Brewer Fanatic

Interesting Question: Better to make the playoffs and keep Yost or miss and have him fired?

bklynbrewcrew
The way I look it at is we have all waited so long to make the playoffs that I would even be ready to keep Ned for next season if I had the choice between your two scenarios. With that said there is no justification for keeping him no matter what miracles transpire this final weekend.

I will always, always take a playoff berth over getting a manager fired. I don't care if the manager is Ned Yost. Losing just to get rid of your manager is a waste of a season, and with several huge arby clocks ticking, it would be even more of a waste.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Hey all. I read this site all the time but I rarely post. Anyway, the other night I was having an interesting conversation with my buddy regarding what is best for the brewers. I should preface this by saying we are both of the mindset that Yost needs to go for this team to make the next step (World Series contention). We were debating over what is better for the team: to have them barely make the playoffs and get eliminated(most likely-I know anything can happenhttp://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/wink.gif) but still get the youth some playoff experience or to miss and have Yost get fired. The die-hard in me wants October baseball in Milwaukee but the rational fan in me thinks that it would be better for the team in the long run if we miss the playoffs this year and get rid of Yost.

In order to answer I guess you have to assume that if we make the playoffs Yost stays and if we miss Yost is fired. I just don't think the brewers will ever be much better than what they are right now with Yost at the helm and to make the playoffs by the skin of our teeth and then have to deal with another year of potentially wasted youth isn't worth the fun of a few October games. Don't get me wrong I am forbidden under the laws of being a fan from rooting against the brewers as long as they are in it, I just think it might actually be better in the long run for the team to miss the playoffs.

I thought about putting this in the Yost: Yay or Nay thread, but since you already have to be of the Nay mindset to answer the question I thought it deserved it's own thread. If not please move it. Anyway I just wondered what you all thought.

I think it's disgusting that you would even pose such a question. Why on earth would you root against the Brewers making the playoffs, unless you are a Cubs fan. If your hatred for Yost is that deep, maybe you should find another team to root for.

Not an interesting question..whoever said there is no such thing as a stupid question was an idiot. If you can make the playoffs, you make the playoffs. You can always change managers.

I think everyone might want to come to grips with the fact that Ned is going to be back next year.

'Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

If the choice were mine, I'd take a playoff appearance (even a brief one) 100 times out of 100, because you never know when the opportunity will arise again. And yes, it hurt for me to type that.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I just love the fact that it has been assumed that it is that binary. I realize the original poster is hypothecizing about "what if", but to listen to all the Fire Ned invective you could almost be forgiven for believing that firing him guarantees us a WS down the line with another manager...

That said, I'm of the opinion that he should go because he's now become a distraction. If he stays we have a Winter and all of 2008 of Fire Ned posts to look forward to.

And god knows thats made this year SO much more enjoyable...

Well, if it's not Fire Ned posts, it will be Fire "insert manager's name" posts. Go to any teams message board and they all complain about their managers. It's similar to politics. It doesn't matter who is President, half of the country will not be happy. I think most of the complaints come from a vocal minority. JSonline ran a poll about keeping Ned around, and 65% wanted him to stay. Unfortunately, the 35% seems to be entirely on this board, and has chased away a number of good posters.

I just love the fact that it has been assumed that it is that binary. I realize the original poster is hypothecizing about "what if", but to listen to all the Fire Ned invective you could almost be forgiven for believing that firing him guarantees us a WS down the line with another manager...

That said, I'm of the opinion that he should go because he's now become a distraction. If he stays we have a Winter and all of 2008 of Fire Ned posts to look forward to.

And god knows thats made this year SO much more enjoyable...

I take the playoff berth. Cripes, we haven't had one since I was two, and there's no guarantee we get one with another coach. We could get someone amazing and have Prince and Sheets go down next year, and we miss the playoffs again. Or the Cubs could get A-Rod, have Zambrano go lights-out, and get other guys stepping up next year and win 100 games while we improve to 90 and miss the playoffs. After 25 years, you take one in the hand over two in the bush every time.

Not to speak for the original poster, but I don't really think he was implying that he was rooting for the Brewers to not make the playoffs. I think he meant that he felt it would be better for the team in the long run with a manager besides Yost (a point I agree with). He said he felt they could be World Series contenders after this season without Yost.

