenner's side on an issue, but I think I am.

He's an old man, in the winter of his life. He wants to win, really, really badly. He owns the definitive franchise in all of team sports, worldwide. The YES network has an estimated value of $3 billion. He draws 4 million fans per year. He has the resources to pay whatever it takes to get players, coaches and managers--so why shouldn't he spend it? He pays his luxury taxes, and revenue sharing and all the other things that penalize him for having what he has.

I don't think he says "I deserve to win because I've got the biggest payroll". I think he says "I want to win, and I have the resources to do whatever it takes to win, and so I'll use those resources to give myself the best chance to win."

Yes, it's true that other teams are at a financial disadvantage. But that's not Steinbrenner's problem. He can't pretend that he doesn't have the money. New York fans wouldn't stand for it.

I love Joe Torre, and think he's a terrific baseball guy. But Steinbrenner wants to win the World Series, and the Yanks have been falling short in recent Octobers. If he thinks someone else can get the job done, it's not unacceptable for him to make a move.

I don't think it's as much Goerge making a move he feels necessary to win as it is his attitude. He's a bully who got his financial start the old fashioned way. He inherited it. The way he's treating a guy who won him more rings than anyone else could under the same circumstances is less dignified than Torre deserves for what he's meant to that organization. If he thinks a move is needed maybe not tell the press about it until the time comes. One would think an icon in your organization should be told of such things privately after he's actually lost in the playoffs. Then agian this is the guy who was banned from baseball for trying to spread lies about another icon in the organization.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived