Brewer Fanatic

When Bill Hall was hit ...

et bbal

First, I have been away for quite a while, so if this was addressed elsewhere my apologies. My question has to do with the game Prince got hit by St. Louis. Why is it that after the benches were warned, Bill Hall got hit (although grazes may be a better word) and the pitcher and LaRussa were not ejected? McClung and Yost were tossed and oviously Pujols was likely targeted while I don't think anybody thinks they were throwing at Hall. But, I thought once the benches were warned that the ejections were automatic.

Edit to add the following: Did Yost drop the ball when this happened by not questioning the umpires?

But, I thought once the benches were warned that the ejections were automatic.

There is no such rule. Basically it is all in the intent. The umpire has no obligation to remove the pitcher and/or manager if a batter is hit, unless the umpires rules that the pitch was intentionally thrown at the batter.

Archived