Brewer Fanatic

Ontario Camping etc...

JoeH33
A couple of my buddies and I are trying to get a "weekend" camping trip together up in Canada, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good locations in Southern Ontario. I'm obviously researching online, but I thought it'd be helpful to see if there were people here with first hand knowledge of the area. There are three of us and we can probably spare $300-$500 apiece so we're ideally looking for someplace cheap where we can just do a bunch of hiking etc.

Check out camping around Lake of the Woods. Its an absolutely huge body of water that extends from Minnesota into Ontario. Its something like 1.5 million acres with 60-70,000 miles of shoreline...plenty of places to camp. Heck, this time of year you guys could probably get into a cabin for around $150/person if you want to be able to get out of the cold at night. Ill ask a few of my buddies who stay on the MN side to see if they know of anything and get back to you in this thread. We stay in Nestor Falls on the Canada side and its about a 11 hour drive. Regardless of where you go up there you are going to find yourself in the middle of some beautiful country, especially with the colors changing. A few words of advice...plan for a few hours at the border, especially if you guys are younger(there hasn't been a year that we haven't gotten shook down at the border). Buy all of your beer and any tobacco before you cross the border. Beer is a bit over $30/case and smokes are $8/pack. Buying these at the tax and duty free store will save you some cash. You can take up to a case of beer or bottle of booze per person...anything more and you have to pay the duty on it(still cheaper than buying it up there.) Also make sure you check to see what you can or cannot cross with and then buy your groceries in the US. The US dollar is at even par with the Canadian dollar and it sucks. If you have any other questions drop me an e-mail at elazenby19@yahoo.com. I have a ton of maps of the area, including a bunch of the lakes, and I know a few resort owners that will probably be more than happy to make any money that they can this late in the year. If you don't want to get a cabin I'm sure some of them would be willing to let you camp on their land.

Archived