Of course, the way I see it, all you need to do is make the playoffs, no matter how good you are, and you have as good a shot as anyone at the World Series.

I will not get all other-posterish on you for starting this thread, but I would take the playoffs any year over the manager being fired. Even if it happened during the Davey Lopes era, lol. However, given the dire and current situation the Brewers are in, the playoffs seem unlikely. For me, this year, its almost a win/win situation. The Brewers are going to be good next year, and they will be even better with a competent manager (pending Doug finds one). I win if they go to the playoffs because I get to see a couple games, I win if they don't because I get my $900 back and Ned is toast. Maybe I should have posted this in the silver lining thread. At this point Ned has embarrassed himself and his staff so badly that even if they somehow make the playoffs I'm sure he will be shown the door. If I went to Vegas right now, and the odds of Ned getting fired were still 20-1 as a sports writer previously guessed, I would put a nice sum of cash on the firing. No doubt in my mind he is gone.

Unfortunately, the 35% seems to be entirely on this board, and has chased away a number of good posters.

You mean like lambasting someone asking an honest question on their 5th overall post?

And squambaum, just so you know, having bklynb-c & sheethead give the answers they did is all you need to take the temperature of this board! http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well, if it's not Fire Ned posts, it will be Fire "insert manager's name" posts. Go to any teams message board and they all complain about their managers. It's similar to politics. It doesn't matter who is President, half of the country will not be happy. I think most of the complaints come from a vocal minority. JSonline ran a poll about keeping Ned around, and 65% wanted him to stay. Unfortunately, the 35% seems to be entirely on this board, and has chased away a number of good posters.

I saw that poll, and it had 5,000+ responses. Hardly representative. Also, if you check again its 50.1% "Yes". And with that sample size, I would imagine something close to a 5% margin for error. I wonder if the same people who voted for that one voted 80% "No" to bringing Turnbow back next season.

Is it me, or does it seem like the pro-yosters are a bit mean and bitter lately, with the posts being very aggressive and attacking? Like people posting Ned-Must-Go in discussion threads is scaring off potential posters. Maybe the evidence for his dismissal is so overwhelming, people are finally done posting to his defense?

Is it me, or does it seem like the pro-yosters are a bit mean and bitter lately, with the posts being very aggressive and attacking? Like people posting Ned-Must-Go in discussion threads is scaring off potential posters. Maybe the evidence for his dismissal is so overwhelming, people are finally done posting to his defense?

I'd noticed that too, sheethead. I don't know whether or not your last sentence is or isn't true, though. When a debate devolves into, "You guys are all just mean-spirited, leave _____ alone!", there's not much room for objective discussion. Clearly DM likes quite a bit of what Yost brings to the job, therefore counteracting terrible in-game strategy. I am willing to admit and accept this and say, "Well, I'll just trust Melvin here." But it's by no means unfair to assert that the Brewers could clearly improve in that category, and there's really not much to say to contradict that.

I'd imagine much of the venom is due to the abundance of the criticism, and many people do take it too far. Unfortunately, that leads to many in the pro-Yost crowd lumping every critic together into a vat of Ned-loathing boiling acid, which simply isn't the case for every person who feels that we could improve the manager position. Just because there are a lot of examples of strategic mistakes doesn't mean everyone is necessarily searching for them.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think both sides are getting pretty bitter at this point.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If he stays we have a Winter and all of 2008 of Fire Ned posts to look forward to...And god knows thats made this year SO much more enjoyable...
Dude, how many times do you need to be told? If you don't like the discussions/criticisms of Yost, stop going into those threads. It's really not hard. You continually whine about having to read the stuff, yet you always show up in these threads. Are you a masochist?

In partial defense of bigredrobbo, the Yost discussion does sometimes spread outside its 'designated' threads.

Most of his complaining appears in the "Ned Yost: Yay or Nay" thread, and now this one (which specifically mentions firing Yost in the thread title). He once claimed that reading these things was ruining the pennant chase for him. He blathers incesently about how annoying he finds discussions involving Ned, yet time and time again, he shows up in these threads to read, post, and grumble that he doesn't enjoy the topic.

Like I said before, what conclusion could a person draw other than thinking bigredrobbo is a glutton for punishment?

Archived