Brewer Fanatic

Turnbow yea or nay

Jay Zahn

While it's true Turnbow has been left in games too long a number of times, the problem is that the only reliable alternative is Cordero. Had Cordero come in every time Turnbow put a guy or two on base, Cordero might have worn out.

I think Turnbow is toast and won't be back. He'll be included in a deal somewhere. I'm certain of it.

Why am I so certain? Well the obvious is lack of performance, but the real reason is that he made his manager look bad. The entire baseball world got on Yost when Pujols got hit. Had Turnbow gotten the 3rd out without any trouble, Yost would have gotten a pass. Of course Turnbow has made his manager look bad many, many times over the past year and a half but the entire baseball world wasn't paying attention. They are now. Turnbow is a manager killer and I think Yost has to realize it now and demand that Melvin trade him.

Obviously, Yost wasn't always judicious in his use of Turnbow, but Melvin deserves some blame for not assembling a better bullpen.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fan poll on JSonline is running about 85% against bringing Turnbow back. Fans aren't always right, but they got it right this time.
I have already admitted that I am a big fan of him, but he is really being ganged up unfairly. Yesterday i looked up his game by game stats. I would encourage everyone to do so. 80% of this outings are clean. 8% are bad and 12% of the outings he gives up a run or 2, which is not good, but definitely keeps up in the game. Now if we had a great pen with guys with ERA's of sub 3, fine. We don't. To run him out of town and trade him for someone like John Lieber is not a good solution. I suggest those who want to run him out, come up with a feasible plan for the pen next year. Good luck!

100% agree, Turnbow is far less of a problem than the dopes running the team who are apparently unable to make the obvious decision to remove Turnbow when he is struggling to throw strikes.

Is it possible that Turnbow has been overused? He is leading the team in appearances (among pitchers) and is tied for 9th in the league and 11th in MLB.

Overuse + Incorrect Use = 2007 Derrick Turnbow

It's so unfortunate that this guy has become a scapegoat, but there's more than just this season on the fans' minds. His inability to keep up AS-level performance last year is probably just as much a cause of the backlash, which is sad. I would be all for retaining him next year, as he clearly does have value - what complicates things is his $3.2 mil. salary for 2008. I honestly don't know where I stand right now.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As many of you know, I believe Ned and Turnbow are the biggest reasons the Brewers have fallen so bad.

However, I believe it does no good to trade him now because all you can get for him will be one of those $10 for free food coupons. I think if they use him as a spot reliever, much like LOOGYs, he may be more successful. He also might not. However, this is low risk and could be beneficial in the future.

By NO MEANS bring him back as the 8th inning guy though.

by all means, can we please just do away with the notion of fixed roles in the bullpen alltogether? "Closer" is one that's almost set in stone, I can live with that. But aside from LOOGYs & ROOGYs, why the need for an "8th inning guy"? It just contributes to the misuse of bullpens & pitchers. Our most valuable reliever this year was Villanueva (after him, Shouse), largely due to the fact that he had no set role and could simply fill in when his skill-set (and not label) was necessary.

Reflecting on TBow a bit, one reason he had so much success in the closer role is that a closer nearly always enters the game at the start of an inning, with no men on base, and not necessarily in a high-leverage situation. And how frequently really do closers go back-to-back days? I could get on board with Derrick in that role if nothing better comes along for 2008.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd say yea. Turnbow was very solid in the first half of the year. Even with his second half collapse, I'd still consider him our fourth best reliever (behind Coco, Linebrink, and Shouse). I wouldn't want him as the closer or set up guy, but I think he can still play an important role in the bullpen if he can regain his confidence once again.

Archived