Brewer Fanatic

Braves won't attempt to re-sign Andruw Jones

AJhawk50

pogokat, quit guarding your true sentiments! I agree, though I don't actually hate the guy. But I don't live in GA, so what do I know? Jones is going to have a hard time finding a deal longer than 2 or 3 years, imho - and even that is going to weigh down whatever team signs him. Knowing Boras, Jones'll get his $15-ish/year, and probably hit around .250 with 30-ish HRs. Will he ever be the stellar CF again? No, but he's still probably above average or, at worst, average defensively.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

that's what I don't get, pogo. What team at this point isn't aware of his decline? I'd have to guess no one in MLB, and why would anyone do 6 or more years at that money? I understand where the market has headed, but still. Who can sustain that level of money with such a relatively mediocre return - or better yet, who wants to? Maybe the Dodgers, maybe the Rangers (I've heard their interest is in Hunter), maybe the Giants, ChiSox? I just wonder how many teams will really be willing to plunk down that many years (not as much the $$)
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator

We can only hope that owners will be smart this winter and not overpay Bonds, Jones, etc.

I doubt it though. As bad as some of last year's signings appeared to be, enough of them worked out (so far) to warrant the process continuing.

that's what I don't get, pogo. What team at this point isn't aware of his decline? I'd have to guess no one in MLB, and why would anyone do 6 or more years at that money? I understand where the market has headed, but still. Who can sustain that level of money with such a relatively mediocre return - or better yet, who wants to? Maybe the Dodgers, maybe the Rangers (I've heard their interest is in Hunter), maybe the Giants, ChiSox? I just wonder how many teams will really be willing to plunk down that many years (not as much the $$)

How about Baltimore. They dont seem to be aware of much at all. I wonder if they are aware there is a team in DC now.

I think he does have some name value. Will people just look at this year as an off year? Or that he is declining? I was at 2 of the Brewers-Braves games and he did make a couple of nice grabs in the outfield. The fans there loved him those two days. I'm a little shocked they flat out aren't bringing him back since he was a fan favorite.

I don't think I'd want to sign him, but there is a pretty good argument for him. He's only 30. Last year was such a huge, dramatic dropoff from his career norms. I guess I find it hard to believe that his career is over. I think he's still going to be a much better than average player in CF.

I'm not saying I'm shocked they won't pay 15-20 million. I'm just shocked they came out and said they won't bring him back. What if the market is bad for Andruw Jones and they could get him for under $10 million? Will they have burned bridges with him?

I think where ever he goes, it will be for too much. Shurholz is doing the right thing and not overpaying for his services. His numbers fell this year and there is no reason he is going to make a recovery.

Especially since they got Texiara, he eases the loss of Jone's offense.

I am assuming Jones can play either corner outfield spot, so there is room for him on alot of rosters, and I am positive someone is going to be paying out the Ying-Yang for this guy. Too bad the Cubs paid all that money to Soriano, or this could have been this summer's big signing.

I thought I read that he had a nagging injury most of the year, which is being blamed on his subpar season. It only takes one team to believe that and he has an offer that could be similar to Lee's or Soriano's. I would think 6-7 years and $100m is not out of the question.

Archived