Brewer Fanatic

10/01/2007 Padres (Peavy) at Rockies (Fogg) 6:37 PM CDT (Wild Card Playoff)

1992casey
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prince, Braun and all of San Diego just got screwed by a terrible call at home plate. That was an amazing plate block, and Holliday never came close. I don't know anything about where umpires are trained to stand, but wouldn't it make more sense to be on the left side of the plate, where the play is occurring instead of screening yourself behind the catcher?

Edit: Although a quick thrashing at the hands of Philly with Pat the Bat and Ryan Howard leading the charge and Jimmy Rollins doing absolutely nothing could help Prince's chances.

The thing that really gets me is that after seeing that replay again, he was originally on the left side of the plate, seemingly in good position to make a call. But as the throw came in, the dude moved out of position. Pretty sketchy if you ask me, but odds are that's how they're trained for some reason.

Sadly Troy "David Eckstein out of Coors" Tulowitski will likely win ROY just because of this game. The stathead crowd will value his defense as much as they should but will ignore the fact he was criminally below average outside of the best hitting park in baseball.

too bad none of this had to happen if they ruled that "double" off the railing a home run like it should have been in the 7th (?) inning.

Great game, though.

Sadly, with the final week, Prince may have slipped all the way down to third or maybe even fourth in the MVP vote.

Did voters have to have their ballot turned in yesterday or could they wait for today's game? yes, I realize that this game was technically a 163rd game of the regular season.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I originally called McClellan 'out of position', but in watching the replay, he actually hustled to where he had the least-obscured sight-line on the play, and still missed the call. I have no idea how he screwed that up, especially since it looked like he was waiting to see if Barrett'd tag Holliday or if Holliday'd reach for the plate.

Holliday didn't do that (reach back) because he got knocked woozy by...the ground (and himself). The only way I can understand McClellan not seeing that block by Barrett is if he wasn't looking at Holliday's hand. But I don't understand how you wouldn't be looking right there, so I guess I just can't understand this at all. Outrage of a blown call - and I don't even care which team won that game!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I can't even imagine what Padres fans feel like. Awful.

Imagine this forum had that been the Brewers. We'd still be moderating.

Or else, we would have given up and all started cussing with the rest of you.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I can't believe Holliday didn't go back and hit the plate just to be sure, he had plenty of time. Barrett never having that ball is what I think lead to the call.

I think the ump didn't know whether he touched the plate and took a cue from Holliday not trying to go back and touch home and called him safe.

This reminds me of the 1985 WS Game 6 where the Cards let one slip away from KC with the help of a bad call, but still it was St. Louis' undoing.

Yeah, Holliday was probably out at home, but the finger should be pointing at SD and Hoffman. They were in control of the game and let it get away. I was pulling for the Pads a bit, but didn't lose any sleep over the outcome. If Colorado is the better team, so be it. I'd hate to see the Cubs win the pennant because Hoffman couldn't save a late lead.

Brewer fans had a rough summer, but Mets and Padres fans face a longer winter.

Final thought: I highly doubt if Tony Gwynn, Jr. gets traded to San Diego anytime soon.

I think the ump didn't know whether he touched the plate and took a cue from Holliday not trying to go back and touch home and called him safe.

How much of that was related to his faceplant in the dirt? That couldn't have felt good.

I'd love to give Holliday credit for not moving and making the ump think the play was over, but I'm not sure it's that easy.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I'm not saying Holliday did it intentionally and the ump likely didn't know Holliday was hurt in the timeframe before the safe call. Umps don't see every HBP either and sometimes get a clue from a hitter's initial reaction.

Archived