Brewer Fanatic

So who is out of options?

PrimeTime955

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We believe it to be accurate, but feel free to bring anything to our attention. Brewerfan's 40-man roster page includes option information:

http://www.brewerfan.net/ViewFortyManRoster.do?teamId=1

Tony Graffanino and Corey Koskie (both on the 60-man until after the posteason) don't appear on the linked page, but obviously both are soon-to-be free agents.

Also, for the Brewerfan Player Index -- Drew Anderson, Mike Jones, Hernan Iribarren, and Zach Jackson ae listed on Milwauke's roster, where they currently actually reside in the Brewers' org chart. All MLB clubs do that -- it's called "recalled not to report". It frees up space on the AAA roster for the eventual positioning of Rule 5 eligible players, which we'll discuss in detail as we always do, in a month or so. Remember, in the offseason, there is no 25-man roster, only a 40-man.

The one glaring name here is Mike Jones -- the Brewers will have to expose him to waivers this offseason (to clear up a 40-man spot) or next spring training. Jones would have to be signed to a minor league deal to remain with the Brewers.

I believe it's still October 12th or thereabouts that the Brewers control rights to all the potential minor league free agents (most of Nashville's remaining roster, for instance). I'll try and post that list later today or Thursday at lunch. Baseball America will have their annual list of available minor league free agents some time the third week of October.

Why would Sheets not have an option? I assume he has 2 or 3.

I think once you are eligible for free agency (ie after your 3 years + 3 arby years) you no longer carry options. And IIRC Sheets' would have been FA eligible last offseason.

Archived