Brewer Fanatic

Rotoworld 2008 roster projections

Rotoworld just released its 2008 Roster projections for the National League, including the Brewers:

Milwaukee

CF Dave Roberts

2B Rickie Weeks

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

RF Corey Hart

3B Bill Hall

SS J.J. Hardy

C Johnny Estrada

Ben Sheets

Jeff Suppan

Yovani Gallardo

Dave Bush

Claudio Vargas/Carlos Villanueva

Eric Gagne

Derrick Turnbow

Fernando Rodney

That the Brewers came up a little short in their breakthrough season had much to do with the bullpen and the defense. The club is in the great position of not needing any starting pitching help. In fact, with Carlos Villanueva and Manny Parra waiting in the wings, GM Bob Melvin can afford to deal both Chris Capuano and Claudio Vargas if he so chooses. He'll probably have to offer either Capuano or Dave Bush up for bullpen help, as Francisco Cordero and Scott Linebrink are both free agents and are long shots to return.

Replacing Cordero will be a priority. Derrick Turnbow just isn't looking like a reliable option, so the Brewers will have to consider Eric Gagne or a trade for Chad Cordero or Brad Lidge. Gagne, who was targeted by the club at the trade deadline, seems like the most realistic option. Capuano could then go for a quality setup man. To Detroit for Fernando Rodney makes sense.

Fixing the defense could be more complicated. Ryan Braun has the range to play third base, but he was flat-out awful and he actually seemed to get worse as the year went on. Moving him to left field and Bill Hall to third would make a lot of sense. They could then sign Mike Cameron or trade for Dave Roberts, a player they targeted as a free agent last winter. Unfortunately, it looks like they will leave Braun at third, mostly because they think 2007 first-rounder Matt LaPorta is their long-term left fielder. If Braun remains third and Hall stays in center, the Brewers are going to need a left fielder to replace Geoff Jenkins. They may settle for a Gabe Gross-Kevin Mench platoon, but they could also consider Shannon Stewart, Brad Wilkerson or Kenny Lofton.

Whatever they decide, the Brewers will enter 2008 with a strong offensive core and a deep rotation with two potential elite starters in Ben Sheets and Yovani Gallardo. They should challenge for the division title once again.

I can't believe they are projecting Dave Roberts to us... again! The guy is on his last legs. He is pretty much on his last change of oil and nearing the time his transmission is failing.

Gagne? Rodney? Ugh. I hope Doug Melvin does better than this.

They are also projecting Kevin Mench to head to St. Louis and platoon with Chris Duncan. I am all for it if Mench continues his hitting "tear."

Scotty Po and Andruw Jones are both projected to be Giants. One thing does stand out on me, they "project" that Cliff Floyd will share time in RF with Matt Murton despite the fact that Floyd already hinted at retiring.

rotoworld author must have DBack on the mind instead of Brewers GM name. Sloppy none the less, you'd figure the Editor would have caught it.

And a really old guy? Maybe Rotoworld has appreciation for salty old vets just like Yost does.

I'm not much of a TGJ fan...but all things considered, I would still put him out there over Dave Roberts. It almost seems like this guy is a big fan of baseball, but since he can't spend all his time on one team, he makes the same roster guesses that one of us would probably make for the Marlins or something (granted, there are plenty of people here that could make very good suggestions to other teams...I'm just not one of them).

Point is, if you don't follow a team consistently, it's difficult to decide what would be necessary for their roster for the following year.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Any of us could have written that piece, in five minutes. Don't waste your time debating the listed possibilities.

I could have written that, but I can imagine myself referring to our potential new CF as Bob Roberts.

It would certainly be interesting to see what walk-up music he selected. My guesses: Drugs Stink or The Times Are Changing Back.

not going to happen. I think Gagne is a very risky signing unless he would come cheap and on a 1 year contract. I think Hall is going to get a chance again in CF so a move to 3rd is doubtfyl, so I don't see Roberts coming here. I don't see Braun going to left. Interesting though.

I'm not much of a TGJ fan...but all things considered, I would still put him out there over Dave Roberts. It almost seems like this guy is a big fan of baseball, but since he can't spend all his time on one team, he makes the same roster guesses that one of us would probably make for the Marlins or something (granted, there are plenty of people here that could make very good suggestions to other teams...I'm just not one of them).
Point is, if you don't follow a team consistently, it's difficult to decide what would be necessary for their roster for the following year.

Exactly, if you're going to trade for Dave Roberts, despite the fact you're likely to be doing the Giants a favor by taking his bloated(well, not really that big, only realtive to his pathetic production)contract off their hands, you might as well just plug Tony Gwynn Jr into that lineup. I honestly don't think Roberts can or would do anything more than what Tony Gwynn Jr will do next year....and do NOT mistake that for me suggestiong Tony Gwynn Jr should be given more than a handful of starts if he makes the 25 man out of camp...which I hope he doesn't(it'd mean we haven't upgraded enough IMO).

Oh, and as for Mike Cameron, consider me a HUGE Cameron fan. The guy plays a Gold Glove Centerfield, has very good power, steals bases. Really just does everything well. Now he isn't a .300/.370 guy, more like a .260/.340 guy, but given our pourus defense last year, I'd take that. Especially if he threw in 25-28 HR's(park adjusted), and 20-25 SB's.

Rotoworld just released its 2008 Roster projections for the National League, including the Brewers:

Milwaukee

CF Dave Roberts

2B Rickie Weeks

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

RF Corey Hart

3B Bill Hall

SS J.J. Hardy

C Johnny Estrada

Ben Sheets

Jeff Suppan

Yovani Gallardo

Dave Bush

Claudio Vargas/Carlos Villanueva

Eric Gagne

Derrick Turnbow

Fernando Rodney

That the Brewers came up a little short in their breakthrough season had much to do with the bullpen and the defense. The club is in the great position of not needing any starting pitching help. In fact, with Carlos Villanueva and Manny Parra waiting in the wings, GM Bob Melvin can afford to deal both Chris Capuano and Claudio Vargas if he so chooses. He'll probably have to offer either Capuano or Dave Bush up for bullpen help, as Francisco Cordero and Scott Linebrink are both free agents and are long shots to return.

Replacing Cordero will be a priority. Derrick Turnbow just isn't looking like a reliable option, so the Brewers will have to consider Eric Gagne or a trade for Chad Cordero or Brad Lidge. Gagne, who was targeted by the club at the trade deadline, seems like the most realistic option. Capuano could then go for a quality setup man. To Detroit for Fernando Rodney makes sense.

Fixing the defense could be more complicated. Ryan Braun has the range to play third base, but he was flat-out awful and he actually seemed to get worse as the year went on. Moving him to left field and Bill Hall to third would make a lot of sense. They could then sign Mike Cameron or trade for Dave Roberts, a player they targeted as a free agent last winter. Unfortunately, it looks like they will leave Braun at third, mostly because they think 2007 first-rounder Matt LaPorta is their long-term left fielder. If Braun remains third and Hall stays in center, the Brewers are going to need a left fielder to replace Geoff Jenkins. They may settle for a Gabe Gross-Kevin Mench platoon, but they could also consider Shannon Stewart, Brad Wilkerson or Kenny Lofton.

Whatever they decide, the Brewers will enter 2008 with a strong offensive core and a deep rotation with two potential elite starters in Ben Sheets and Yovani Gallardo. They should challenge for the division title once again.

I can't believe they are projecting Dave Roberts to us... again! The guy is on his last legs. He is pretty much on his last change of oil and nearing the time his transmission is failing.

Gagne? Rodney? Ugh. I hope Doug Melvin does better than this.

They are also projecting Kevin Mench to head to St. Louis and platoon with Chris Duncan. I am all for it if Mench continues his hitting "tear."

Scotty Po and Andruw Jones are both projected to be Giants. One thing does stand out on me, they "project" that Cliff Floyd will share time in RF with Matt Murton despite the fact that Floyd already hinted at retiring.

