Brewer Fanatic

Wayne Gretzky hockey stick (edit: link now works!)

tnweill

I was wondering if anyone of you might be able to help me get a ballpark estimate on what an official Wayne Gretzky hockey stick might be valued at. I have absolutely no intention of selling it, as it was a gift for serving as an alterboy in my cousin's wedding. My cousin obtained it while she was a stewardess sometime around 1992-1994, not exactly sure. It is an actual game-used Gretzky stick and is signed by the entire team. I know next to nothing about hockey memorabilia, so I was wondering if someone here could help me out with a 'guesstimate'.

The reason I ask is because I'm in the process of moving into a new condo and will have to get personal insurance and was wondering if it might be worth it to have it insured seperately. Thanks for any help in advance.

Lelands has auctioned a bunch of Gretzky sticks in the past, and prices have ranged from around $800 to $2000, though there was one that fetched just $100. www.lelands.com As with everything, authenticity is critical. The cheap one must have had some questionable provenance. There's another auction house in Canada that specialized in hockey, and advertises in Sports Collectors Digest. They did Bobby Hull's personal stuff a couple of years ago and those pieces got a ton of money.

Not sure if Mears authenticates hockey sticks. They might be able to refer you to someone else if they couldn't do it.

Yes, the stick itself is aluminum and is silver w/black lettering, has "Gretzky" stamped on the top near the handle as well as the wooden blade. The blade is curved for a left-handed player also. I'm assuming the "two-piece" stick you're refering to means the aluminum stick itself and the curved wooden blade? Sorry, I really know next to nothing about hockey.

Nope, that isn't my screen name on ebay. You'd know it if you'd see it as it doesn't vary much from my user name here. I think I know who you're talking about though, whoever that person is has some very cool stuff that I wished I could afford. I'd like to know how they get their hands on some of that game used memorabilia.

Cool stick. I'm not completely sure, but that looks like former Badger Tony Granato's signature just below the stamped "Gretzky". I think he was with the Kings around that time.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived