Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost Yay or Nay thread: Hardball Times rips Yost

Brewer Fever
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its really a shame that management is going to let this season go down the drain in the hands of Yost. We have all the evidence necessary to come to the conclusion that he is incapable of leading this team to the playoffs. His strategic in game managing has gotten worse each game and enough is enough. If we were 5 or more games out at this point I wouldnt care as much but since we are so close we need to do whatever it takes to win the division. Give Frank Krembalas the job now and we may yet pull this thing off. There is no reason why we should let Yost ruin any more of this season. It has been 25 years since our last playoff performance and its just not fair to the players or fans to let the season end without a playoff spot because of one man, Yost. Please get rid of him now so we can win the division.

Watching today, it dawned on me that Yost may not realize that there is a difference between the moves you make in April and September. If you want to trot untested guys like McClung and Aquino out there in April, fine. Let's see what we've got. But with the pressure on in critical situations, he hiccups at the most inopportune times. Last week: "Flow of the game." This week: "Played the percentages."

http://www.scdf.gov.sg/images/community_volunteer/learncd/firstaid/choking%20obstructed%20airway%20of%20a%20concious%20adult/choking_signs.jpg

another game full of questionable decisions. another loss. while many continue to defend with the "It's just the players' fault!", I can't imagine getting much worse from the Mgr. position to this point in the season. What a total disappointment. The chance to move less than a game behind, and we see Aquino, Spurling, and no Braun in a critical situation.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I was at the game today, and pretty much everyone in the stands booed Ned's decision to bring in Aquino. I've never seen anything like it. The booing occurred as soon as Yost motioned for Aquino, not after Aquino stunk up the joint. Can't really accuse the fans of second guessing on that one...but hey Ned, why don't you make another wisecrack about putting an armchair down in the dugout. It was as if everyone of the people in the stands knew it was incredibly stupid. Old ladies, small children, non baseball fans, people who showed up to the game high on methamphetamines - they all know Aquino sucks and was going to blow it, but not Yost. Total idiocy that McLung started the 7th and Cordero didn't pitch (he wasn't even warming up!) after Shouse.

Before the game, Mark Attanasio said something to the effect of, "There is no reason to believe Ned won't be back next year. He's done a great job over the past handful of weeks while Sheets was out." Well, apparently most people don't agree with that, and they showed it today. Me personally? I'd rather get a giant dong tattooed on my forehead than watch Ned Yost manage this team next year. I won't go to another game until he's gone.

"There's certainly no reason to think he (Yost) won't be back next year," Attanasio said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7185984

Hopefully, the season ticket buyers will be giving Mark a reason not to bring Yost back next year. I'm not one of them and don't attend many games, but I did spend about $250 at the ballpark this year. I don't think I'll go at all next year if Yost stays.

"It's the nature of the business," Yost said. "You go into it knowing that, that it's a very fickle business. You just have to be in the right spot with the right players at the right time. You're never going to make everybody happy.

That's Ned Yost, responding to a question when Phil Garner was canned. Ned, if the underscored is truly what you believe, then START PRACTICING WHAT YOU PREACH!

http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/mad.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Over the last week I've lost all patience with this man. I was at the game today. I've never heard a stadium boo a pitcher being taken out unless he just got shelled. The whole stadium was in shock that Shouse was taken out and it took every ounce of strength not to throw my camera at Yost as he was walking back to the dugout. What a complete idiot. The drunk group of guys in the box behind me had more sense that Yost today.

I put this over in the vent thread but I think it's better suited for here after marinating on it for a bit.

I looked at some stats after listening to the "playing the percentages" thing with Aquino:

Biggio:

VS LHP .331 .360 .492 .852

VS RHP .226 .260 .360 .620

Pence:

VS LHP .369 .418 .607 1.025

VS RHP .308 .341 .536 .877

Shouse:

VS LHH .167 .222 .208 .431

VS RHH .253 .323 .289 .612

Aquino (not including today):

VS LHH .286 .375 .286 .661

VS RHH .250 .350 .438 .788

That's YOUR manager. NED YOST. #3. YOST.

Just curious, does anyone here still want to see Yost back next year?

It's not inconceivable for a person to learn from their mistakes. This is Ned's first year with a team this close this late in the season. If I had some inkling of a change of philosophy on some things that I disagreed with, I could chalk things up to "you live, you learn". However, I just don't see that happening right now. I see things getting worse. So, as it stands, no. If the Brewers won like gangbusters and got into the playoffs, finishing strong, and I didn't see as many managing mistakes, I'd probably let him finish the guaranteed portion of his contract in '08 before deciding whether to extend again or not.

Today move by yost was totally his fault hy would you put Aquino in when you have Coco ready . september wins are too important to be throwing games away.enough with be with be yosted again.

Totally agree, it's not like CoCo can't handle a 5 or 4 out save. He has done it before. I would have gone to him right away after Shouse got that 2nd out.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Did any of you listen to Ned's postgame presser? He states that Pence hit's lefties 70 points better than righites. Where was that analytical knowledge last week against the cubs when Mench is hitting with 2 outs and the bases loaded in the 9th inning? What does Mench do against righites Ned? Do you only use statistics to defend your decisions when they are in your favor?

Although I don't think Aquino was necessarily the right guy to bring in to face Pence, I would have been very pissed had Ned left Shouse in to face Pence. Despite Shouse magically becoming awesome for 43 innings this year, he has been terrible against right handers throughout his career. I would not have wanted him grooving up an 80 mph fastball to Pence. You can't really fault Yost for bringing in Shouse to face Biggio, he brought in Shouse for Palmeiro and they pulled Palmeiro for Biggio. It might have made a little more sense to just let a right-hander face Palmeiro given how bad he has been lately, but I think that was a pretty minor thing. Also, I think Cordero should have been the man in the 8th inning after Turnbow didn't cut it. Even if he can't get 5 outs (which is very possible), it would make more sense to have your best reliever in there in the biggest pressure situation, and then have a Wise or someone else get the save after Cordero would ideally pitch out of the jam. I blame that more on today's save stat and closer usage than on Yost, though, because most managers have it ingrained in their heads that they can only use a closer when up by 3 or less in the 9th inning, and nothing else.

EDIT: All that being said, I think I'm about 50/50 about Yost staying or going. I really don't think he's as bad as some people make him out to be, and I'm very afraid that the next manager we hire may try to run some Ozzie Guillen-style small-ball crapfest and be a lot worse than Ned overall. But if the Brewers get rid of Yost in favor of someone that's not going to be a joke, I'll be fine with that.

Greg Aquino, IIRC, blew two games for this team: April 17 (2nd game at GABP) and 20 (Biggio's GS). So, he's been in AAA since mid-April because, well, he's not a MLB pitcher, and on Labor Day, with an opportunity to gain a game on the first place team, our super-intelligent manager decides its a good idea to pull a hot reliever who has a BAA of .250 vs. lefties, in favor of Aquino. Ned, if you want to play matchups, do not place Greg Aquino in a high leverage situation on September 3, when time is slowly running out. If you NEED a righty to pitch, why not Wise or Cordero? Jeez, even Spurling! Greg Aquino pitching in that situation was absolutely indefensible. And, heck, if you love to play matchups, how come you didn't PH for Mench on Thursday night? Lately, the consensus opinion on some of Ned's in-game management decisions have been the opposite of what he has done.

We have been quite patient with Ned. 2004 was painful, but by September, who cared anymore? 2006 was frustrating, but tolerable, due to the injuries. But 2007? This team had a playoff spot handed to them early in the season. Heck, this team has a tangible chance to win the World Series. Ned Yost is standing in the way. Fire him, tomorrow, please!

I think ennder's dubious vs. indefensible choices distinction is a good one. When it hit me was a couple years back when Obermeuller was laboring through the first few innings and Yost had him hit with 2 outs and the bases loaded. You knew he'd make an out and then give up some runs, and he did, but it was pretty early on in the game, and the season, and you could see why Yost did it. The Brewers rallied and two innings later Yost had him hit again with the bases loaded. He makes the out, is pulled the next 1/2 inning after giving up some more runs, ballgame. The 1st time, he's wrong but you can see it. The 2d time is just insane. There shouldn't ever be any just insane moments but they keep on coming. I live in San Diego and follow the Pads pretty closely and I don't remember one from either Bochy or Black. And it seems like the Pads every year get more out of what they have than Milwaukee. Yost does remind me of Schottenheimer, kicking away a playoff game just to prove to the fans that Martyball is dead.

In the last 55 games, the Brewers have blown 13 3+ run leads. Almost 25 percent of those games, they've had a 3 run lead and lost! 5 of those were 5 or 6 run leads. How can that not be some kind of record? They hold on to just 6 of those, less than 50%, and they have at least a 2-3 game lead the whole season. How can that not be on Yost? Or is it all the fault of an uncommonly large collection of choke artist players? The difference b/w a 72-90 team and a 90-72 team is 1 game out of every 9. You can't be kicking away 1 or 2 every week.

It seems like the Cubs are the reverse - winning a lot more games late than they lose. Yesterday they were down 5-1 and won 6-5. They lose yesterday and the Brewers win today and the Brewers are in 1st. Bad as the Cubs and Cardinals seem to be I don't see how the Brewers win the division if they're waiting for the shoe to drop every day. And I don't see what Yost has to offer in the long term. It always struck me before as a hysterical overreaction the get rid of him mid-season, but I'd can him today.

Great post San Diego. Everything you wrote was dead on. Anyone thinking Yost can be even a decent manager one day is kidding themself - and the sad part is this may include the GM and owner. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/eyes.gif

Can Mark A and Doug Melvin actually be dumb enough to think that this man is the one to lead the Brewers to a championship. If they do I will have lost all respect I have for both of them. I just wish they had the guts to make the move now and not let the season be ruined any longer by clueless Ned.

Archived