Brewer Fanatic

How long is Seth McClung under the brewers control?

ORLANDOBREWER

Given he spent time in the minors this year, McClung will finish the year with less than 4 years of service time, meaning he is under Brewer control for three more season with next year being his second arbitration year.

EDIT:I do believe however this should be his last option year meaning he must be on the 25 man roster.

McClung will make it somewhere, he just needs the opportunity and time.

He'll surely be given more opportunities, but it's far from given that he'll ever put things together. There's no shortage of hard throwers in the record books who never did.

Given that he threw 250 big league innings with Tampa, far from the glare of any kind of spotlight, it's hard to argue that he hasn't aready had opportunities. Tampa is no model organization, but they did let him throw all those innings in the bigs despite an ERA over 6 and a WHIP that started at 1.5 and went up from there.

I'd certainly love to see him develop into a reliable reliever, and there's still time for that to happen, of course, but right now his track record is not encouraging.

McClung appears to be pretty bad. I could see him having some success in Japan maybe, but a guy that can't throw a strike will always get rocked in MLB.

For him to be worth anything, he'd have to demonstrate some semblance of being able to throw strikes. I don't see it happening, also his stuff is not that great where he will be given as many chances as some people see him getting. He has a nice FB, but his breaking pitch is weak. The Brewers discarded 3 of those type of guys for nothing this year (Capellan, Balfour, Sarfate). They just aren't worth that much because not many guys with 1 pitch and little control ever become anything.

From what I've seen of McClung, throwing his breaking ball for a strike isn't his biggest issue, nor is his inability to consistently pound the zone with his fastball. It's that when he does pound the zone with his fastball, it's coming up there at 95, but most of the time, it is straight as a rail. I don't see how McClung is going be be effective over the long term unless he changes grips or something on his fastball, because major league hitters are going to hit a straight fastball they know has to be thrown for a strike, no matter how hard it is thrown.

He's a lot like Turnbow...worthless when he can't get a breaking ball near the plate. He might throw hard, but a major league hitter can crush a hard fastball if they know its coming. IF(big if) Maddux can help him get that breaking ball over with some consistency, he'd be a pretty good reliever.

Archived