Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Rowand

Perhaps the main thing to consider before we even think about signing a guy like Rowand is, what is our payroll going to be next year? If Attanasio goes fast and loose with the checking account and says we can have a $90 payroll next year, giving Rowand fair market value is more palatable, because there would still be plenty of room for other things. However, if Attanasio wants to shovel in the profits and our payroll stays the same or just rises slightly, I don't see any reason to bring in Rowand when there are greater needs. Rowand, to me, is a luxury item (and also to me, not a very good one).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rowand, to me, is a luxury item (and also to me, not a very good one).

Agreed.

Billy had a bad year, but has some indicators suggesting he can bounce back. I also think that he made good strides in Center this year, and I think he will have a good season next year both offensively and defensively. The money Rowand would command could be put to much better use somewhere else.

Well said, SB. Many of Hall's peripherals are not as alarming as his season numbers might suggest. Having as bad a year as he did, while still posting an ISP right around .170 is a nice sign for 2008.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived