Brewer Fanatic

Thank you Geoff Jenkins!

TooLiveBrew

I, for one, am not going to be suprised if Jenkins is back with Milwaukee next year. I highly doubt another team out there is going to offer Jenkins a starting job, considering he is obviously in a platoon portion of his career. If the Brewers do indeed try to trade TGJ this winter, the OF depth for this team isn't exactly going to be top-notch. If Jenks is willing to return to Milwaukee in a part-time role for reduced money, Id be all for it. The question is if Jenks would be for it.

I believe the problem is that, if you decline the option on a player, you cannot resign said player till May 1. And there is no way the Brewers will be picking up that big option for 2008.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bb123h, the May 1st thinger had to do with re-signing unsigned free agents who still weren't inked by a January deadline. But we don't have to bother figuring out who that might apply to anymore. It's gone entirely from the new CBA.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

They obviously love their veteran ballplayers, SF. I'd say there's a decent chance for that happening.
Jenks is a youngster in the eyes of the Giants! They'll probably haze him or have him shining Vizquel's shoes!

Not to chnage the topic, but they're really pulling for Vizquel to come back here.

If Jenks isn't to be in a Brewers' uni next season (and I don't think it's looking good), I'd love the chance to see him split left wit Rajai Davis here next year.

If Dunn doesn't come here (which is likely, despite Giants' fans wishes, I think), then SF could do worse than a Davis/Jenks platoon.

I was at the game and I had tears in my eyes when Jenkins was lifted and got that well-deserved rousing ovation. It was overwhelming. I want to thank him for always playing hard and being proud to be a Brewer. If there was one wish I had, it would be for him to be in the postseason as a Brewer. I really wish it could have happened this year.

Who knows what the future will bring. But I wish him well and thank him dearly.

I was at the game and I had tears in my eyes when Jenkins was lifted and got that well-deserved rousing ovation. It was overwhelming. I want to thank him for always playing hard and being proud to be a Brewer. If there was one wish I had, it would be for him to be in the postseason as a Brewer. I really wish it could have happened this year.

Who knows what the future will bring. But I wish him well and thank him dearly.

Whatever else we disagree on here at BF.net, surely we can all agree that Jenks, for all his faults, leaves as a Brewers legend and a great teammate to all the (often dreck) players that filled the rosters during his tenure here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Can anyone tell me if there's any online video of Jenks coming out of the game? I'm really disappointed that I had to miss the last bit of the game.

Anyways, Jenks had his ups and downs, he had a long run of injury problems, he was incredibly streaky, but despite all that, he put up a pretty good set of numbers in his 10 years here.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was at that ankle break game. You could hear Jenkins screaming.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't know which one had more tears for me:

Jenkins leaving the field after his potential last-game with the Brewers

or

Luis Gonzalez leaving the field in his last-game for the D-Backs last year

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I don't know which one had more tears for me:

Jenkins leaving the field after his potential last-game with the Brewers

or

Luis Gonzalez leaving the field in his last-game for the D-Backs last year

On BBTN they showed Biggios standing O. I think I would have cried if I was there in person, or watched the game live.

Geoff always played hard, sometimes too hard. It would be interesting to think of him if he didn't have those injuries in '01-'03. He had some great years in 2000 - 2001 with Sexson and Burnitz, and it was nice to be part of the BF.net effort to vote Geoff in as the write-in All Star in '03.

Unfortunately injuries, and a big hole in his swing caught up with Geoff. He's not old (he's my age, so I can't consider him old!) but as was stated it's the changing of the guard. It will be weird to see him anywhere else next year, but I don't see him fitting in with the future of the club. I would never have guessed that Brett Favre Jr (aka Geoff) would play his last home game in Wisconsin before his doppelganger.

Anyway, good luck Geoff, thanks for the past 10 years.

There are certain players that stand out, not because they do awful things off the field, but because they are steady, classy people on and off the field. For me, Luis Gonzalez (the former D-Back), and now Geoff Jenkins, stand out as two of the classiest guys I've ever seen play the game (and I've seen a lot of players come and go). If he isn't a Brewer next year, I will miss him, and I will gladly cheer for him, no matter where he ends up--okay, maybe not as a Cub http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Man, it's deffinatley an end of an era with Jenks gone. He fired me up a lot but you guys are right, he always played hard and never complained through the tough years. I will really miss him. Thanks Geoff, you will be remembered.

Does anyone know if there is some video of him coming out in the last inning, I'd like to see it.

I'm often a little teary as each season comes to a close, but the sendoff for Geoff had me welling up a bit earlier than I expected. I'll join in the well-wishing chorus.

Edit: I'll add a couple of favorite Jenkins moments. One was his walkoff hit to beat Bob Wickman and the Indians in the 2006 Fan Fest game. (I admit, as hopeful as I was, while standing and clapping with the rest of you that night, I was thinking "probably GIDP". Sorry, Geoff.)

The other is this:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/66/6661_large.jpg

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm often a little teary as each season comes to a close, but the sendoff for Geoff had me welling up a bit earlier than I expected. I'll join in the well-wishing chorus.

Edit: I'll add a couple of favorite Jenkins moments. One was his walkoff hit to beat Bob Wickman and the Indians in the 2006 Fan Fest game. (I admit, as hopeful as I was, while standing and clapping with the rest of you that night, I was thinking "probably GIDP". Sorry, Geoff.)

The other is this:

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/photographer/66/6661_large.jpg

Great memories hawing. Don't worry I remember watching that game against the Indians last year and thinking to myself if you're not going to get a hit I'd rather have you swing at 3 pitches in the dirt so we still have a chance to at least tie it.

And that was an awesome catch. When it came off of Barrett's bat I was like oh no this isn't going to be good and then Jenkins flies in. Made me so happy. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was at this game. Is it bad that I can recognize what games I was at just from one picture?

No, that's a certifiable badge of courage and validity! http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smokin.gif

And thanks, hawing for posting that pic! I couldn't find it in my search earlier today, and was bummed.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One of my favorite Jenkins moments was the game he had in San Diego (5/30/05) where he made a bunch of nice catches in RF. I'll always remember Jenks as an awesome outfielder who wasn't afraid to give up his body to try and catch a ball.

It took me like an hour, but I found the video of that game: http://www.mlb.com/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=mil&ym=200505

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived