Brewer Fanatic

Ned Yost Yay or Nay thread: Hardball Times rips Yost

Brewer Fever
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nay times 48 billion after this Cubs series. First the way he handled the PH/Suppan/Linebrink/Shouse situation in the first game, then sac bunting and sending Mench up there with 3 lefty options on the bench tonight. But what's two games during the biggest series of the year? This guy better be managing a little league team next year.

Ned Yost has to go at this point, he is just completely lost out there. Its one thing to make a questionable choice here and there but its like he's going out of his way to make bad ones just to tank the season.

He will be gone, just a matter of this abysmal season playing out. No PH Mench is inexcusable. But we probably did need Jenkins for the 13th inning.

I don't think Yost deserves nearly as much blame as most do, but he's still a below average manager.

This team just isn't very good though, below average manager or average manager besides.

I posted this in the venting thread, buit it's worth repeating . . .

Let's review what our idiot manager did tonight. . .

1) He let's Mench start ahead of Dillon. That's stupid. Dillon is a much better hitter.

2) Twice he doesn't pinch hit for Mench against a righty. It's ridiculous.

3) He bunts with Hardy even though this team stinks at situational hitting and can't be counted on to execute. Why waste an out?

4) He lets Capuano stay in too long instead of letting him leave with some success and confidence.

5) He sits on his butt while Corey Hart gets called out on a HORRIBLE pitch that was two feet outside. How about arguing and showing you care?

And no, this is not hindsight. I was screaming at my TV all night.

This manager just really needs to go away for good

Nay, without question now. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't insist on playing L/R and R/L matchups ALL THE TIME, but to do it so so so frequently and not do it in the situation tonight is absolutely inexplicable.

And almost everything Ned says in postgame interviews should probably be in blue, because he has to be kidding.

Can we just lock this thread? THe answer is in. Nay. Frankly if they were by some miracle to make the playoffs, I wouldn't want him back anyway.

That's the only shot he has to retain his job, but that won't happen. I can't even imagine what Mark A is thinking right now.

Well Yost decided with the season on the line to go with Mench versus Dempster. That pretty much sums up the fact that in all his time as a major league manager he's still at the level which he needs VanDerWahl to tell him to get a pinch hitter ready. He is just incapable of learning.

Honestly, I have never been a fan a Yost, but i would never say to fire a manager during the season. But right now when a logical decision is put right in front of him he chooses even though my wife who picked up baseball this year is yelling at the tv to make the logical move. It simply astounds me. If the Cubs or St. Louis had a big lead right now i think it is safe to assume Yost would be fired right now. However, since the division is awful he will stay for the full year.

I posted this in the venting thread, buit it's worth repeating . . .

Let's review what our idiot manager did tonight. . .

1) He let's Mench start ahead of Dillon. That's stupid. Dillon is a much better hitter.

2) Twice he doesn't pinch hit for Mench against a righty. It's ridiculous.

3) He bunts with Hardy even though this team stinks at situational hitting and can't be counted on to execute. Why waste an out?

4) He lets Capuano stay in too long instead of letting him leave with some success and confidence.

5) He sits on his butt while Corey Hart gets called out on a HORRIBLE pitch that was two feet outside. How about arguing and showing you care?

And no, this is not hindsight. I was screaming at my TV all night.

This manager just really needs to go away for good

1) For about 38 AB, yes. It's ludicrous to think that he'll continue to hit this well. That wasn't so stupid.

2) I completely agree, there was absolutely no excuse on that last at bat. None.

3) I'd say bunting Hardy was the right move, for the obvious reason that a base hit scores two. Imagine if he popped out, and we then got a hit that only scored one becuase of it, or if he grounded into a DP. We'd be on Yost then for not bunting him.

4) I think Yost cared more about not wearing out the pen and not Cappy's feeling of success. And besides, he was pitching very well up to that point.

5) I agree on this one, as that was the worst call I've probably ever seen.

I'm typically a pro-Yost guy, and when I see posts that blame Ned for things that he shouldn't be blamed for, I think its kinda dumb and try to defend him. That being said, Yost deserves to be gone, simply for not pinch hitting JEnks for Mench. (among other things)

You know I wasn't even this mad the 2 seasons that Sherman cost us chances at the Super Bowl with his terrible coaching, Yost basically just spit in the face of the entire fanbase by leaving Mench out there in that situation. I'm done with him, there is no way he ever gets my faith back even if we manage to make the playoffs and go to the World Series.

How can you let a guy who's had 2 AB's in 6 weeks BUNT when you know you're replacing him?

If nothing else, PH Yo, or Bush.

Honestly. That may have been the dumbest thing I've seen.

Not to mention PHing for Billy, and not for Mench.

Cripes. Yes, lets take out the better defensive player who hits righties better, and not the terrible defensive player who can't hit righties at all.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think Yost cared more about not wearing out the pen and not Cappy's feeling of success

I don't blame yost for leaving cappy in, but yost can't be managing to save people anymore, they don;t have a lead to have that lucky option, they need to win whenever they can, so if he didn't bring someone else in because he wanted to rest the bullpen? That is wrong.

All that being said, I don't think he did anything wrong with capuano, how was he supposed to know that he would blow up.

BTA -- jenkins and counsel both better had the flu. Just look at craigs numbers with the bases loaded. His patience may have paid off big tonight. Either one, really. Honestly, i wanted cappy out after the first jack. I didn't understand JJ bunting. Mench should have been lifted in his previous AB.

Really what in the heck. On the other hand the brewers coaching staff did make one nice call with the pitch out. Although, I am confident someone jacked a sign there.

My vote is for Nay. I am constantly second guessing his pitching management and in game moves. When i consider how someone like LaRussa manages i don't nearly as much.

You know I wasn't even this mad the 2 seasons that Sherman cost us chances at the Super Bowl with his terrible coaching, Yost basically just spit in the face of the entire fanbase by leaving Mench out there in that situation. I'm done with him, there is no way he ever gets my faith back even if we manage to make the playoffs and go to the World Series.

Entirely agree, if anything it would be laughable if this team got to the playoffs under Ned. It's like a circus with that guy, and I don't even know if he could run a circus the right way.

Archived