Brewer Fanatic

which would you be happier with?

flosses like fossas

regardless whether the brewers make the playoffs at this point or not, they have put the fans through the wringer by not putting the division away in july and hanging on just enough the rest of the way. i'm a huge fan, i consider myself a die hard, but i'm near exhaustion from all of the suspect decisions and lack of clutch performances. that said, i was thinking today, which would make me happier - if the brewers had choked outright by the end of august/beginning of september and saved us the grief, or if they hung around as they have only to fall painfully short? on the one hand i'd be disappointed but could be fairly content to chalk it up to such cliches as having been "a good run" but the decline was inevitable for "a tired young team" and be excited about watching young guys get plenty of playing time the rest of the way in low pressure situations. on the other hand, i get to be excited about a real-deal playoff run but have to agonize over every single questionable - if not outright poor - coaching decision, every player left on base in one-run games, every baserunner allowed by our clown car of a bullpen, and in general go through a vicious 24-hour cycle of something like the following:

1) watch the game (with one eye on the cubs score)

2) check the standings after the game, win or lose

3) critique play, coaching

4) furrow brow, rub eyes

5) scrutinize what can be done to get over the hump until i go to bed (to be continued when i wake up)

6) check the next days probable starters

7) furrow brow, sigh; get another beer out of the fridge

8) rescrutinze; joke about/lament the cubs

9) go to bed, repeat steps 4-6 and 8 from morning coffee until an hour before opening pitch

i'm a young buck, and despite my fatigue, i have to say i'll take the rollercoaster and playoff run. in closing, please make note that i have not written them off yet, but this is a what if topic that may be more applicable in a couple days. obviously i want them to make the playoffs.

where do other people stand on this?

I agree with you. I've spent the last few days watching the Cubs and Brewers religiously. I've never been more frustrated at the team in my 22+ years of fandom (that starts with my birth). The only reason I've reached the level I'm at though, is because this is the first team that has been truly good enough to "let me down." I'm loving it right now, heartbreak and all.

I've been a Brew Crew fan for 30+ years -- barely recalling 1982 -- and as much as the last 10 or so days have made me sick... hey, the Packers are playing regular season games... and I am WELL in tune to what the Brewers are doing.

The true definition of bittersweet... And remember, the Crew is not winning with a bunch of last-minute, washed-up, signees...

And remember, the Crew is not winning with a bunch of last-minute, washed-up, signees...

Well, lately you can just remove "with a bunch of last-minute, washed-up, signees..."

I hear you, TLB... the Cubs have been doing us a favor the last couple of days.

I'm honestly really looking forward to it being over. Maybe after tomorrow night.

As much as I want the Crew to make the post season -- seriously, how far could we make it with our 'pen and streaky hitters?

No matter what happens in the next 3 games, I'm excited. Excited that we've had this opportunity to have meaningful games in September. Excited that the Packers, Brewers and Badgers are winning and playing well. Excited that on all 3 previous counts, we should have a few more years of this. Excited that the Brewers will be playing meaningful baseball in September, and October!

I'd just like to say that this has not been a pennant race. This is two underserving teams shooting themselves in the foot on a daily basis--neither should feel very smug or even good about themselves. There have been no moments of excitement, no awe or happiness over stellar plays, there's been no real drama. Memorable moments? Yeah right. And most of all there's been no battle. Watching the Cubs and Brewers is like watching Don Knotts hitting himself. For myself, this will go down as the worst year in franchise history. For a small market team, that has never been competitive, they've thrown away a year they may not see again for another 30 years.

wow Tbadder, worst year in franchise history. that has got to be a joke right? this has been one of the best and most exciting years of baseball in wisconsin in a long time and its been extremely fun to be a part of. to be at a bar last saturday when hart hit that homer to take the lead was great. to hear and see people excited about a team that has been so bad for so long, i'll remember for a long time. If you can't be happy about this season and see it as a stepping stone for the franchise, I feel sorry for you, you must not be a very happy person.

All I can say is I've had more fun this summer, caring about baseball, than I have had in about 25 years. I was at game 5 of the World Series in 1982. I thought at the time that it would be a regular trip to the Series. With the small market problem, and the strike, baseball has been hard to watch in Milwaukee. I started keeping track of our minor league teams when they finally FIRED Sal Bando. Dean Taylor, and now Doug Melvin made this a team to finally get excited about. What I hope for now is that this young team learned a lot about how each game is very important. If the Brewers would've held onto that 5-0 lead against the Cubs in Chicago, we'd be tied for first right now. That's just one game. I look forward to watching this team next year even more passionately than I did this year. Now, I will say this. I EXPECT this team to get into the playoffs next year, and there will be no more excuses. If Ned is really back next year, and they don't get to the playoffs, he has to go, if not now!

this month has been very stressful, but it still has fun. Usually Septembers is a time for a bunch of minor leaguers, journey AAAA players and the like to play at Miller Park trying to be spoilers. That is how my childhood was. While its been frustrating, to actually be able to get frustrated instead of keeping your eye on the kids to see if they can help next year or watching draft position, has been fun.

I don't remember the year, but Minnesota did this very same thing several years ago. They decided to go young and brought up all of their prospects at one time.

I remember last year feeling that this was the Brewers plan. In 2006 we got to see Corey, JJ, Prince, Rickey, Billy on a regular bases. Played so-so ball, but got everyone some experience.

In 2007 a few more new faces Braun, Para, & Yo. Actually in a pennant race on Sept. 28th. If we win great, if not it has been a great ride. Their kids, I think sometimes they were over whelmed with the excitement and pressure that goes with a pennant race.

Now back to the Twins. Pretty much the same pattern. First year so-so. Next year ran away in the first half of the season only to fall out of it in September. But by the third year they one their division and have been pretty competitive year in and year out.

So yes this year as made alot of us older faster, but just think of what these young studs can accomplish in 2008 with another year of experience under their belts.

I'm definitely proud and excited to be a Brewers fan.

Archived