Brewer Fanatic

Sheets to Mariners proposal

Jeremy Brown was 26 when he first played in the PCL. While Soto had a breakout year, he isn't projected to be much more then a gap hitter and his bat is still the biggest question mark about his game which the opposite is true for Clement. Clement is potentially a 900+ OPS catcher. That's just filthy good.

Plus, Johjima isn't good enough to "block" a guy like Clement. He's a catcher in his 30's coming off a .287/.322/.433 season. Basically, he's in "he hits good for a catcher" territory. Clement just hits good.

Johjima was 6th among full-time catchers this past season in OPS, plus he threw out 47% of would-be base-stealers. He's better than just a good enough hitting catcher, and he's no slouch defensively either.

Clement is always going to have to hit really well, as his defense is never going to put him in Gold Glove conversations. Clement through out 27% of would-be base-stealers at AAA. I don't mean to sound down on Clement, because I have always liked him, but I just don't think it is fair to slight Johjima's ability at all while giving Clement some love.

And as Kat mentioned, the Mariners could play Clement at DH and at 1B a little on days he doesn't catch. The Ms have always been at their best when they have a tremendous amount of depth, often attributed to the amount of travel they have given their location.

That said, if you're dealing Sheets, I would much rather see young pitching come in return, and I do some people are under-valuing the guy, even though he has struggled to stay on the field consistently the past few years.

Archived