Brewer Fanatic

The "Seriously, I don't get it - that song isn't that good" thread.

DougJones43
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about "Peggy Sue" - The Hollies. How ridiculous is that?

Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue,

Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty Peggy Sue

Who the hell couldn't come up with that?

Actually Buddy Holly. Hollies most famous song was Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress--

I second the anything by U2. They're music sucks and Paul Hewson is the most errogant, self righteous person in the world. He might as well have a sign around his neck saying "Look at Me!!!! Look at Me!!! I am doing good stuff"

And althought it pains me to do this, I'm going to say "Tom Sawyer" by Rush because I've started to really dislike it. They're one of my favorite bands, but I don't understand how this song became their highest charting and trademark hit ... and the one that gets played the most on classic rock stations. Just to name a few, songs like "Limelight", "Freewill", "Subdivisions", and "Time Stand Still" are all not only better, but would seem to be more mainstream friendly, too.

"Red Barchetta"

The concert version (in rotation play on MTV) superior to the studio version. I'm sure it's on YouTube like everything else. I'll let the younger guys find it.

Maybe Tom Sawyer was a 70's thing. I think their 80's stuff is better, but for whatever reason they got passed by.

I say we have a karaoke night where we can merge the efforts of both The Drunk Thread and this fine thread and sing (as badly as possible) as many of the atrocities listed in this thread as we can.

Picture it: Collectively, we'd be booed more times than Derrick Turnbow was this season.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

FTJ is 78 years old. Once you get past the blatant self-loathing of his posts you can hear the subtle clamoring for a Lawrence Welk revival.

Lawrence Welk hit on my grandma -- true story -- My grandparents were big fans of his show and they met him on a golf course in CA. They were staying at one of his hotels, and they approached Welk and told him they were fans -- he asked them if they were enjoying their visit, and my grandma said something to the effect that the rooms were a little chilly at night. Welk then responded by grabbing my grandma's hand and began stroking her arm and told her that she wouldn't have that problem if she were to stay in his room. Of course this all transpired right in front of my grandpa, but I guess if you are Lawrence Welk, that is how you roll.

Kat -- For it to be effective, self-loathing needs to be blatant, otherwise you just come off as a jerk.

I am still trying to figure out how Nickleback advanced beyond Grungy-Opening-Band-With-Gritty-Crappy-Songs stage. Oh, and how is System of a Down not a crappy indie group that only a few dirty elitists insist is good.

But yes, that new Beatiful Girls song and Fergie are just awful awful things.

Also, there was a just downright nauseating song from Tim Mcgraw and Nelly a while back. It offends my inner balance.

I'm assuming we don't get to include country here, though, right? Because I don't get it. Tried, but I haven't like anything since "Indian Outlaw". That song cracks me up.

------

Side note, this is the funniest quote I've heard in a while:

"I think that [old people] are entirely overrated as a whole"

Anyone ever have someone make them listen to a record (sorry, CD or MP3 for you youngsters like FTJ) or song because they think it's great? How uncomfortable is that? Or they will say "Oh you like them? I bet you would love this..here take it home and listen to it." Uhhggh, please, don't put that kind of pressure on me. Same goes for movies.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The one song that I will throw into the ring is "Brown-Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. And much like "Sweet Caroline" and Neil Diamond, I find myself liking the whole body of work by the artist but just can't get up for either song anymore.

Looking at the thread title, this is the song that I expected to have to contribute. Seven posts in, someone else had already spoken for me. Well done

Speaking to the plurality of other posts in this thread: I'll see your Nickleback, and raise you Coldplay.

...and I cannot condone any inclusion of Def Leppard's epic "Pour Some Sugar on Me." Even if some of the lyrics approach gibberish (how exactly does a "lover with a radar phone" live, anyway?), the overall rock-itude of the track shan't be overlooked.

