Brewer Fanatic

09/30/2007: Padres (Tomko) at Brewers (Suppan), 1:05 PM CDT

hawing

The only thing I disliked about today's game was that it was the season ender.

Like davemakovec, I thought the yellow padding meant a home run. Without the benefit of replay (I checked the TVs outside our section but one was showing Packers and the other wasn't working), from our vantage point I would have considered Ryan's and Kouzmanoff's either both HR or both not. I also thought Corey's triple showed more promise to get out than either of the aforementioned long-ish balls.

Another cool post-game thing we noticed was Tony Graffanino, in uniform and using a crutch, outside the dugout just after the game ended, giving hugs to all the players. Then he joined in with the end-of-the-season giveaways. One of these years I should try to wedge my way into that crowd. This year it was bigger than I've ever seen. Some players took giveaway items over near the other dugout to accommodate more fans. (I personally think they should visit the terrace level, but I know the odds of that. http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif )

And yeah, I really wasn't feeling any sympathy toward the Padres. No hatred (like I'd have to admit to for a few other very special franchises), but no sympathy. On Saturday, I hadn't even fully realized how close they were to clinching a spot. I was too busy willing TGJ to success (thinking, "do it while your dad's right here watching," instead of "stick it to your dad's employer in the most heart wrenching way").

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah, the Brewers ruined the Brewers season. The Padres just happened to be the team the Crew was playing.

Well said. One thing that cannot be argued is that the Brewers had plenty of opportunities in the last week to pounce on the Cubs' misfortunes and at bare minimum put some heat on them until the very end. It's disappointing that our oft-injured ace quite possibly costed us a post-season appearance all in and of himself. For those who disagree, can you argue that a healthy Ben Sheets wouldn't have given us 2-3 more victories? That is what makes this a bittersweet end to an otherwise positive season. 4 games above .500 is a great stepping stone for a franchise with great, young talent and a nucleus in tact for the foreseeable future. Heading into the off-season, I profess my everlasting confidence in our GM (in Doug I trust) and know he will find veteran leadership and supplement our weak spots (ex. bullpen).

the only bad thing about the players giving away stuff after the final home game was shown on FSN and was kinda scary. Prince came out with his handful of bats to hand out by the dugout and people started pushing and pushing. Suddenly, a security guy and some other guy rushed over to the crowd and had to pull a little kid onto the field so he wouldn't get crushed to death. The kid was happy to get a bat from Prince but he had tears of pain/scaredness rolling down his cheeks. Almost coulda been Badgers-Michigan-esque from 1993 (?)

There's GOT to be a better way to do this. I did like that they showed other players handing stuff out in other parts of the park (3rd base dugout, bleachers, etc.) so that's a start.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I really hope the Rockies win tonight and again tomorrow. It would be nice to know that we ruined the Padres' entire season in 2 games.

they "ruined" ours, so turnabout is fair play.

sorry, guys, but I clearly put the word ruined in quotation marks, to signify that I wasn't all that serious about it. Guess I shoulda put it in blue instead.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived