Brewer Fanatic

Crazy Night at the Nuke Plant

BuckyTuba

For those of you who don't know, I work at a nuclear plant in North Carolina.

We were going to take down the plant for a refueling outage at midnight, which we do every 18 months. I was scheduled to work 6pm-6am, but I was required to come in early for an oral board examination for one of the watch stations so I could qualify to operate components in that building. I passed my board (which was really difficult), and then I only needed to do a evaluated walkthrough with one of the bosses. We finish the walkthrough as the plant is being brought down in power slowly from 100% to 20% where we then trip the turbine so we can bring the reactor offline in a smooth manor.

We are about 90 minutes away from our scheduled shutdown time, and there are about 400 contractors and staff members on site ready to get to work. I am finishing up the paperwork to complete my qualifications (20% of my job title effectively) when the lights go out.

The jist of what everyone said was "oh, poopy!" Then the announcement was made: "Attention plant personnel, Reactor Trip". Suddenly, the office area I'm in bursts into action and everyone is immediately busy instead of waiting. The next 4 hours fly by, while I complete multiple tasks to put the plant in a safe condition.

I want to reiterate that the plant is safe and no one was hurt, and no contamination was leaked, but to have a plant operate correctly for 361 days straight and then trip within 90 minutes of your scheduled time is INSANE.

BuckyTuba, to quote Peter Griffin, "Holy crap!"

Seriously, nice job tonight, and I'm glad that through your own efforts and others', thankfully everyone/thing is safe. I can't even begin to imagine the amount of stress that must've been involved - nice job enduring it!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

how did i know this thread couldn't make it out without the obligatory simpsons reference.

Because none of us are smart enough to work at a nuclear plant and the only reference we know is the Simpsons. Unless you want us to talk about Three Mile Island or Chernobyl.

Check core temperature" Y-E-S.

'Vent Radioactive gas' N-O. Venting prevents ex-plosh-ee-on. Fine. Vent the stupid gas.

Hey all I have to do is press "Y" I just tripled my productivity!

i used to watch simpsons reruns after band practice in college because my roommates wanted to watch it, but i never got into it very much. i would guess the majority of people wouldn't care, but it's just an old joke that i hear all of the time.

on another note, i am completely exhausted after 3 nights of turning valves. i don't think i operated as many valves as i did last night in the first 9 months of working at the plant. fortunately, i have tomorrow night off.

Based on my life-long research in nuclear energy and its potential for super-powers, I am not sure why we don't send TGJ and Craig Counsell to the plant, so if there is a leak/radioactive insects/explosion Counsell and TGJ can perform at a higher level (.267 .362 .434) perhaps and give us a much deeper bench.

It seems like we have been given the pieces to this puzzle, the feat remains to interlock them together.

Crazy Night at the Nuke Plant...isn't that a tune by the Dead Milkmen?

Off subject, I met Joe Jack Talcum last weekend at a bar in Eau Claire. He apparently was in town to do some little indie show the night before. My friend knew the people he was with and later we went and hung out with him as he was just sitting all by himself at a table looking awkward while the people he was with went out on the dance floor.

Archived