Brewer Fanatic

Who's your scapegoat?

Brewers defense.

I hadn't thought of that but I would agree. Give the pitching staff even an average defense and the entire season would have been different. Of course, you wouldn't have the same offense, though.

The offense has, IMO, more than picked up the D.

No... the Brewers didn't fall apart until Sheets went on the DL. This was after Capuano, Hall, Weeks, and Graffanino also got hurt.

The best scapegoat is the training staff.

The offense has scored the 5th most runs in the league. Our pitching staff is 8th in the league in runs allowed, but has walked the 5th fewest, struck out the 3rd most and given up the 4th fewest home runs. Given those factors, our pitching staff should be no worse than 4th-5th in runs allowed given an average defense. I don't think the offense has picked up the defense. And I think anyone who thinks the ptiching staff is too blame hasn't been watching closely enough.

The first scapegoat is Ned Yost (I don't care about the thread guidliness, I only care about the truth.)

The second scapegoat is eveyone who has a glove, except for Hardy and Hart, and possibly counsel.

The third scapegoat is Bill Hall.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewers defense.

I hadn't thought of that but I would agree. Give the pitching staff even an average defense and the entire season would have been different. Of course, you wouldn't have the same offense, though.

What if Hall was playing 3B all year, Braun had been moved to corner outfield during the offseason, and Hart had been the everyday CF? I bet our defense would have been better, and the offense would have been the same (maybe even better, if you believe that trying to learn CF negatively affected Hall's hitting).

my scapegoat is actually several people. It's the veterans. The youngsters did their jobs. But Turnbow, Jenkins, Hall, Capuano, Estrada, Mench, and even Cordero all wilted in the 2nd half. So much for those who said that youth would be our problem

For tonight's game, my scapegoat is Prince. I just felt the need to post that since it may be the first time I've legitimately felt that way this year. If he even just gets aboard in the 5th, totally different ballgame. 3-1 pitch and then 'that'? Ughhh.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I see the defense as a possibility, but it's easier to point out individuals. I'd have to say Sheets since his injuries played a big part in the demise of the Brewers this year. He had a big time shot to show he was a number 1 starter on a playoff team and he wasn't able to pitch.

The training staff could take some blame, but is it their fault if Sheets isn't in shape (if he's not in shape...my opinion is that he wasn't the start of the year, but I could be wrong).

Anyone remember a few years ago when the Packers were in the playoffs against the Eagles and 4th and 26 happened? It was just one play, but the defensive coordinator at the time (Donatell, I think?) was fired. Who, on the Brewers would that be? The defense has cost them, and the bullpen has been a big let-down. So fire Billy Castro? And does Sveum work on defense? Or do we chalk it up to the team being young (defense-wise) and give them a mulligan? I don't know. Only Doug knows.

I agree with you naivin. I don't think Melvin can be shocked with the defensive play and the trades he's made during the year haven't been the best. The best deal he made was possibly for McClung and that's not a move that's going to take a team over the top.

It has to be the best deal because it was the least amount of talent we gave up (I guess you could argue Sarfate, but in 7 IP he's been pretty darn good). Getting Ray King for a month doesn't look like it will put us over the top either.

Can we have do overs on a few of those trades?

Heard an interesting stat on Turnbow yesterday: Since August he has been in 24 games and has not allowed a run in 20 of them. Now those 4 have been blowups and some of the one's he didn't allow a run he might have been saved by a fellow reliever but.....83.3% is a pretty good success rate to get booed so often by his fans.

My vote get's spread between Hall, the entire bullpen, and the starters who didn't pick up the slack when Sheets went down.

If you put the 2006 Hall on this year's team, there is no doubt in my mind, they already have the division locked up at this point. So I guess I put most of my vote to Hall.

For the bullpen failures, some of that has to be on Melvin. I always believe the players have to get it done regardless of the owner, GM, or manager, but maybe Melvin picked the wrong pitchers for the pen.

Getting another legit 8th inning guy as to be priority #1 in the off season thou. Maybe that guy is already in the organization some where, maybe he's not, I don't know, but they have to put the entire organization on a full blown man hunt for him. Find him!!!

I love what Doug Melvin has done, and i think overall he has done a great job, but is it fair to start start turning a skepitcal eye toward he and his team's ability to asses pitching talent, or assemble a pitching staff? I understand pitching is at a premium, and very expensive, but it appears to be the number one problem with this team (I hate the defense as well, but they knew what they were getting with these players, and being that they are young, I am hopeful they will improve. heck, the fact that guys like Fielder and Weeks, are as good as they are could probably be considered a victory.). But, the pitching has let this team down more than any other aspect. They basically have a staff full of unreliable guys. He can't be blamed for Sheets at this point, but that situation must be addressed in the off-season. It is almost getting to the point where they have to plan as if he won't be there, and anything you get is a bonus (Obviously the Brewers financial situation makes that very difficult. ). Oustide of Sheets though, Melvin is responsible for every pitcher on that staff. He certainly done some good things when you look at Yo, Villanueva, and Parra. The Linebrink deal doesn't look to good (looked terrible last night with Thatcher out there), Suppan is a .500 pitcher, Bush is serviceable. CoCo has been good, but overall the bullpen is a wreck.

I'm probably being unfair, and I'm not sure I would even bring it up if not for the fact that there is a track record back to his days with Texas. He did a great job with that team too, but could never get the pitching to get over the hump. I suppose this off-season will tell the story, but if we are in the same position next year for the same reason, I think the scapegoat will be obvious.

The 24-10 start is my scapegoat. If they didn't start so well and had the same record as they do now, there wouldn't be nearly as many people as disappointed with this season.

I have to agree with that. I blame that and the Cubs getting better. I think we are nowhere near as dissapointed if any team besides the Cubs is in first place. Oh yeah and our bulpen/defense really sucks.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Just to post something different here, I blame Yuku. The Brewers were still (sort of) hanging on on July 31, when ezboard was still in use here; then came Yuku on August 1.

At least, the personal mojo I would normally contribute via this website was disrupted by the learning curve and service lapses involved in the software change. Note that the Brewers' record when I am at games (rather than posting here) is still solid - 14-7 with two games to go.

OK, sorry. In terms of on-field action I'll pick overall defense - which arguably started the domino effect of extra effort (pitches/outs) needed by starters, then relievers, etc.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The infield defense is a major problem. Errors and misplays extend innings and makes our starters throw more pitches. Therefore they can only pitch 5 or 6 innings, forcing the manager to use a lot of relievers to get through games. Then the bullpen gets worn down by the end of June. I don't see the defense improving much next year, since all four of our infielders will be the same guys. I see a lot of the same next year.

http://www.peeyourpantsforthebrewers.com/

Everyone was so worried about peeing in their pants, they forgot how to play. That, and didn't it seem like the whole thing collapsed after that New York to LA road trip that ended with that appearance on the Young and the Restless? Too many off-field distractions.

On a more serious note, one person alluded to Mike Maddux and Bill Castro. I think the "preaching the wrong things to the choir" or "just preaching to the wrong choir" comment is spot-on. I'm just not sold on Maddux. Doug Davis had two great seasons... then regressed to his old ways. Turnbow had 1.5 great seasons... then regressed. Capuano had two good seasons... then regressed. Cordero had 1.5 great seasons... then regressed. Wise had 2.5 good seasons... then regressed Sarfate, Eveland, Hendrickson, Adams, De La Rosa, and Capellan never developed. Who has he really helped?

As for Estrada, can we give that a rest? There are less than 10 catchers in the league who are above average both offensively and defensively, and it would cost a lot more than Doug Davis to acquire them. (One of them, Pudge Rodriguez, is a prime culprit of why Detroit missed the playoffs - .294 OBP, .716 OPS, 9 BB vs. 95 Ks, and with those numbers it could be argued that he was not superior to Estrada offensively.) Take a look at every roster, and count how many you see who are significantly better than Estrada. For those of you blaming Estrada I would like you to answer this question - had the Brewers not traded for Estrada, then who would have been their starting catcher? Miller, and his .636 OPS? He would not have held up all season as the starter. And as for DD, look past his 4.25 ERA this season to his 1.59 WHIP - higher than that of any Brewers starter including Vargas, Capuano, and Bush (hell, Bush's WHIP was just 1.39 - that's just bad luck). Give DD Milwaukee's bullpen, and his ERA would have been over 5. Give Vargas, Bush, and Capuano Arizona's bullpen and it would be a different story. As far as that trade goes, Vargas for DD was a wash and they essentially got Estrada as a throw-in. Say what you want, he was as good as they were going to get for Eveland and Krynzel, two guys who did nothing for Arizona this year.

Capuano had two good seasons... then regressed.

Not true, and if you're willing to check the peripherals, you'd see this. As you mentioned, a better bullpen, and our SPs look a lot better (don't forget the much better D that Az plays). Capuano has pitched as well or better this year than either of the prior two. He's had a lot of bad luck and a lot of shoddy D, not as much a regression. This is not to say that there isn't something to your notion on Maddux, as there are several examples of players moving in the wrong direction.

One thing I'd venture to guess is that, after a lights-out start, the NL competition adjusted to the way Cordero pitches, and he regressed more toward his career norms, as opposed to putting it all on Maddux. To say that 'DD & Vargas is a wash' is close, but I think the edge still goes to Davis, whose other peripherals are noticeably better than Claudio's (one of note is SLGA, where Davis's .429 is a career-worst, but only by .014, where Vargas's .471 is a career-best, but only by .002)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I blame the millionaire club on this team. According to the BF.net salary page there are 16 players with a 2007 salary of $1 Million or more. Many of the players just didn't fulfill their expectations. To wit

Ben Sheets - highest paid at $10 Mil, and missed most of the 2nd half

Geoff Jenkins - $7 Mil as a part time player, who never really had his hot month in the 2nd half

Bill Hall - our fifth highest paid, and was overmatched offensively and defensively at times

Kevin Mench - who at $3.5 Mil made our 10.5 Mil LF platoon way overpriced.

Chris Capuano

Derrick Turnbow

Matt Wise

The starts of this team (Weeks, hardy, Hart, Fielder, Braun, Villy, Gallardo) made a collective $2.5 million dollars.

We have a right to complain about this as we as fans pay their salaries.

I don't think the 24-10 start can be a scapegoat. I think had the team been .500 or a little bit above .500 the entire season, the fans would be just as upset as they are now, they would just grab on to different stats. Instead of the 24-10 record, the fans would mention

-The 15 or 16 losses when the team was ahead by 3 runs

- the 4 losses when the brewers were ahead 5-0.

- The 2 losses at the end of the season when the cubs got swept by the marlins and the brewers were unable to make up any ground.

The 24-10 record would just be surplanted by some other stat.

Archived