Brewer Fanatic

STLToday writer talks about Yost's decision making in 9/26 game

adambr2

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That URL is fantastic

Given the game and season situation the Brewers were in, I couldn't agree more...save it for next year, Little Big Man. On the other hand, I'm not 100% sold that LaRussa was actually baiting Ned into losing his cool, although Ned's starting to get a reputation as a hothead, I'd assume.

Yost blew a gasket and Milwaukee blew a critical opportunity to leap closer to

the Cubs. Instead, the Brewers remained two behind, with time running out.

As John Rooney said on the Cardinals' KTRS broadcast: "This is one of the

dumbest things I've ever seen a manager do."

The Cardinals need to worry about their own crummy team.

Their manager was so bored watching his team lose night after night that he decided to start this whole thing.

Seth McClung has less control than Turnbow. To be 100% certain he was throwing at Pujols or was ordered to do so by Yost is unfair.

We do know that Thompson threw at Fielder, so he and LaRussa should have been tossed even without a warning.

LaRussa ordered his pitcher to throw at the league MVP on a team in a pennant race and he did it with impunity because the umpire didn't throw his pitcher out and for Yost to retaliate would be stupid in a pennant race. That Yost did or did not intentially retaliate isn't the point. LaRussa should be suspended.

Yes it was dumb, but at least it was Albert Pujols we were putting on and not a scrub. This was the most interesting thing:

In early August, Yost snapped at one of the Brewers' young players, then was confronted and shown up by two veteran Brewers in the dugout. Yost's credibility has continued to deteriorate.

Did I miss something? What is this about?

This is not the first time the opposing announcers/media have taken Yost to task. The fact that Ned quietly left the dugout, had already handed Sveum the lineup card, Pujols was hit on the first pitch, and Turnbow was warming up right along with McClung - Yost ordered the hit beyond any reasonable doubt, no question. LaRussa did it with better by doing it first, in the 2nd inning, with first base open on a 1-0 count. The link sums up my feelings as to the situation. It sucks to agree with anything Cardinals related, because I pretty much hate that team. Darn you Ned Yost for making me see it their way, darn you all to heck.

Seth McClung has less control than Turnbow. To be 100% certain he was throwing at Pujols or was ordered to do so by Yost is unfair.

Not to quibble here, but if McClung really is so totally without control, why was he pitching in that situation anyway?

Having McClung plunk him was almost too clever, if you ask me.

Not to quibble here, but if McClung really is so totally without control, why was he pitching in that situation anyway?

McClung's quote in his "defense"--"Why do you think Tampa traded me?"--made it seem all the more ridiculous.

In managerial circles it's considered poor protocol to take on the umpires for gratuitous reasons when your team has a huge lead. Yost went there anyway, and that apparently pushed La Russa into his famous "Don Tony" mode.

I really would love a Don Tony in Milwaukee.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to say.

Of course Ned ordered the hit. Not to believe that is simply naive.

Let's face it, LaRussa is kind of a jerk sometimes. As the writer points out, he gets into "Don Tony" mode. The arguing of balls & strikes with Cuzzi was more about the umps sticking up for each other after the Braves series than arguing in a blowout. Corey Hart taking an extra base in a blowout was just a young kid playing his heart out down the stretch. Suppan was not trying to hit Pujols, he was struggling on a high pitch count to get through another inning to save our bullpen. For LaRussa in some deep seeded paranoid state to extrapolate that into the Brewers are out to get me is ridiculous. So out comes "Don Tony" in his ridiculous baseball machismo manner and starts taunting the Brewers.

The only thing more ridiculous than LaRussa's juvenille antics, was Yost playing right into his hands.

link already posted in the IGT from yesterday and the 'Yay or Nay' thread, be that as it may...

but i'm glad to see this get traction a third place...

rooney witnessed all of the white sox championship season games, correct? so it isn't just those crazy internet boards that think Yost is stupid, imagine that!

OUCH! We even get zinged by Jay Mariotti... oooooh that smarts:

"...They didn't deserve favors from Milwaukee, but they got one anyway, a 7-3 loss to the Cardinals that reduces the Cubs' magic number to three. If you think the Cubs are embarrassing, no one looks dumber than the Brewers. Prioritizing retaliation over winning a big game, they foolishly traded purpose pitches with the Cardinals while trailing 3-2, plunking Albert Pujols in the eighth inning and waking up the sleeping St. Louis dogs..."

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariottiweb/577414,mariotti092707a.article

If McClung really wanted to show why Tampa Bay traded him, he should have ignored Pujols and plunked LaRussa in the chops while he stood in the visitor's dugout. The league should suspend Yost for the rest of the season, and force LaRussa to bat in a simulated game against McClung and Turnbow.

I hate the Cards, and especially LaRussa, but Ned got what he deserved. It's just another example how the Crew just isn't serious about winning. They'd rather chase "respect", which is just sickening. I took a lot of heat here for suggesting 6 weeks ago that the Crew weren't serious about winning because of an unprofessional approach at the plate, and getting on base. Well, I think this is another example of macho posing. Just like swinging hard at any pitch isn't really effort, or throwing to a base wildly just because there's a 10% chance you'll get the runner isn't really effort, so is this evidence that merely reacting violently to a situation is a fool's game. The Brewers will have to work mightily next year at "letting the game come to them," and at taking small advantages (like walks), in order to truly competitive.

Archived