Brewer Fanatic

Thank you Geoff Jenkins!

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone either can post the video of Jenks's catch in Wrigley this year, or even just the date of the game (I can't remember http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/embarassed.gif), it'd be appreciated. If it's just the date, I'll go dig up the video.

Also, any word on the video of the Jenkins send-off? I'd put it up if I could. It was a moment I'll never forget.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

thanks blingster! http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smokin.gif

I'd love to see him land in Seattle, since I live in their media market. They could definitely use his defense in LF - Ibanez is pretty much as good a DH candidate as you can find. I don't know if I'll be here all through the 2008 season, but I know for a fact that I'll be here into the middle of the season. I'd actually be able to watch a Brewer!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am glad I was at the game today. First the standing O Jenks got from the left field crowd at the start of the 9th before he started warming up and then the entire stadium saying good-bye to one of the good guys - played hard every day the way the game should be and the only time he complained is when he thought he should be full time at the start of the season and he voiced his opinion and then went out and played hard. It was great to see the young guys say good-bye too. God know how much he has taught the "kids" about the game. He will be missed and hopefully I can make it out to his homecoming game and give him another standing O

Thank You Geoff and Best of Luck!

I know I had a tear in my eye when he was replaced yesterday, and I know my girlfriend busted me for having my voice crack a little when i was explaining to her that he was being replaced in the ninth to get a proper send off. Glad she didn't say anything about it though. He will always be one of my favorite brewers and it was tough to see him go. I wish I could have gotten some pictures of him walking off the field but was to busy cheering to take any.

I did get a couple after the game though when he came down the rightfield line handing out T shirts and hats to the fans. Classy till the end.

I agree with everyone here - classy guy. I really respect his approach to defense. He wasn't given tremendous speed by any means, but he played an above average outfield with a lot of hustle -- and a pretty darn good arm.

Geoff was a good solid player. He deserves credit for that. He was loyal and suffered thru the lean years. He deserves a little more credit for that. He made himself into a way above average fielder, and he deserves credit for that. Next year whoever we replace him with will be offensively probably just as good. But on a team that lacks defense, any loss to the plus side will hurt.

i started a thread a while back about how fans need to give him a nice standing ovation. I was really ticked when only a few people including me stood for his at bat in the 7th, it was really frustrating, why didn't fans get that? Then people in left field cheered him as he ran out in the 9th, I'm glad Yost took him out, for the ovation.

Thanks a lot Geoff!

#5 Is Milwaukee!!!
http://mybrewers.mlblogs.com/my_brewers/images/jenks610.jpg

He was such a big part of that 2005 team finishing .500...when it came out that he was playing the last month or so with a broken pelvis, I was amazed. He earned my respect from that point on...it would've been easy for him to just call it a year after an injury like that during that season, but he stayed in the lineup and gave it his all despite what was surely some excruciating pain. It always seemed like Geoff would have a flare for the dramatic, too, with all the late-inning hits he came up with in recent years.

It's a shame that he'll likely only get to enjoy one winning team in Milwaukee, because he deserved so much better here. He's a class act and I think he was a huge influence on guys like Bill Hall and Corey Hart in the outfield. It won't be hard to replace Geoff's bat in the lineup, but it'll be hard to replace the leadership he offered to the younger guys in the outfield.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

My favorite Geoff Jenkins Brewer moment took place just this past Saturday. Jenkins had been lifted for a pinch hitter in the 7th I believe and he hardly left the top step of the dugout and then when Rottino walked the Brewers off he was the fastest Brewer out of the dugout by far and tackled Rottino. It just showed you how much he cared about the Brewers and achieving a winning season. A class act for sure.

Maybe I won't look back as that being my favorite Jenkins moment, but it summed up his career in Milwaukee perfectly.

I was able to hide my tears pretty well Sunday. That was one of the most touching things I've ever seen at The Keg. Not only were 42,000 fans giving Jenkins his due, but to see the young players also giving him hugs really touched my nerve. He always played 100%, even when injured and even when that play caused him to be injured. He also had the opportunity to bolt, but chose to keep going with the Brewers. I don't want to pay him the $9M (simply for the team's sake) but I will shed a couple more tears if he is not brought back. He might be the only player right now that could don a Cub jersey and get an ovation from me.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• 2 weeks later...

Good read, but I'd project Gross' OBP around .035 higher than the author does. I like Gross/Mench for LF in '08 with another cheap LH bat picked up thru FA or trade to take Gross' place on the bench (see: Kearns/Cordero trade idea in Trade Rumors forum).

The length of contract is what will get Jenkins to another team. I'm sure we'd be willing to offer something for a year but nothing any longer.

I always have and always will be a huge Jenkins fan. One of my favorite players of all time. He along with Jeff Cirillo made a lot of bad Brewers teams watchable in the mid and late 90's. Thanks Geoff and no matter where you go to play or if you stay here I got your back. I just hope you get a chance to play in the post season.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 3 weeks later...

More classy quotes from Jenkins today to McCalvy.

"I would love to come back there," Jenkins said this week, after the Brewers declined his 2008 option. "I don't know whether that means as a player or as a coach or in Spring Training [as a part-time instructor] like Robin [Yount] used to do."

I'm glad he didn't let the last couple of years of declining playing time taint the way he feels about the Brewers.

Best wishes Geoff. Like many have said, he strung together some good years when the players around him were truly awful. I think some people unfairly and unrealistically expected him to be a 40HR, perrenial All-Star kind of guy when he wasn't quite that gifted. He put up some very respectable numbers in Milwaukee and I'll miss seeing him out there.

Archived