Brewer Fanatic

Another drowning in LaCrosse

homer
I've been to La Crosse a few times and I've been absolutely hammered downtown a few times, and I've never even seen the Mississippi River. Whoever this is happening to likely knows there way around town (from my perspective). They're going out of their way to get to the water.

I could be way off base here...but I had heard that he climed up the bridge. Did noone driving by not think to themselves that they should perhaps do something? Like I said, it is just what I have heard in a few of my classes. I have heard its a pretty busy bridge. I just find it hard to believe that noone stopped to do something. Or is the story I heard completely wrong? Looking for someone to clue me in please. Thanks.

i grew up in lacrosse so i kind of know what im talking about - that sounds kind of off base..first off theres two seperate two lane, one way bridges(the second opened about a year ago) going in and out of minnesota, they are both very well lit and the one he wouldve been walking on is the one that has a nice sidewalk/walkway(cant remember if the new one does) all the way down so it wouldnt be that unusual to see someone walking especially with the whole oktoberfest commotion going on...heres a picture of the bridge to give you a better idea, this was taken when the other bridge was still being built but you get the drift...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e20/tommyboy42609/Cass_St_1.jpg

Do college students drink too much? Yes. ... How many of you can claim innocence in [this] area?

I can. I've never been "wasted". It's not just the college campuses that have a problem, this whole state seems to have a problem. Until the society at large recognizes this problem it will remain hard to change the problem at only specific locales. I feel sorry for all the family and friends and I feel sorry for the loss of life. But I can not mourn too much for someone who repeatedly abuses a substance and still thinks it's not a problem.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"But I can not mourn too much for someone who repeatedly abuses a substance and still thinks it's not a problem. "

How do you know he did it repeatedly?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

"But I can not mourn too much for someone who repeatedly abuses a substance and still thinks it's not a problem. "

How do you know he did it repeatedly?

And for that matter, how do you know he didn't think it was a problem?

They said on the news last night that this kid had a BAC of 2.4

Not 0.24

That would mean that 240% of his blood was made up of alcohol. I'm no doctor, but I don't think that's logically possible. Normally, 100% is the highest value anything can acheive (the obvious exception being the Brewers, who I expect to give 110%).

I have no idea how people end up in the river. I went to St. Cloud State for my undergrad and the bars are closer to the river in St Cloud than La Crosse. My freshman year I lived in a dorm that was right across from the Mississippi and I never even thought about going near it. I just find it weird that all these people in La Crosse wind up dying in the river. I know how the drinking culture in La Crosse is because I am currently in grad school at UW-L and the drinking here is no worse than it was at SCSU. With all that said, I think it is very possible that a serial killer might be walking around.

I have to say that I also spent many weekends in LaCrosse, on 3rd St., and the only time I saw the Mississippi river was from Granddad Bluff or whe we took a trip up to Minnesota.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived