Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost Yay or Nay thread: Hardball Times rips Yost

Brewer Fever
He then could have once again forced Piniella's hand by bringing in the one guy who has been steady throughout the meltdown, Shouse to face Floyd leading off in the 7th (and two batters later, Jones). Now Piniella is in a pickle. Does he pull his lefthanded bats for Murton and Monroe there or let his lefties face Shouse. Frankly, I'd much rather have Murton and Monroe in the game and Floyd and Jones out of it if I'm Ned Yost.

I'm with you here. Ned never gets aggressive, because that would require that he have a plan.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"that would require he have plan"

It's not a plan he needs, but the ability to comprehend situations and react with the right move. He gets into trouble because he has a plan and doesn't waver from it.

My guess is if he brought in Shouse in the 7th, Piniella would have stuck with his lefthanded bats, because he would have wanted those guys around in the 9th. Shouse likely would have handled that inning with relative ease, and allowed Ned to at least get to the backend of his pen in the 8th and 9th.

Is it coincidence that Yost rhymes with Toast? I think not.

No not really. After the postgame show on WSSP they have a "Toast Yost" shot of tequila or vodka or whatever they have. It's tough to see through the radio.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

No not really. After the postgame show on WSSP they have a "Toast Yost" shot of tequila or vodka or whatever they have. It's tough to see through the radio.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

Haha, i haven't listened to that show much lately. It might be some good therapy to start listening again. Although I'm afraid I wouldn't stop at a shot. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif

"The prospect of Nick Leyva managing this team for the remainder of the season doesn't really excite me.

I do think if the Brewers lose this series or worse, get swept, that should be pretty much it for Ned. I don't think he'll get canned before the end of the season, as there's really not much point to changing managers now. "

I hears ya, I3K, but I just feel this team is in a huge rut right now, and another voice, a major shake-up, like a new manager, could trigger a release of some endorphins from this roster, and it could snap them out of their collective sleepwalk.

Who would have predicted that old Trader Jack McKeon, taking over a young, talented, low-salaried team like the Marlins from Jeff Torborg, would have turned things around? I'm not saying Nick Leyva is The Answer. Or even Sveum. But this team just seems so psychologically "distracted", and Ned's positivity is not helping. Another voice, and not a joke like a Royster, perhaps even a disciplinarian, may at least wake these clowns up.

"Good managers never let thoughts like "we made a deal to get Linebrink to be our 7th inning guy so that's what he is", interfere with managing a particular game with it's particular set of circumstances. But Yost does this all the time. He doesn't stay focused on the situations at hand but is focused on roles he's defined for players ahead of time."

Very well said, JB.

Ned has these pre-conceived notions, these tenets of baseball that he clings to, tenaciously, regardless of what each new individual situation call for. Personal catchers (who suck, and can't hit) who get to play 40% of the time....that whole home/road use of your closer deal...playing guys named Wes....These all hurt the team's chances, and to his credit, Ned ultimately either reacts, or more likely, is TOLD to react perhaps by someone like Doug, but by then, it's usually too late.

I read Ned's quotes from last night. What's so wrong with saying, "I'm very disappointed in how this team's playing lately!"? Or "We're just not getting it done with creating runs, and that's got to stop!" I don't expect him to throw chairs, or melt down like Hal McRae, but his excuses, and general demeanor of satisfaction, seems to send the signal that "whatever you guys do is OK, you played well, you tried, the effort is there, we're still in first pla....oops!"

If we lose tonight, we can't gain any ground in this final Cub series. If the Brewers ever needed some motivation, this situation calls for it. And if they come out flat, or just fritter away another lead, then Doug should make a dramatic move tonight to shake this club up. I'm ready for someone who may turn out to be OUR Jack McKeon, whether his name is Leyva, Sveum, Kremblas or Yount. Because Ned's acceptance of all this failure is not cutting it.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

If we lose tonight, we can't gain any ground in this final Cub series. If the Brewers ever needed some motivation, this situation calls for it. And if they come out flat, or just fritter away another lead, then Doug should make a dramatic move tonight to shake this club up. I'm ready for someone who may turn out to be OUR Jack McKeon, whether his name is Leyva, Sveum, Kremblas or Yount. Because Ned's acceptance of all this failure is not cutting it.

Well put. I think what upsets the Yost is Toasters (including myself) is the general acceptance of these losses. 14 blown 3-run leads is not acceptable, not for a winning ballclub. Yost's emotions during the post game are pathetic. He sounds and looks like a beaten dog, no offense to PETA or the Atlanta Falcons. He has shown me nothing when it comes to the desire to win. They aren't battling out there, they are losing. Time to stop stroking the egos and show a desire to win ballgames, especially when your job is on the line. If my job was on the line, I am going to go down kicking and screaming, not slouching and whimpering.

I agree completely. Frank would be my first choice. It worked with a guy by the name of Tommy Lasorda.

Everywhere that Frank has been for the Brewers he has been a winner. He has taken the Stars and the Sounds to 5 or 6 championship series. He might not always win, but he at least is there with a chance to win.

He pretty much knows all the core players on the squad, Corey, Braun, Prince, JJ, Weeks, Hall, Para, etc.. The players love to play for him and he frankly just knows how to manage.

I believe that Yost was around Bobby Cox to long. And the Braves built their team opposite from the Brewers. Glavine, Avery, Smolts, & Maddocks is a pretty good way to start fielding a team. That's not the luxury that Ned had to build from.He had to start from the offensive end and try to create some sort of pitching with Sheets, drat picks that were not ready to come up, and journeyman pithers past their prime.

I bellieve it's time for a change. Leave Ned alone for now, but as soon as Nashville either wins the PCL title or is put out early. Bring him up. let him start to get his feet under him and come October 1st can Ned and let the "Frank Kremlas" era begin.

Suppan should have been pinch hit for in the top of the inning if Yost had it in his mind he would pull him after one guy got on in the bottom of the inning. Sure, he sacrificed, but giving up outs late in games with the wind blowing out in Wrigley is asking for trouble.

Suppan came to bat in the 7th with a runner on and one out. Stick Dillon up there and force Piniella's hand for once. Yost never puts the onus on the other manager. He always lets the other guy force his hand.

He then could have once again forced Piniella's hand by bringing in the one guy who has been steady throughout the meltdown, Shouse to face Floyd leading off in the 7th (and two batters later, Jones). Now Piniella is in a pickle. Does he pull his lefthanded bats for Murton and Monroe there or let his lefties face Shouse. Frankly, I'd much rather have Murton and Monroe in the game and Floyd and Jones out of it if I'm Ned Yost.

Yost is simply in over his head. It's nothing new. He's done this stuff for 5 years but only this year are people paying attention.

Good managers never let thoughts like "we made a deal to get Linebrink to be our 7th inning guy so that's what he is", interfere with managing a particular game with it's particular set of circumstances. But Yost does this all the time. He doesn't stay focused on the situations at hand but is focused on roles he's defined for players ahead of time. Notice that Ned's solution when things go wrong is to come out and say that he's changing a guy's role. Baseball doesn't work that way, Ned. Sometimes, the situations dictate the role, not the other way around.

I agree 100% with everything in this post.

Yost also rhymes with compost.

And coast as in coasted through the 2nd half while others pass us.

And change the Y to an L and you get Lost.

Change the Y to a C and you get "Cost", as in Ned Cost us a playoff berth.

Change the Y to a C and you get "Cost", as in Ned Cost us a playoff berth.

Most, as in most want him out. Or most definitely has to go.

Ghost, as in after the game Ned looks like he's seen a ghost.

You guys realize that's the third time in about six weeks that he let Suppan hit in the seventh, knowing that opponents hit over .350 against Suppan after the sixth inning.

When he's done that, the Crew is 0-3, and led each game.

If he knows that he's gonna yank him after one guy gets on, get him outta there and get a pinch hitter in there. They need to be way more aggressive than they have been.

Dillon, Jenks, and Gross had to be wondering what Ned was thinking.

No doubt, Ned needs to go.

http://kore.mitene.or.jp/~jamboree/hall&oates.jpg

Another Brewers choke: I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

Baby hair with a womans eyes

I can feel you watching in the night

All alone with me and were waiting for the sunlight

When I feel cold you warm me

When I feel I cant go on you come and hold me

Its you... and me forever

Sara smile

Wont you smile a while for me

If you feel like leaving you know you can go

But why dont you stay until tomorrow?

And if you want to be free, all you have to do is say so

When you feel cold, Ill warm you

And when you feel you cant go on, Ill come and hold you

Its you... and me forever

Sara smile

Wont you smile a while for me

I would put "Rich Girl" on here but it has a naughty word.http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Last night's handling of Suppan alone warrants a big fat NAY from me. That was the most idiotic move of the season. Ned is not qualified to coach in the majors. He is over thinking every stinking move right now.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Big time NAY for me. I was one of Ned's biggest supporters since 2003. But now after the complete collapse of this team and even previous teams although they were not in 1st or as talented they to just went into the tank in the 2nd half of the season we need a change and Im sick of his stupid moves. Like homer said, that handling of Suppan and then putting in Linebrink instead of Shouse was idiotic.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Cubs fans at work were even questioning that. They couldn't believe he took him out. They were happy that the guy who was dominating them all game was gone, however.

He looked like Suppan circa NLCS 2006 out there. Just nasty. Turning it on late like he does. Didn't walk anyone.

Archived