Oh, and by the way, I don't see what's so bad about Rodney and Gange. The part I DON'T agree is that Cordero is gone. I truly believe that Mark A and Melvin are going to pull out all the stops to bring back Coco. I understand that Melvin hasn't shown a propensity to go out and spend big money on closers, or place a high budget value on them, but after his breakfast with Cordero, and well, our OBVIOUS shortcomings this year, I just see us ponying up the money for him.

So in THAT breath, Rodney and Gange look like godsends. And while I've been on the Troy Percival bandwagon for a while now, I'd be more than content with a backend of the pen sportings three all-star caliber closers in Gange, Turnbow, and Coco, and a SU man who anchored a WS bullpen just last year.

I think our biggest need to move Turnbow down a slot in our pen. We desperately need to be able to FOLLOW Turnbow with someone other than our closer. Problem last year, when he got into trouble(Well other than the fact that Yostie would wait until the game had been blown to yank him) Was that we didn't have anyone left. IF you bring him in in the 7th, and have Rodney and Gange(I'd imagine you'd only want to use Gange about 45-50 times) and didn't ONLY have Coco behind him, he'd be back to a 2.40-esque reliever.

I would think that we would be attempting to sell off some of our OF this offseason, not try to overstock it again. But as for our bullpen, I would be quite content to let Gagne and T-Bow go head to head for our closer job next year. Linebrink will hopefully be back. And Wise will have another offseason of thought and rest to harness the most belittling pitch in MLB, that changeup. The only thing I would like to see us do is try to make a proposal to the A's for Rich Harden. As for a good projection....

2B Weeks

1B Prince

3B Braun

RF Hart

LF The Grench

CF Hall

C Miller

P Yo

SS Hardy

Bad half of Grench

Rivera

Jr Gwynny

Counsell

Cirillo/Eric Hinske

Sheets

Harden

Yo

Bush

Soup

(Villanueva, when assuredly, you have an ace get injured)

Villanueva/Parra (AAA until an ace gets food poisoning)

Wise

...it pains me to say it, but Seth McClung

Linebrink

Shouse

T-Bow

Gagne

With a bit of progression from the young kids, that could dwarf any offense in the NL not in New England.

I would think that we would be attempting to sell off some of our OF this offseason, not try to overstock it again. But as for our bullpen, I would be quite content to let Gagne and T-Bow go head to head for our closer job next year. Linebrink will hopefully be back. And Wise will have another offseason of thought and rest to harness the most belittling pitch in MLB, that changeup. The only thing I would like to see us do is try to make a proposal to the A's for Rich Harden. As for a good projection....

2B Weeks

1B Prince

3B Braun

RF Hart

LF The Grench

CF Hall

C Miller

P Yo

SS Hardy

Bad half of Grench

Rivera

Jr Gwynny

Counsell

Cirillo/Eric Hinske

Sheets

Harden

Yo

Bush

Soup

(Villanueva, when assuredly, you have an ace get injured)

Villanueva/Parra (AAA until an ace gets food poisoning)

Wise

...it pains me to say it, but Seth McClung

Linebrink

Shouse

T-Bow

Gagne

With a bit of progression from the young kids, that could dwarf any offense in the NL not in New England.

That bullpen is worse than the BP that blew 16 3 run leads, and 6 or 7 5 run leads.

Second, what offense in the NL are you talking about? Not in New England? The NL?

Anyway, you really don't do much to upgrade this lineup, and you downgrade the lineup with Miller in there for Estrada. Rivera hit .215 in AAA with a .295 OBP. He's an awful big leaguer. He really is. I think we should go after a Yorvit Torrealba type, and maybe back that up with Damian Miller, and even that seems like a below average catching platoon.

Overall, this team is worse than last years team.

I think this team needs to do a couple things to take the next step.

-Sign Troy Percival. Dude absolutely came back with a vengeance this past year. .85 Whip, 1.80 ERA in 40 innings, 3.60/1 K/BB ratio. He's a big time closer, used to the pressure situations. Sign him to a incentive laden deal. 1 year/4 million guaranteed, incentives based on IP, Holds, ERA.

-Re-sign Cordero. I truly believe this team will do everything it takes to bring him back. Melvin took him out to breakfast to assure him he'd make a real effort to re-sign him, and he's expressed on many occasions that he wanted to stay in Milwaukee. Sign him to a 3 year 30 million dollar deal with a team option for 13 and a 2 million dollar buyout.

-Sign one more lower level FA reliever. David Riske is a guy who's going to be in the 1.5-2.0 range, and has been solid the last couple years.

-Sign Mike Cameron. Great CF'er. Improves your OF a GREAT deal, and with a number of better CF'ers on the market, he's likely to get a reasonable deal. Not only that, but playing in a park that isn't skewed greatly towards the pitcher would help his numbers a great deal. Good power, good speed. Could be a .270/.350 type guy in this lineup hitting 25-28 HR's and stealing 20 bases. Could sign him to a 2 year 15 million dollar deal. Otherwise, I like Gross and Dillon in left.

With all the money this team has coming off the books, and with it planning on raising payroll again this year, these moves are very plausible. Let Jenks and Mench go. Package Mench with Gwynn, or Z-jack or whoever for..whatever.

Anyway, roster looks like this.

2B-Weeks

SS-Hardy

3B-Braun

1B-Prince

RF-Hart

CF-Cameron

LF-Hall/Gross(not a strict platoon, more like Hall vs every lefty and half right handers).

C-Estrada

Bench

Calix Crabbe-Utility

Joe Dillon-1st/3rd/LF/RF

Craig Counsel

Yorvit Torrealba

Gabe Gross

1-Sheets

2-Gallardo

3-Suppan

4-Villanuva

5-Cappy

BP

CL-Cordero

SU-Percival

7th-Turnbow

MRP-Riske

MRP-Seth McClung

Loogy-Brian Shouse

Long-Claudio Vargas

Another suggestion I think could help out on a couple different fronts would be Michael Barrett.

Just hear this out.

1st-His three year splits vs left handers are VERY good. .295/.390/.967.

So you can platoon he and Gross. He's going to come cheap after a year in which everything went wrong for him, and he was always considered a clubhouse leader in Chicago until psycho Zambrano went after him unprovoked.

2nd-He allows you to pinch hit or pinch run or bring in a defensive replacement for Estrada late in games. He's not a great catcher, but hell, he's as good as Estrada, and he's a third option.

So you platoon Gross and Barrett you get a guy in Gross who hit .294 with a .400 OBP vs right handers in 06 with regular time, and in Barrett a guy who's been a very good hitters for a few years now. That'd be a second plan if Cameron didn't work out.

Another suggestion I think could help out on a couple different fronts would be Michael Barrett.

Just hear this out.

1st-His three year splits vs left handers are VERY good. .295/.390/.967.

So you can platoon he and Gross. He's going to come cheap after a year in which everything went wrong for him, and he was always considered a clubhouse leader in Chicago until psycho Zambrano went after him unprovoked.

2nd-He allows you to pinch hit or pinch run or bring in a defensive replacement for Estrada late in games. He's not a great catcher, but hell, he's as good as Estrada, and he's a third option.

So you platoon Gross and Barrett you get a guy in Gross who hit .294 with a .400 OBP vs right handers in 06 with regular time, and in Barrett a guy who's been a very good hitters for a few years now. That'd be a second plan if Cameron didn't work out.

Did I just read that you are proposing to put Barrett in the outfield? Seriously?

Did I just read that you are proposing to put Barrett in the outfield? Seriously?
Stranger things have happened.

No. Wait.

No they haven't. That would be the strangest thing ever.

Yes...you're right. A sub-par catcher moving to the Outfield WOULD absolutely be the strangest thing ever.

Especially since scouts have talked about that being a likely move in the future.

Yup....absolutely ridiculous. You NEVER move a player TO the outfield.

::Rolls eyes::

Why not just get Michael Barrett and have him play catcher?

Because he's not a good catcher. You can get by with a sub-par LF'er. You can not get by as well with a sub-par catcher. And since I don't see Estrada going anywhere, this just makes more sense.

We've got a whole in LF. Barrett hits left handers VERY well, he's got good power, he's a good enough athlete, and he gives you a lot of flexibility late in games with your catchers.

Archived