Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost Yay or Nay thread: Hardball Times rips Yost

Brewer Fever

Was there really even that much of a need to pinch hit for Sheets? Why not leave him in for another inning?

What's Bobby Valentine up to these days?

Sheets was really laboring and probably should have been taken out before he finished the inning but he managed to get out of his jam. There is no way you don't pinch hit for him.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's just no way we make it with this guy as our manager. He had that freakin' smirk on his face again. There is no way you bring in the new guys in a game like this. What is he thinking.

Oh well. At least we'll have the excitement this off-season of finding a new manager. It just hurts because we are still in a pennant race and we are going to salvage a 24-10 start, an 8.5 game lead, and much more because it's "unheard of" to fire a guy in September.

This is beyond absurd. Every post-game PC his defense in some sort of way involves the fans. Fans would second guess this...fans don't know this...fans aren't down in that clubhouse...fans cannot understand this. Are you serious? How anyone could allow a manger to retain his job even one more day when he continually manages with fan reaction at the forefront of his mind is beyond me. My jaw is on the floor.

So Ned really thinks Aquino vs Pence was the best choice? Really? Did he forget who Aquino was? Did he forget Aquino's special brand of letting every single possible inheirited runner score?

But in good news I hear Yost has a new endorsement deal. He is now the Official Midwest Spokesman for Bad Idea Jeans.

So now that almost this entire board has turned on Yost within a span of maybe two months, I am here to ask a question.

I know this bring up bad thoughts, but what was your tipping point with Yost? When did you turn on him? I've been pretty-much against him since last season, and can't even remember what my tipping point was, but I'm curious to see what you all have to say. I'd guess this board has gone from 50/50 to about 90/10 against Yost over the summer.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

So now that almost this entire board has turned on Yost within a span of maybe two months, I am here to ask a question.

I know this bring up bad thoughts, but what was your tipping point with Yost? When did you turn on him? I've been pretty-much against him since last season, and can't even remember what my tipping point was, but I'm curious to see what you all have to say. I'd guess this board has gone from 50/50 to about 90/10 against Yost over the summer.

My tipping point was when he went from dubious choices to downright terrible choices. Having Mench who has the lowest OPS of any hitter on the team against righties face a righty with the game on the line. Not replacing Linebrink with Shouse against Jones in the Cubs game. Bringing in the teams 15th best pitcher to face Pence with the game on the line today. These are choices that even my 8 year old son questioned, an 8 year old knows these are bad choices and yet Yost doesn't!

Honestly Yost has not only made some calls that I don't like, he has made choices that if you asked me what is the worst thing the manager could do right now and he ends up doing them. If you told me we had runners on and had to score a run with a righty on the mound the absolute last position player I'd put in is Mench. If you told me Pence was up with the game on the line the last person I'd put in is that new LOOGY, the 2nd to last is Aquino. These choices are just horrible.

I turned on him last week when he pulled Soup after hitting a guy on a 1-2 count when he had the opportunity to PH for him the prior inning. I haven't turned into "all out hate" mode like a lot of people here, but if he was canned today, I wouldn't shed a tear.

What's more interesting would be to see if the Brewers made the playoffs, would Mark/Doug have the justification to let him go early? That would be an interesting precedent.

Maybe Brewerfan should offer up a "manager-o-matic" feature in which you can input the parameters and spit out a managerial decision.

...How anyone could allow a manger to retain his job even one more day when he continually manages with fan reaction at the forefront of his mind is beyond me. My jaw is on the floor.

It started before the All-Star Break. The booing is getting louder and more frequent at Miller Park. I have been around MLB a long time. I have never seen a level of fan disgruntlement with a manger of a team in a pennant race 1 1/2 games out of 1st place and holding with 29 games left to play. The frustration reached a creschendo today as the final out was made in the bottom of the 9th. The fans have no confidence in this team now, and your jaw along with the jaws of countless thousands of fans at the ball park and at home are and will remain so for as long as the Brewers retain Ned Yost. Even the ushers are shaking their heads. Brewer fans want a playoff season this year, feel it is within reach, believe in the players, and are disgusted with this team's manager. The very idea that the team's performance is somehow the fans' fault brings one word to mind...pathetic.

(edit for spello)

Yost always made bad in game decisions, which I thought tended to be overcome by his other good qualities (mostly not abusing his starters). Add to that in game decision making should be the easiest part of the game so I thought in time he could finally get it. He hasn't. His coaching style also has to take some blame for thr downright terrible defense.

I've never been a huge Yost fan, but my most of my support for him eroded in the 2004 collapse. I knew he wouldn't be fired then, nor certainly after the somewhat "successful 2005 season. If there was a "tipping" point for me it was his continued use of Turnbow last season.

This year he had a reprieve from me. I don't remember which day I turned but I can tell you it had something to do with Spurling being used in a close game. That should never happen.

Seriously. Matt Wise has been a very good pitcher for three seasons. He hit a guy in the head (after getting a three inning save a couple days prior), then had a couple of poor games.

Suddenly all confidence is lost in the guy and he pitches once a week, mostly due to the fan-created idea that Wise had a crisis of faith in himself, and was now "mentally unstable". Thusly, the likes of Seth McClung, Greg Aquino, and Chris Spurling get to pitch in high-leverage situations, while Wise goes unused. This is ridiculous.

Am I crazy to think he might get canned tonight? Doug Melvin is an intelligent baseball man. The thought has to at least have whizzed through his mind. And then when he witnesses his manger continue to cite potential fan reaction as part of his reasoning behind in-game decisions, he honestly has to consider the option. I can't think of any competent executive who would listen to a manager use fear of what others would think as an excuse and not have the man replaced before the next business day.

Bruce,

I'll be honest and say that today was my turning point. I've pretty much supported Ned all the way and was accepting of his past blunders. But today I've never been madder in my life watching a game on TV. And I'm not a boo-ing kind of guy at the ballpark, but if I was there, I definitely would have been boo-ing the move to bring in Aquino (before the 2-run triple, mind you--who couldn't see that coming?).

However, I will not be quick to jump ship on him and have him fired right now. But I would seriously 100% stand behind and support a scolding my Melvin and/or Mark A. for trying to install confidence on AAAA guys in the middle of a very heated pennant race instead of going for the win with all bullets firing.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Am I crazy to think he might get canned tonight? Doug Melvin is an intelligent baseball man. The thought has to at least have whizzed through his mind. And then when he witnesses his manger continue to cite potential fan reaction as part of his reasoning behind in-game decisions, he honestly has to consider the option. I can't think of any competent executive who would listen to a manager use fear of what others would think as an excuse and not have the man replaced before the next business day.

I would be absolutely shocked if Yost were fired mid-season, unless the Brewers dropped like 6 games out of 1st place.

And I really don't think "fan reaction" was WHY ned made the moves he did. He just boiled over because of the boos (right or wrong).

I would be absolutely shocked if Yost were fired mid-season, unless the Brewers dropped like 6 games out of 1st place.

And I really don't think "fan reaction" was WHY ned made the moves he did. He just boiled over because of the boos (right or wrong).

Yeah, I know...I guess I'm having a hard time finding the right words. What I really mean is that the fans are in his head. In a way his moves seem to be made in spite. Instead of using common sense he takes a September pennant race as a time to prove a point. He's in charge and even if the logical move that fans could get behind is to use Cordero, he's going to prove his worth as a manager by taking the opportunity to build up the confidence of his 8th option in the pen. It's gotten to the point that it seems in order to distinguish himself from the everyday schmuck on the street he has to go against common wisdom and try to show how much smarter he is than the fans.

The every day mention of the fans clearly shows that he's not managing with a clear head. On any given day he'll be one of 2 things...gun-shy or reckless. Today it was the latter. And when that happens an executive has to act.

I agree. I also think he boiled over in anticipation of a reaction Mark A might've had to the fine farewell the fans at Miller Park gave Ned today. He is circling the wagons with the front office while his team is circling the drain. It is Ned's 'wiser-than-thou-fans' approiach to losing ball games that compounds this very problem. Oh those fans...what do they know anyway. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/eyes.gif

This is my first time visiting this thread even though I have seen its title many times. Before I thought it was ridiculous and a knee jerk fan reaction to want Yost gone. Today, I have knee jerked myself into the camp that wants him gone at the end of the year. There is no justification for the move he made today with Aquino or the Mench batting fiasco against the Cubs. I have looked the other way on most of his decisions, especially the ones revolving around Linebrink because that was Doug's mistake, but no more.

I know this team wanted to copy the Braves in terms of managerial consistency but there is a reason Bobby Cox has been around so long and why Yost should not be.

Unfortunately, I can't remember my tipping point with Yost, but it was quite awhile ago.

As for him getting fired today, it won't happen (maybe I'll jinx it and it will), if he was going to get canned mid-season it would have happened sometime in that 1-5 homestand and 3-6 roadtrip.

Leaving today's game, I heard many comments. I would like to share some of my favorites.

Young guy:

"Man. Yost is not a smart man."

Old guy:

"I'd love to whack that guy right upside his head. Who was that guy--Aq-a-something"

Me:

"Who? Really!?! Seriously, who?

And my favorite by a really drunk guy:

"We'll never win with Youst. He's terrible."

Archived