I will side with anyone disliking Fergie (either solo or in conjunction with BEP), Dave Matthews Band, Sean Paul, or the collective works of John Mellancamp and Bruce Springsteen. I've also stated before that I don't particularly like the works of the Beatles and/or Rolling Stones (I'm a child of the 80s....which probably explains the whole Def Leppard thing).

Hollies most famous song was Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress--

Probably Bus Stop was more popular.

I am onboard with slamming Tom Sawyer as well. It is not even the best song on that album, I prefer YYZ.

Born to be Wild probably needs to mentioned in this thread.

I am surprised no one has mentioned BTO, I wonder if they knew they'd be providing music for 90% of the commercials in the 1990s.

The one phenomenon that I could never understand was Freaking Yanni. Like I would want to see someone perform elevator music.

Any song by any 80's hair band is awful to me. Extremely cheesy lyrics, and the musicians are never talented.

I know a lot of people that like them and I'm sure I'll get crap for it, but most Rage Against the Machine songs. I can appreciate the talent of their actual musicians, but I can't stand the whole Rap-Rock and/or Rap-Metal genre. To me it's just two completely different styles of music that should never be fused together. Not only that but some of their lyrics are just laughable. I mean it's cool that they're making music for a purpose and I can appreciate that too, but some of their lyrics are just plain bad. My friends and I constantly made fun of "Killing in the Name" whenever we played GH II last year.

Actually Buddy Holly. Hollies most famous song was Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress--

Which most people probably think is a CCR song. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I actually would have called "Bus Stop" or "Carrie Ann" the most famous Hollies songs, but my perspective could be off.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Generally speaking any song that encourages the dinosaurs in my parents generation to dance and makes them feel relevant should be discouraged.

You talkin' to me?

Old people are not relevant

I agree 100%

Perhaps it will work out for you and you won't have to endure being irrelevant.

FTJ is 78 years old. Once you get past the blatant self-loathing of his posts you can hear the subtle clamoring for a Lawrence Welk revival.

Nothing wrong with that, Janet Lennon was hot!

Which most people probably think is a CCR song. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I actually would have called "Bus Stop" or "Carrie Ann" the most famous Hollies songs, but my perspective could be off.

Not quite sure how the thread was derailed by Manchester's finest, but I'd have said "Air That I Breathe" or "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" were bigger Hollies tracks than all of those!

Anyways, others that came to me. Any country song that gets all patriotic and "recruitment poster" on us. Yes, Mr. Keith, I'm looking at you.

I'm a big fan of the Police but I absolutely cannot stand "Every Breath You Take". I want to hurt puppies when I hear it, srsly!

Pretty much all rap made after "Fear of a Black Planet" by Public Enemy sucks the big one too.

I'll also have to go with Bob Seger, esp. Turn The Page- you poor guy, the dreaded life of a rockstar.

The Cure too- curdles my stomach.

Journey, Air Supply, Loverboy, Reo - I can't stand them but at least they led me to the punk and alt. stuff.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Turn The Page- you poor guy, the dreaded life of a rockstar. "

That song was inspired by an encounter Bob had at a diner in Wisconsin.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Not quite sure how the thread was derailed by Manchester's finest, but I'd have said "Air That I Breathe" or "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" were bigger Hollies tracks than all of those

And I suppose maybe "Just One Look" would be most familiar to some.

Back on topic, how about anything by Stevie Nicks? Her popularity has always baffled me. She sings like a sick muppet.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Not quite sure how the thread was derailed by Manchester's finest, but I'd have said "Air That I Breathe" or "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" were bigger Hollies tracks than all of those

And I suppose maybe "Just One Look" would be most familiar to some.

Back on topic, how about anything by Stevie Nicks? Her popularity has always baffled me. She sings like a sick muppet.

....on helium!

Honestly, that "Landslide" song acts as a pretty good emetic round these parts, I can tell you. To be fair, even the Pumpkins couldn't save that turkey.

Archived