Brewer Fanatic

Yost and McClung suspensions (Merged: I now feel a little better about McClung beaning Pujols)

endaround

The title pretty much says it all. You would think both could very well be in line for suspensions, which actually could kill McClung's career if its too long. Will anybody carry a marginal guy if he can't pitch for 10 days after he is put on the roster?

Now will MLB be strong enough to suspend Yost for two games with 4 left?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 games will not happen for McClung. Maybe 4. Ten gamers are usually reserved for serious brew-ha-has or emery boards and stuff.

I still don't agree with the hitting of Pujols in retaliation, if it was indeed what it was. Wait for that junk til next season--not in the 5th to the last game, a one-run game, I might add.

Oh, well. I still love the Brewers.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

bobskube's right. Managers can't appeal, so if there's a suspension, it's totally possible that Ned could miss time this year. I agree with pretendastronaut, too in saying this wasn't anything to behold. The actual game action amounted to a pretty boring HBP.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Some of the messages formerly in this thread relate much more to Ned's managerial performance than a possible suspension. They've been moved to the Yay or Nay thread. Please keep this thread on topic.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Would they really suspend Yost and McClung for something that happens all the time in baseball?

Yep. Players getting hit intentionally does not happen "all the time in baseball" -- Pitchers hitting batters after being warned by a umpire happens far less. If the league office doesn't suspend players, umpire warnings have no meaning.

Now I don't know if Yost will get suspended -- maybe he will get fined -- but something will probably come out of it.

Would they really suspend Yost and McClung for something that happens all the time in baseball?

Yep. Players getting hit intentionally does not happen "all the time in baseball" -- Pitchers hitting batters after being warned by a umpire happens far less. If the league office doesn't suspend players, umpire warnings have no meaning.

Now I don't know if Yost will get suspended -- maybe he will get fined -- but something will probably come out of it.

That is true, I forgot there were warnings before he hit Pujols.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I really think Yost is looking at a suspension because he now has developed a nice little pattern. This is the 3rd game of the last 4 he got tossed from right? MLB should really crack down on him because of that. Any player who manged that feat would likely be facing some time off.

On the question of how this might affect McClung's standing: When I saw that Yost put McClung in, I was kind of annoyed. But as soon as McClung hit Pujols, I got it. Yost used McClung in that spot because he was expendable. McClung was out there to hit Pujols and then get tossed. I'm not defending the move -- I think it was incredibly stupid, especially given all that's at stake -- but I'm pretty sure McClung was doing exactly what Yost told him to do.

Greg.

I would guess that Yost will get a suspension and that it may be enforced at the beginning of next year (1-3 games to start the season).

So we have a chance at a 3 - 0 start then eh?

I missed the throw as TiVo was busy recording shows so I had to listen to it on the radio.

I think it was incredibly stupid, especially given all that's at stake -- but I'm pretty sure McClung was doing exactly what Yost told him to do.

I don't know if it was on purpose but if it was I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were planning on pitching around Pujols or intentionally walking him anyway. That's the only way it would make sense given the importance of the game. McClung's problem had always been control so maybe it wasn't intentional.

On a bit of a rant here but it seems the appropriate spot. I've never been a fans of warning both benches. It gives the instigating team a free shot without the possibility of retribution. I think the offending team should get the warning not both benches. That would go further in preventing bean wars since not only do you have to pitch more carefully but your teammates still have to deal with a possible payback that game. As it stands the person who initiates the trouble gets all the benefit without any of the problems.

Second rant - This is another reaosn I don't like LaRussa. He's one of the worst offenders when it comes to intentionally hitting players. He always perceives some slight or another. Hart shouldn't have taken the extra base on a error in the 6th because of the score. Anyone who has followed the Brewers problems with losing big leads after 6 this year would understand why he did. I guess if LaRussa promised to mail it in and not try to score anymore runs that game it could be considered a breech of protocal. I doubt he did that. I have to wonder how long it takes for players on his own team to get sick of having to take one in the ribs because his manager felt like someone did something he didn't like seemingly every series.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

if suspensions occur this move is doubly stupid. First of to put a runner on with nobody on in the heat of the pennant race is one thing, but then to get the manager suspended is doubly dumb. If we don't have McClung for the rest of the year, no big deal. For Yost though to get himself suspended because of a riff with LaRussa is inexecuable.

i was at the game sitting in the front row and i heard the ump give both teams and the cards pitcher a warning after fielder got hit. a few innings later hall gets hit, then in prince's next at bat he get one high and tight. nothing was said, not even a long look by the ump, so once again we are not getting calls our way, no surprise. and we had the bases loaded twice and came up empty, so if we cant score runs and we losing bring in a nobody and hit their star player for hitting our star. and neither of them will get suspended, mlb has their hands full with more important issues regarding umps.

Archived