Brewer Fanatic

If the worst case happens in the next 2 days?

naivin

Let's just say that the Cubs gain another game today, and 1/2 game tomorrow night, so that hours before the trade deadline, the teams are tied for the division lead...Look inside the heads of Attanasio and Melvin, and tell me what their thoughts are...

A. We need to do something now to make this team better and try to win this division.

B. Our team is good, we've just hit a bead stretch, and we've got a great shot at outlasting the Cubs and winning the division (or the WC).

C. I'm smart enough to know that the 24-10 start was a mirage and we aren't that good, I've had my eye on '08 since the season started anyway, and we're going to keep it that way. If we get lucky, so be it, but next year is the year.

The Linebrink deal tells me they believe in this team and do have sincere designs on making the playoffs, so I am inclined to say the answer is B. The nice part about B is that it can also incorporate C. The downside is they will seriously disappoint the fans and reinforce old perceptions - "the more things change, the more they stay the same" if they "collapse" and come up short.

Interesting. I'm betting B as well, from the Brewer's brass point of view. But could the Brewers be suffering from that syndrome that overrates homegrown talent? And is winning this pathetic division all they want? Does anyone really believe that Brewers have what it takes to go deep into the playoffs? St' Louis winning it all really hurt the Brewers I believe. They were the anamoly not the rule, but now the mentality seems to be just get into the playoffs and lets see what happens. I still think the Brewers need a productive LF and an awesome pinch hitter for when Estrada comes up late in the game. So I'd personally go A with Bush or Capuano as big time trade bait.

I'd say B but i'd hope they'd still be looking for another bat in the outfield. I know some people aren't a huge fan of Jermaine Dye, but I'd hope we'd make a serious run for him if the price isn't too high (after trading our top prospect for a reliever, what would even be considered too high though?) I think another veteran who has been there would be helpful, especially if he plays everyday, because most of the position players who've been to the post season are backups.

Archived